SMF November 2016 Soap Challenge - Creative Colour Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the soap for this entry but the colour seems a little off...the green accelerated so much and so chunky that I wasn't really able to swirl (I swirled anyway).and I'm not sure why there are lots of tiny white blotches, happened every time the soap try to gel. It happened to all my Christmas soap. I'm tired of this and keep trying to prevent gelling by putting into freezer/ fridge for 24hrs after molding. Doesn't seem to help. :(. And I think to myself, Was it the fragrance? Was it the new molds? Was it...

Anyway, if I don't get to make another one by deadline, I'll submit the current one though:)

I like how my soap turned out, but I'm still waiting for the discoloring FO to discolor more so my soap colors are closer to the color wheel colors. I'm going to wait until the very last minute to photograph and submit my entry. Since I'm traveling on Wednesday to visit family, juggling everything that needs to be done will get interesting.

I like how my soap turned out, but I'm still waiting for the discoloring FO to discolor more so my soap colors are closer to the color wheel colors. I'm going to wait until the very last minute to photograph and submit my entry. Since I'm traveling on Wednesday to visit family, juggling everything that needs to be done will get interesting.

DeeAnna you knocked it outta the park with your entry, I LOVE IT! Great minds think alike as far as color scheme . . . even though your brown is achieved via FO instead of mica. You can't go wrong with Carolyn's DB FO plus you showcased a split lye soap with swirls to boot!

Thank you, Doriette! I'm tickled you like how my soap turned out. I'm pretty pleased with it too, although I wish the FO had darkened more before I took my entry photos. I'm leaving to visit family tomorrow, so I needed to get my entry in tonight or not at all. I figure I'll take my lumps with good grace for my soap not matching my color scheme. Like the judge said one time at a horse show, "I can only judge the horse I see right now in the ring." And that's okay. I agree our color schemes are similar -- but you added that nice caramel-gold color and I like that a lot. I was doing good to wrap my mind around creating a 2-color scheme -- I'm not sure I am coordinated enough to do 4 colors just yet! Wish photos could include smells -- the scent from Carolyn's Dragon's Blood is quite something.

The glycerin lakes of my first attempt which included too much water and to much TD with a discoloring fragrance. My hanger swirl turned out almost perfect but you can barely tell with the craters

2016-11-23_09-01-22

scheme.jpg

DeeAnna, your soap is so cool looking. I did the 95% NaOH and %KOH in my entry as well. And used vinegar instead of water.

I haven't been soaping with fragrances long enough to know when discoloring color changes occur with specific FO's, but it's kid of cool to incorporate that into the design.

BattleGnome, it looks like you got the Irish Spring Color down, at least as it looks on my monitor.

apples, that should make a nice Christmas soap.

doriettefarm, your soap is very striking. Nice job.

snappyllama, I just love your design, even if you did 'go overboard', the result is lovely. I also really like the color combination.

crispysoap, pretty soap. I have yet to try a tiger swirl.

It looks like voting is going to be a challenge!

Thank you for this opportunity, Saponista.

All the soaps are beautiful, and I think everyone did a very good job with the color wheel. And how fun was that to play with? Thanks Saponista for thinking up this challenge.

Well, I finally posted my entry. I wasn't going to because, honestly, they look like crap and I only had time for the one try. However, since I signed up first and was all gung ho about it, I had to post. The best looking as far as color is concerned is the penis soap. The second nicest one is a teardrop and bean. Side by side. In a plain grey back ground. That was actually an end piece. I don't think I'll do drop swirls anymore. I actually like circling Taiwan swirls the best. They're fun and I have no idea what the design inside is going to be. I also need to branch out more with colors. I stick to the basics and they don't translate well into soap for me. I prefer warm colors, but in soap, it seems the cooler colors make the better combinations. I guess I'm going to have to learn to love blue and green in soap and purple and orange on walls. I've been knitting like mad and neglecting the soap lately, so I'm probably going to be gone awhile. For me, at least while I'm still working, soaping is seasonal.

My camera was not capturing the soap well :(. The colors are more vibrant in person. I ended up doing a pseudo hp/cp batch so I could attempt swirls (I normally do HP), obviously my technique leaves much to be desired LOL.

Oh, and I forgot the FO until AFTER I had already put everything in the mold. Soooo this is a pretty unscented batch :smile:. Toyed with scooping the white back out and decided to leave well enough alone since I was at pudding stage already.
Realized whyyyy I don't do swirls and stuff LOL.

Loved the color wheel though, hope we do more of these so I can play too!

I am really sorry I didn't get around to making my award winning soap entry. In actual fact I haven't made soap at all this month. I really meant to but "things" got in the way. Congratulations to all those that put up an entry. I will vote at least. :)

Thank you for your entries everyone I love seeing and hearing about all your tries. I don't like to comment too much on the entries as I wouldn't want to show any favouritism! The entry thread closes on the 24th which is today, but as I am in a much earlier time zone, I like to leave it open until morning to give any latecomers a chance. I am at my biggest event of the year tomorrow so I won't have chance to do it in the morning, but the thread will close and the survey will go up when I get home. I hope that's ok. I am so nervous as I have never done an event like this before. Wish me luck!

I decided to enter my attempt. I almost just posted it here but then...
My entry was my first ( of three) attempts at this one. When I made it I was thinking how simple this challenge was but then I tried a second. Failed.
And a third. Not very good but I am slowly improving on the whole color in soap thing.
Sometimes the soap gremlins just pop up out of nowhere.

The entries all look much better than mine so I have no delusions of placing.
Thank you so much for doing this challenge and hooking me up with the color wheel!

Steve

I'm having some trouble voting. I have three entries marked and when I click the Done button, it says that I have to check three and three only. I have gone over and over it and have only three clicked, but it won't take it. I tried clicking two and trying, four and backing up, clearing the entire thing then re-clicking, but it will not go. Anyone else having the same difficulty?

Hmmmm.... I changed my answer to just one choice and it completed the voting! Now I can't vote for the other two I wanted.

I'm having some trouble voting. I have three entries marked and when I click the Done button, it says that I have to check three and three only. I have gone over and over it and have only three clicked, but it won't take it. I tried clicking two and trying, four and backing up, clearing the entire thing then re-clicking, but it will not go. Anyone else having the same difficulty?

Hmmmm.... I changed my answer to just one choice and it completed the voting! Now I can't vote for the other two I wanted.

Yes. I cannot get it to take my votes, either. Same result. I don't want to try the one vote only, though.

Sorry I was asleep, the settings had reverted to one for some reason. If you have voted for only one option then please vote again and I will delete the counts for the single votes from the totals. I'm working all day again today, but hopefully this has fixed it so I will come and check again when I get home tonight. :) Sorry about the confusion, I really struggle with survey monkey!

Back