SMF November 2016 Soap Challenge - Creative Colour Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Voted! Thank you Saponista.

I thought I posted that I was having problems too but that post disappeared or so I thought until I found it at the bottom of the entry thread! I've deleted it.

Last edited:
Fixed! I voted :)

Soooooo the soap gremlins even manage to find a soap SURVEY?!?!? Greaaat LOL.

Thanks Saponista for hosting the challenge!

That was incredibly tough. Everyone had lovely submissions!

Newbie, you nailed all your colors, and your pattern has such movement showing on every bar!
Dibbles, that dark blue is fabulous against the orange, and wowza your bars are like a groovy Rorschach butterfly!
Earlene, your lavender is spot on, and your pattern totally reminds me 1960s tea-towel my Grandma had (it was somewhere between psychedelic and Jacobean - but just a lot of fun)!
Blackdog, your palette and soap are truly identical, and I just want to gush over the tiger stripes and the top and how it all came out and how reminds me of mermaids!
Doriettefarm, could your colors be closer to your palette, umm no - they couldn't! I really like how your tiger stripes look like they are falling down - really neat effect!
DeeAnna, I just love the colors you picked especially that turquoise, your bars look like a piece a southwestern jewelry!
Apples, I totally dig your red and pink with the greens and am stealing your scheme for my Christmas soap next year, and I adore the Taiwan swirl on top!
BattleGnome, When I see your soap, I want to grab a knife, head for a tree in Ireland, and start whittling. You nailed the Irish Spring tones!
CrispySoap, I'm a little obsessed with your pink - it's soo pretty, and your pattern is simply lovely!
Teresa, As much as I love your color scheme - my favorite part is seeing your smudging the micas on top to check them. I seriously loved seeing your process! Plus the eggplant - LOVE the eggplant teardrop!
Nsmar4211, Teal is one of my favorites too and an awesome choice to build a color scheme around, and I completely dig the side to side effect - really pretty!
Steve85569, I'm just gonna say it - I adore your pattern and your bars. Yakkety Smackety about the nonsense you wrote about your abilities, those came out awesome!
Kchaystack, Wow those bars are fun to look at - they are so vibrant and the blue is practically electric against the other colors! They remind me of my misspent youth (ahem).
Mx6inpenn, Your palette is like spring in a bottle, and your swirls are so wispy and delicate - very ladylike!

Voted. You all did a fantastic job; it wasn't easy to choose three.

Unfortunately, my schedule just didn't allow me to enter this time. Looking at all the pictures was really inspiring, though, and it's great to have another tool in my soap making kit.

I love the way you spend time writig lovely comments about all the entries snappy. :) Thank you

Thanks Saponista for hosting the challenge!

That was incredibly tough. Everyone had lovely submissions!

Newbie, you nailed all your colors, and your pattern has such movement showing on every bar!
Dibbles, that dark blue is fabulous against the orange, and wowza your bars are like a groovy Rorschach butterfly!
Earlene, your lavender is spot on, and your pattern totally reminds me 1960s tea-towel my Grandma had (it was somewhere between psychedelic and Jacobean - but just a lot of fun)!
Blackdog, your palette and soap are truly identical, and I just want to gush over the tiger stripes and the top and how it all came out and how reminds me of mermaids!
Doriettefarm, could your colors be closer to your palette, umm no - they couldn't! I really like how your tiger stripes look like they are falling down - really neat effect!
DeeAnna, I just love the colors you picked especially that turquoise, your bars look like a piece a southwestern jewelry!
Apples, I totally dig your red and pink with the greens and am stealing your scheme for my Christmas soap next year, and I adore the Taiwan swirl on top!
BattleGnome, When I see your soap, I want to grab a knife, head for a tree in Ireland, and start whittling. You nailed the Irish Spring tones!
CrispySoap, I'm a little obsessed with your pink - it's soo pretty, and your pattern is simply lovely!
Teresa, As much as I love your color scheme - my favorite part is seeing your smudging the micas on top to check them. I seriously loved seeing your process! Plus the eggplant - LOVE the eggplant teardrop!
Nsmar4211, Teal is one of my favorites too and an awesome choice to build a color scheme around, and I completely dig the side to side effect - really pretty!
Steve85569, I'm just gonna say it - I adore your pattern and your bars. Yakkety Smackety about the nonsense you wrote about your abilities, those came out awesome!
Kchaystack, Wow those bars are fun to look at - they are so vibrant and the blue is practically electric against the other colors! They remind me of my misspent youth (ahem).
Mx6inpenn, Your palette is like spring in a bottle, and your swirls are so wispy and delicate - very ladylike!

I need the password so I can vote. Or not.
I really enjoy the challenges so I'm only mentioning this so the vote count comes out for Saponista. I really love to see what everyone does with these. Helps to keep me inspired.

I sent you a PM. I think it is probably in the middle of the night for saponista.

Well, I really really meant to make soap this month, especially EARLY this month, so maybe I could give it out for Christmas, but alas, time got away, as it has a habit of doing. I feel kind of bad voting when I didn't enter, but I did anyway. Good job everyone!!

Snappy, another friend of mine also said those bars are very "mermaid"-y lol! I think we're onto something here.

Guys I think this was the hardest one I've voted in thus far! Dibbles I am soooo jealous of your butterfly! Teach me your ways!

Snappy, another friend of mine also said those bars are very "mermaid"-y lol! I think we're onto something here.

Guys I think this was the hardest one I've voted in thus far! Dibbles I am soooo jealous of your butterfly! Teach me your ways!

Thank you so much, it's very kind of you to say. I can't say exactly how to do it. The first time I tried a circling taiwan swirl I accidentally smudged the top. I meant to try to fix the top with a skewer, but in my frustration mistakenly shoved the skewer to the bottom of the mold and swirled it in a largish loop on one end. I ended up loving that side of the soap more than the 'correct' lotus side. I tried to recreate it somewhat successfully running the skewer along the length of the mold. This time I ran the skewer in a kind of long "S" down the length of the mold and then in reverse the opposite way. And since I was pretty sure this batch was not working out I randomly skewered it some more. I would like to figure out how to do it consistently. Sometimes the soap fairies are just with you. Sometimes it's the gremlins.

I'm sorry Steve, I definitely typed a message to you, but the server was so slow when I was doing it, it must have timed out or something during the sending process! If you still don't have the password then let me know :)

I haven't been active for awhile. I just logged on and looked at the entries. Wow! Ya'll made some beautiful soaps. Thanks fir the motivation to get soaping again!

I love the way you spend time writig lovely comments about all the entries snappy. :) Thank you

I also appreciate snappy's soap reviews. Especially when she says nice things about my ITP blob-swirl-gone-wrong and saying it looks like some fabulous new twist on a tiger stripe! Great entries everyone . . . voting was tough as usual!

Voted with no troubles.

Thank you, Saponista, for hosting this challenge. I'm glad I participated because the challenge gave me the incentive to learn more about using a color wheel. I will definitely be using it more in the future -- with its help, I can figure out color combinations that really work, rather than imitate other people's colors or make desperate guesses.

Again, thank you!!! I'm grateful.

Thank you so much to everyone for participating. The quality of all the entries this month was absolutely fantastic.

Now I have the honour of announcing the winners. You all had trouble picking this time evidently as there is a tie for second place between three entrants!! I'm really glad I didn't have a vote as it would have been impossible to choose.

So without further ado I will announce the winners

In first place we have Snappyllama

In second place we have three of you tied. I don't think that's ever happened before! Congratulations to Dibbles, Doriettefarm and DeeAnna!

And that means we have Newbie in third place.

There were only a couple of votes between you all.

Well done to everyone who entered, you all showed some fantastic soaping skills!

I'm looking forward to having some more time in the new year to be a bit more active and participate in some challenges again. I really do love creative soaping. :))

Latest posts

Back