SMF November 2016 Soap Challenge - Creative Colour Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.TeresaT - I am ALL about the color!!!
2. KCHaystack - RAINBOWS!!!! Probably not but still
3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!
4. dibbles - Going to check out the FOs for a little inspiration
5. BattleGnome - I had a plan for Christmas presents..I may change it now
6. crispysoap - so many colours, so little time
7. Guspuppy - color me in! (sorry for the excessively bad pun)
8. Earlene -So cool! I've been wanting an interactive color wheel challenge!
9. Misschief - time to buy more colorants!
10. Mx6inpenn - have to pick which color to start with.....
11. Penelope Jane - colour, colour everywhere
12. snappyllama - Yay, I will actually be able to get in a challenge now that life has settled down!

3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!
12. snappyllama - Yay, I will actually be able to get in a challenge now that life has settled down!
13. BlackDog - super creative, Saponista! Looking forward to it!

Can't join the challenge as I am new here but been following your challenges for last two months and drooling at all the attempts.

I am going to add comments to many posts so that I can be eligible for challenges soon. All the best!

I have many four letter words to say about my first attempt. It's in the oven now and I will understand but be severely disappointed if it doesn't turn out.

We collected Lake Superior water this morning so I could attempt the Irish Spring dupe I'm planning for the brother in law (I'm going to call it Michigan Fall). As I was looking at colors I found the perfect scheme for what I was planning for my mom's Christmas present. I figured I could still use the water and clear the Brita filter for house water again (we collected near the oar dock and I wanted to be sure we didnt get too many nasties in it). I set up my colorants and was very happy to see that I think I had exact colorants (or close enough). I dumped my NaOH into the water, tossed the measuring cup, checked my oils, did not stir the lye and wondered why it wasnt heating fast. Measured my sodium lactate and the water heated to where I usually soap but I was confused because it was acting strange, panicked because when I went to mix the bottom of the cup was bumpy, started to combine everything, then realized that all my NaOH had clumped to the bottom of the cup and was stuck there. I had to tear apart the cup to get the chunk of lye out of it. I added extra water to dissolve my lye and ended up with three extra bars of soap when it was all said and done. But I also added too much titanium dioxide and now two of my colors are muted. I just want soap that soaps.

Plus side to all this. My top turned out perfect but I dont know about the rest. I also didnt use up my FO in case I need to make a second batch for my mom.

I'm going to go drink more and try to stop saying things on the internet for a while. (and yes, I am probably projecting onto my soap again. It's a bad habit that I need to break)

Two attempts made last night. One I know is a fail, crossing fingers on the second because I doubt I will be able to try again this month. The fail was a new thing times 2 so I didn't have high expectations anyway. I made a borax soap for my brothers. I thought I would enhance it with beer, since they all love it. It all turned out fine, except the beer didn't discolor as I expected, so it doesn't match the color scheme I tried for.

I'm finally getting my soap on this morning. I picked my color scheme (the first day, actually). But I haven't had a chance to play with any of it yet. I'm going to try to print the palette now and play with the micas. We'll see how it turns out. I've got to account for the yellowish tinge to the batter when working on the colors...

Thanks for the nudge, KC. I got around to reading this thread only this morning, and am playing around with Saponista's color wheel and getting ideas. Problem is I'm not sure I have a wide enough palette of colors to really nail it properly.

Mmmmm... <...rummaging around in my soaping cupboard...>

Come on DeeAnna and Susie, we all know you want to join us

14. DeeAnna -- This might turn into a wheel of torture, not a wheel of color, but I'm in....

Thanks for the nudge, KC. I got around to reading this thread only this morning, and am playing around with Saponista's color wheel and getting ideas. Problem is I'm not sure I have a wide enough palette of colors to really nail it properly.

Mmmmm... <...rummaging around in my soaping cupboard...>

If you have red, blue, yellow, white and black - you have all you need! :D

14. DeeAnna -- This might turn into a wheel of torture, not a wheel of color, but I'm in....
15. Queennikki-- this is my first challenge super excited!

15. Queennikki-- this is my first challenge super excited!
16. Steve85569 - What could go wrong?....

Are we allowed to use black and/or white as part of the color scheme, even if they aren't officially in the wheel schematic we choose? By that I mean using black and/or white with the colors in the triads or with complimentary colors or monochromes, etc...

Are we allowed to use black and/or white as part of the color scheme, even if they aren't officially in the wheel schematic we choose? By that I mean using black and/or white with the colors in the triads or with complimentary colors or monochromes, etc...

I would think so, since black was used in the demo. If the try I did today doesn't work out, and I'm thinking there's a better than good chance it won't, I would like to know for sure too.

Now I'm wondering if what I did was within the guidelines. I picked one color, then clicked on 'add a color' in the top selection, and then used a analogous scheme. And I played with the hues on the generated colors too. I also used a discoloring FO that I am hoping will brown my colors a bit. Who knows what I'll find when I cut into that baby.

Yes you are newbie. I did for mine. You are free to freestyle your scheme to make it exactly the way you want it.

Dibbles what you did is find too - I just want to get people playing with the wheel and experimenting with what looks good together.

I saw kc had been live soapmaking last night but it was later this time so I was sleeping. I was sad I missed it. So glad you decided to join us DeeAnna. I'm sure you will be able to find some colours to work with - with even just one you could go monochromatic :)

Back