Sea Salt Soap Luv

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for sharing. What did you use for the swirls? How did you manage to get the swirls in?

I use 45/40 CO/PKO with 10% Castor 5% Liquid Oil with 100% fine sea salt /plain table salt mix, adding in some oatmeal because the hubby likes the extra exfoliant properties.

Cmzaha,
Is your water hard or soft? With that much salt to 40% CO, how did your soap lather?

I get sea salt much cheaper than plain table salt and would rather use it if the lather can be decent with that PKO - CO combination. Are table and sea salt significantly different in effect re lather?

Do the oats minimize the potentially drying effect of the salt?

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

On a different, more fragrant note;
Are salt bars better with certain fragrances? Is mint favorable? ... What about cinnamon and or allspice?

I use 45/40 CO/PKO with 10% Castor 5% Liquid Oil with 100% fine sea salt /plain table salt mix, adding in some oatmeal because the hubby likes the extra exfoliant properties.

Cmzaha, Would you mind saying how your soap lathers please? I am trying to figure how I might formulate my soap also using PKO along with coconut oil. How much of the salt is dissolved into a brine?

I was wondering whether you could get away with using less coconut oil if the soap is crystalline (because the salt is not as well dissolved).

Hello everyone.

I never even knew about sea salt soaps until after I got into soap making. I didn’t know why, but I was intrigued and my spider senses was tingling to make some and try it out for myself. Let me tell you I am so pleasantly surprised.

For my first batch, I was worried because I used a more course sea salt I got from my travel to Hawaii. It was what I had on hand at the time and natural so I went for it. Since it was larger grains I was worried I couldn’t use it or that it would be too harsh for the face. However I have used it on my face and it was beautiful. My skin felt so soft and exfoliated afterwards. Even better was my husband’s experience. He has thick course facial hair and suffers from ingrown hairs on his neck and beard. To make matters worse he picks at it and there is so much inflammation in his face. However the rich creamy foamy lather of these salt bars was amazing as a shaving soap. Plus it exfoliates the skin (treatment for ingrown hair). The salt helped decrease the inflammation as well. He much prefers shaving with these salt soaps then all the expensive shaving cream products we’ve collected over the years. I have never seen his skin so soft, clear and smooth like this ever before! Since then I made 2 other batches of soap. I hope you enjoy the visuals!

First batch is blue mica with eucalyptus EO. Course Hawaiian sea salt. ~80% salt. ~80 CO. ~17% super fat. Following batches has similar ratios.

Second batch I used a fine sea salt, lemongrass EO and added algae to supplement the green mica since the color faded in the first batch due to the high salt content. And omg with the algae added and the smoother appearance of the bar it looks like Jade rock. I just like to stare at them during my free time.

Third batch was made from the mold of Milano cookies we got on sale. I saved the molds and I think it made a perfect size soap! Added in charcoal swirls. I used High Tide fragrance oil from candlescience and it smells amazing!
What kind of algae did you use for the green?

Back