Zum bar Sea Salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapsmurf

Reaction score
I'm not trying to recreate the retail Zum bar recipe. I'm interested, though, in the smell of their Sea Salt bar. They describe it as citrus, but it's not orange, or lemon... maybe lemongrass and something else? Can anyone help? Here's their link:
http://www.indigowild.com/shopping/productdetail.cfm?ID=1134]Sea Salt[/url]
ETA: Oh, and I of course don't expect you to have smell through your monitor, but if you've smelled it before, I'd like your opinion. TIA

Where did you see the bar? If it was at Whole Foods, then just go to their essential oils and smell the lemongrass. It says they use pure essential oils and knowing that (if true) would mean perhaps it was lemongrass or a combination of a couple diff. oils.

jarvan said:
Where did you see the bar? If it was at Whole Foods, then just go to their essential oils and smell the lemongrass. It says they use pure essential oils and knowing that (if true) would mean perhaps it was lemongrass or a combination of a couple diff. oils.
'Cept it doesn't quite smell like just lemongrass, so I was wondering whether someone else had a better clue.

I don't think it's lemongrass, but no I have no idea what it is. That's one of my favorite Zum bars. (who am I kidding, I love almost all the Zum bars, I don't buy them anymore but stand in the health food store and just sniff everything.)

I would say to just mix EO's till you find a similar combo, but I also don't understand, if it is real citrus eo's (which is what they claim), how they get the scent to stay? They have a grapefruit scented bar and several with citrus.. HOW do they get the citrus scents to stick?

tasha said:
I don't think it's lemongrass, but no I have no idea what it is. That's one of my favorite Zum bars. (who am I kidding, I love almost all the Zum bars, I don't buy them anymore but stand in the health food store and just sniff everything.)

I would say to just mix EO's till you find a similar combo, but I also don't understand, if it is real citrus eo's (which is what they claim), how they get the scent to stay? They have a grapefruit scented bar and several with citrus.. HOW do they get the citrus scents to stick?
Thanks for replying! :)
I'm with you because I can't figure out what it is, either. I mentioned lemongrass because it tends to stick better. Grapefruit also supposedly sticks better in soap. Maybe bergamot? But none seems to smell like their sea salt bar. :?
The other thing is that they only mention citrus in this bar, but I distinctly detect some kind of faint floral note.
:?:

I hate you Zum -_- tricksters

I made a grapefruit bar with .5 oz ppo, no scent left whatsoever. Maybe I didn't use enough.

I think I have to go buy a little Zum soap now.. They have a "cut your own" station and I may go cut a little sliver of everything to bring home to sniff and analyze!

tasha said:

I made a grapefruit bar with .5 oz ppo, no scent left whatsoever. Maybe I didn't use enough.

I think I have to go buy a little Zum soap now.. They have a "cut your own" station and I may go cut a little sliver of everything to bring home to sniff and analyze!
The cutting station is cheaper, but still $19.99/# where I am, so definitely not cheap. Good thing I don't like the majority of their scents. :p If only I could figure out that sea salt.

jarvan said:
Do you suppose they anchored it with Litsea and a tad of patchouli?
Don't know. They only call it citrus- whatever that means. :roll:

it's 18.99 at mine.

I lied. There's definitely either lemongrass/litsea in there at least. not sure which one and not sure what else is in there. got myself quite a few little slivers to sniff here!

tasha said:
it's 18.99 at mine.

I lied. There's definitely either lemongrass/litsea in there at least. not sure which one and not sure what else is in there. got myself quite a few little slivers to sniff here!
So you caved? :p Yeah, I think there's a lemongrass note. I still don't know what the other stuff is. I definitely smell something flowery. :?:

soapsmurf said:
tasha said:

The cutting station is cheaper, but still $19.99/# where I am, so definitely not cheap. Good thing I don't like the majority of their scents. :p If only I could figure out that sea salt.
that's only $5 for a 4 oz bar, which is less than I charge retail.

carebear said:
soapsmurf said:
tasha said:

that's only $5 for a 4 oz bar, which is less than I charge retail.
Yes, but their actual retail bars are 3 oz (which I find a bit small) for $5.50 where I am. I think that's a bit high, so I've been known to cut myself ~4.8oz for $6 bar of soap- that, I'm more ok with. :p

i havent smelled it but thought of another citrus it might be... persimmon maybe?

side note- i made a citrus soap that i just took every citrus EO, i had just little leftovers from other things so total my oils were about an oz. i had and weighed them all out and made the most wonderful citrus soap that so far hasnt lost it's scent at all. i made it 3 weeks ago too.

soapsmurf said:
Just bumping this to say that I think they anchor in patch.

I remember this discussion!

I don't know what exactly it is but all of their soaps seem to have one note that is the same... all of the scents seem to tie back to this one scent. I think it might be patchouli. Not sure but I like their scent "theme" thing.

Neroli - My girlfriend recently bought a Zum Sea Salt bar, I smelled it, and asked what it was, she said Neroli, got out a bottle of Neroli essential oil, and it is an exact match. Neroli is citris.

Neroli - My girlfriend recently bought a Zum Sea Salt bar, I smelled it, and asked what it was, she said Neroli, got out a bottle of Neroli essential oil, and it is an exact match. Neroli is citris.

Not to play mod or anything but this is a 6 yr old thread and most of these posters are still lost in the soapy new world.

Why can't we post on an old thread? The info I gave may help others in their quest for this knowledge.

Latest posts

Back