SMF November 2016 Soap Challenge - Creative Colour Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.TeresaT - I am ALL about the color!!!
2. KCHaystack - RAINBOWS!!!! Probably not but still
3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!
4. dibbles - Going to check out the FOs for a little inspiration
5. BattleGnome - I had a plan for Christmas presents..I may change it now
6. crispysoap - so many colours, so little time
7. Guspuppy - color me in! (sorry for the excessively bad pun)
8. Earlene -So cool! I've been wanting an interactive color wheel challenge!
9. Misschief - time to buy more colorants!
10. Mx6inpenn - have to pick which color to start with.....
11. Penelope Jane - colour, colour everywhere
12. snappyllama - Yay, I will actually be able to get in a challenge now that life has settled down!
13. BlackDog - super creative, Saponista! Looking forward to it!
14. DeeAnna -- This might turn into a wheel of torture, not a wheel of color, but I'm in....
15. Queennikki-- this is my first challenge super excited!
16. Steve85569 - What could go wrong?....
17. Newbie-I find color choice hard so hoping the wheel will take me places.

My try from this weekend took 2 days to get out of the mold, and was still too soft to cut. I have been letting the loaf just sit and I will cut it tonight.

I've made one try, and will do another. I've been playing around a lot with the color wheel, and I'm actually figuring out why I gravitate to the color combinations I usually choose - I seem to usually be an analogous or monochromatic kind of girl.

Everyone is very quiet. How are you all getting on? Any difficulties, questions? Tell us about your progress :)
I am color wheel challenged. I can't seem to get the hang of using an online color wheel.

Well, I watched your video again and realized what was my problem. So now I am less challenged. I'm not liking the results I am getting, all that much. I will give one of them a try and see if it is more pleasing thru dimensionally.

I'm guessing I'll have to photograph my screen to have a record of the color palette chosen for the specific soap.

Last edited:
3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!
12. snappyllama - Yay, I will actually be able to get in a challenge now that life has settled down!
14. DeeAnna -- This might turn into a wheel of torture, not a wheel of color, but I'm in....
18. Dixiedragon - *sings* My coat of many colors....

Okay, I chose my color palette, recipe and mold. I'm leaving this fragrance free because I just don't want to deal with the potential problems, especially since I'm traveling and probably won't have more than one more chance to do this before the closing date. I do want to use up the oils I have with me, but I'm just not sure it's going to work out to make another batch.

The lye solution is cooling on the balcony. The hard oils are melting and the micas are mixed in a bit of the soft oils from the recipe. I may just wait to mix it all in the morning as it's getting late here. But I think I finally have the hang of working with the online color wheel. So that's progress. I've been wanting to do that ever since watching Clyde videos and even more since talking with Clyde at SoapCon, so I am so glad you gave us this challenge, Saponista.

18. Dixiedragon - *sings* My coat of many colors....
19. nsmar4211 -One I can do in HP! Wheeeee!!! Ok, where are my micas....

I ended up using 3 molds as I had enough batter left over to fill a small butter tub. Because all I had was the sun (not quite hot enough) and a microwave oven at my disposal, I had to improvise to ensure full gel. First I sat them on the balcony in the sun, well insulated in towels. But I was pretty sure the small butter dish size one would not gel. So I did something I've done only once before.

I CPOP'd in the microwave oven, using the defrost setting. What's cool about that is that with many microwaves, I can change the defrost setting to different power levels, giving more or less heat. It worked really well. I decided to go ahead and do this with all 3 molds just to speed up the gelling process and to ensure I got full gel.

The recipe I used hardens really fast and requires an early cut, so I have already cut them and I'm really happy with how they turned out. I used the same color scheme for all, but a different swirling technique for each of the three. The small one was a spoon swirl with a little tiny spoon, my least favorite of the three. My second favorite is the hanger swirl from the second loaf. But my very favorite is a variant on a funnel pour I've been wanting to try since I bought this new folding silicone funnel in the canning section not long ago. I am really pleased with how the cut soaps look from this pour. I cut them like a slab mold even though it wasn't really a slab; it was a shoe box.

I got some photos, but my camera is now recharging, so I'll have to wait to get the rest until later. They still need trimming anyway, so it's just as well.

The cut bars are on a rack under the ceiling fan cooling off. They are actually still warm. I may do some of the trimming tonight or I may just wait on that until I get to my next location.

I'm glad everyone is industriously beavering away on their soaps! I really hate choosing colours, I find it so hard, but the colour wheel really seems to help.

I think my first try with the discoloring FO is going to end up a bust. So... I tried again today. I did a circling taiwan swirl, which wasn't looking right. I can't blame anything other than operator error. So I skewered the life out of it. Not too optimistic about this one. Plotting another try, which I hope works out - I only have time for one more.

ETA: Well, once cut the soap actually turned out to be something I like. I'll probably try again for fun, but at least I have an entry if I don't have time.

Last edited:
Posted my entry since I'm really not too sure I'll have the time to do another. If it ends up that I am able to try again and like it better, I will change the entry. So here is the first try that I did with a discoloring FO (BB Rustic Woods and Rum). My burnt orange turned into a pinky flesh color. And I didn't predict the color change too well so my color wheel was off. But I am getting closer to getting that outlined skinny shimmy that has so eluded every try. ETA: sideways again!

Color Challenge_0050.jpg

Latest posts

Back