SMF July 2023 Challenge: More Fun with Color: Pick a Side!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Moon & Mountains soap I originally posted for the challenge wasn’t a qualified entry because I misunderstood the difference between colors and hues posted in the rules. 😜 Nevertheless, I learned so much about blending shades, tones and tints and the color effects with Klein Blue that I’m happy with the learning experience that grew out of my confusion! ☺️

My inspiration was our annual camping event with many friends in Newport, Pennsylvania for the Mountain Laurel Autoharp Gathering. 5+ days of music and song from morning until late at night! Each year I would be so excited I couldn’t sleep, so I walked in the moonlight down the mountain to the reservoir, where I would see fireflies dancing near the pines and hear the green frogs and bullfrogs serenading one another across the water. Constellations and the Milky Way sparkled overhead.
IMG_5112.jpeg

The Mountains & Moonlight soap was created as a study in shades and tones. The color is Klein Blue mica. Mountains are shaded with Navy Blue mica (my black in blending), which was also used for the mica line accents. The night sky incorporated titanium dioxide and a touch of NB mica with a generous teaspoon of Silver Ecoglitter to simulate stars. For a guide, I found artwork on the Internet, cropped it, and added pencil lines. The fragrance is a blend of lemongrass, litsea, cedarwood and patchouli.
img_5090-jpeg.73849

After making this soap, I looked up at the window I made 45 years ago of my DH, an adaptation from a stained glass pattern and background mountains traced from a picture of his field area that summer near Stanley, Idaho. Suddenly the connection to making mountain soap hit me. Look at those mica lines! 🤣🤣🤣
IMG_5131.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5090.jpeg
    IMG_5090.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 189
@ScentimentallyYours Your Mountains & Moonlight soap is fantastic and so is that piece of stained glass. You obviously have many talents!

I know the color theory terminology can be a little confusing, but the more we use it, the more sense it will make. At least, I hope that's true. The word "color" is commonly used to describe every hue, tint, tone or shade out there. The term "hue" is more precise and refers to the dominant color families - yellow, orange, red, violet, blue or green (primary and secondary colors). For this challenge, I extended the hues to include the tertiary colors and beyond. It's been really interesting to research the use of color in soap. As I noted above, the use of three unique color hues in a warm or cool palette is much less common than using two hues, or two hues with a third "color" that is a tint, tone or shade of one of them. I've also decided that Shayna of MilkMade Soaps is the queen of using complimentary color hues, especially in the red and green families. She often tints or shades one or both of the colors, which is what keeps the palette from looking like Christmas.

And, finally a reminder that the entry thread will close today at 11:59 PM GMT.

Last edited:
The Moon & Mountains soap I originally posted for the challenge wasn’t a qualified entry because I misunderstood the difference between colors and hues posted in the rules. 😜 Nevertheless, I learned so much about blending shades, tones and tints and the color effects with Klein Blue that I’m happy with the learning experience that grew out of my confusion! ☺️

I just wanted to tell you that I 1. think this original soap is GORGEOUS and the mica lines really make it pop ⛰️ and 2. I really admire you putting in the effort to make a new soap without being discouraged or throwing in the towel, especially this late in the game. Like, that is so cool 👊

Your new soap looks so much like stained glass with the texture in the layers 😍

@ScentimentallyYours Your Mountains & Moonlight soap is fantastic and so is that piece of stained glass. You obviously have many talents!

I know the color theory terminology can be a little confusing, but the more we use it, the more sense it will make. At least, I hope that's true. The word "color" is commonly used to describe every hue, tint, tone or shade out there. The term "hue" is more precise and refers to the dominant color families - yellow, orange, red, violet, blue or green (primary and secondary colors). For this challenge, I extended the hues to include the tertiary colors and beyond. It's been really interesting to research the use of color in soap. As I noted above, the use of three unique color hues in a warm or cool palette is much less common than using two hues, or two hues with a third "color" that is a tint, tone or shade of one of them. I've also decided that Shayna of MilkMade Soaps is the queen of using complimentary color hues, especially in the red and green families. She often tints or shades one or both of the colors, which is what keeps the palette from looking like Christmas.

And, finally a reminder that the entry thread will close today at 11:59 GMT.
Was that am or pm GMT?

Here’s my Challenge soap. I made this weeks ago, but unfortunately the date got away from me. I obviously used the warm palette. All Mad Micas: Summer Bronze, Snow White and Lemon Cupcake. It’s fragranced with Santal Blush from Scent Memory. The technique is called a Swing Swirl.

Attachments

• IMG_2491_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2491_Original.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I always like to see everybody's challenge attempts that didn't make the cut...I had wayyyyy too many this round! At first I wanted to use this new mica I had - desert rose mica from BB and a gold sparkling mica. After two attempts I gave up on that combination. One with cappuccino mist and the other with violet. What went into the mold morphed into something I didn't really care for, especially the first one. Oh well, lessons learned. I went in search of new inspiration and changed directions.

Soap 1 (cappuccino mist, desert rose, gold sparkle) will be cut up for reuse. Soaps 2 and 3 will find homes. Obviously, photos show soaps in their "fresh from the mold" state - no cleaned up edges, visible crack, etc. :)

Anybody else have any misfires this round?

Thank you @Mobjack Bay for stretching my soap knowledge and skills. :)
c.jpeg
b.jpeg
a.jpeg

Wowser I can't believe I won second place Thank you so much everybody it's my first time to win feeling so excited and tickled pink. I love doing the challenge's so I can learn new techniques! I'd like to say congrats to @ScentimentallyYours and @McKherring Farm . Also I must say I feel every one is a winner it was so hard to choose I love everybody's soaps so much they're all amazing! Again Thank you everybody for choosing my soap! ( I hope some people try my method for making 🔥 fire soap with the drywall ✏️ pencil it was fun and easy ).

Latest posts

Back