Sea Salt Soap Luv

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinata

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I never even knew about sea salt soaps until after I got into soap making. I didn’t know why, but I was intrigued and my spider senses was tingling to make some and try it out for myself. Let me tell you I am so pleasantly surprised.

For my first batch, I was worried because I used a more course sea salt I got from my travel to Hawaii. It was what I had on hand at the time and natural so I went for it. Since it was larger grains I was worried I couldn’t use it or that it would be too harsh for the face. However I have used it on my face and it was beautiful. My skin felt so soft and exfoliated afterwards. Even better was my husband’s experience. He has thick course facial hair and suffers from ingrown hairs on his neck and beard. To make matters worse he picks at it and there is so much inflammation in his face. However the rich creamy foamy lather of these salt bars was amazing as a shaving soap. Plus it exfoliates the skin (treatment for ingrown hair). The salt helped decrease the inflammation as well. He much prefers shaving with these salt soaps then all the expensive shaving cream products we’ve collected over the years. I have never seen his skin so soft, clear and smooth like this ever before! Since then I made 2 other batches of soap. I hope you enjoy the visuals!

First batch is blue mica with eucalyptus EO. Course Hawaiian sea salt. ~80% salt. ~80 CO. ~17% super fat. Following batches has similar ratios.

Second batch I used a fine sea salt, lemongrass EO and added algae to supplement the green mica since the color faded in the first batch due to the high salt content. And omg with the algae added and the smoother appearance of the bar it looks like Jade rock. I just like to stare at them during my free time.

Third batch was made from the mold of Milano cookies we got on sale. I saved the molds and I think it made a perfect size soap! Added in charcoal swirls. I used High Tide fragrance oil from candlescience and it smells amazing!

Attachments

• 97D20CE1-016F-4025-82D8-FB4E5C3FE4EE.jpeg
    97D20CE1-016F-4025-82D8-FB4E5C3FE4EE.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 71
  • D9FD077E-4BBE-46D9-BB0B-C16468DDB8D4.jpeg
    D9FD077E-4BBE-46D9-BB0B-C16468DDB8D4.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 73
  • E02B690F-2D16-4BD0-89A6-EE6037E26CB4.jpeg
    E02B690F-2D16-4BD0-89A6-EE6037E26CB4.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 9868A729-ED8F-49CE-9229-8AB2650E188A.jpeg
    9868A729-ED8F-49CE-9229-8AB2650E188A.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 70
  • FC465230-732A-49C2-805E-925B00DA2F5C.jpeg
    FC465230-732A-49C2-805E-925B00DA2F5C.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
While you may like the exfoliation from the coarse salt take it from someone that has made salt bars for 10+ years when they were fairly new to the market and also made most mistakes. At that time they were trial and error. Lots of errors before getting it right. :eek: You can get some severe lacerations from coarse salt in salt bars and it is not worth the risk. What many do not know is the fact that not only is salt a water softener it is also a natural exfoliant, but if you want extra safe exfoliant with your salt bars use fine poppy seeds, fine pumice, oatmeal etc. In other words, something that is not a sharp-edged crystal. Your skin and your husband's face will thank you. Salt is a crystal that is sharp and never never grind salt to make it finer it sharpens the edges.

They all look lovely. I do agree that using coarse sea salt is not the best course of action. I'd also suggest not using pink himalyan salt as, even at its finest grain, it is horribly abrasive against skin.

Thank you so much for your tips. I was weary about the course salt since my first batch which is why I don’t give it as gifts. And I plan on using only the fine salt which gives me everything I need so I don’t need to add extra exfoliant. I loved my first recipe so much with 80% CO and 80% salt that I haven’t deviated from it in subsequent batches.

Has anyone made the same oil concentration but lowered the salt concentration in their recipe and what affect did it have on the bar? Is the lather more of the normal bubbly lather at for example a salt concentration is 30%?

I make salt bars with 80% coconut and use 35% salt. I started out using 100%, then 50% before settling on 35%.
It still makes that thick lather and for my hard water, lathers quicker and faster than higher salt amounts.

Make a couple small batches with different salt amounts and see which you like best.

Not sure how long you are curing these but they get better with age. 6 months is minimum for me, 1 years is even better. Nothing like finding a bar that is 2+ years old, amazing leather.

I took some bars from each of my batches and hid them away in a closet to “discover” them 2 years from now. It’ll be such a treat! My first 2 batches are now 2 months old. I know it gets better with age so I’m so excited to see how it transforms!

At 30-50% salt, the lather forms quicker but is there *more* lather at 50% salt vs 80%? Or there isn’t A significant difference? Thanks in advance.

Anyone wanna share pics of their salt soaps? I made 2 new batches and will post pics when I get home tomorrow!

Hello everyone.

I never even knew about sea salt soaps until after I got into soap making. I didn’t know why, but I was intrigued and my spider senses was tingling to make some and try it out for myself. Let me tell you I am so pleasantly surprised.

For my first batch, I was worried because I used a more course sea salt I got from my travel to Hawaii. It was what I had on hand at the time and natural so I went for it. Since it was larger grains I was worried I couldn’t use it or that it would be too harsh for the face. However I have used it on my face and it was beautiful. My skin felt so soft and exfoliated afterwards. Even better was my husband’s experience. He has thick course facial hair and suffers from ingrown hairs on his neck and beard. To make matters worse he picks at it and there is so much inflammation in his face. However the rich creamy foamy lather of these salt bars was amazing as a shaving soap. Plus it exfoliates the skin (treatment for ingrown hair). The salt helped decrease the inflammation as well. He much prefers shaving with these salt soaps then all the expensive shaving cream products we’ve collected over the years. I have never seen his skin so soft, clear and smooth like this ever before! Since then I made 2 other batches of soap. I hope you enjoy the visuals!

First batch is blue mica with eucalyptus EO. Course Hawaiian sea salt. ~80% salt. ~80 CO. ~17% super fat. Following batches has similar ratios.

Second batch I used a fine sea salt, lemongrass EO and added algae to supplement the green mica since the color faded in the first batch due to the high salt content. And omg with the algae added and the smoother appearance of the bar it looks like Jade rock. I just like to stare at them during my free time.

Third batch was made from the mold of Milano cookies we got on sale. I saved the molds and I think it made a perfect size soap! Added in charcoal swirls. I used High Tide fragrance oil from candlescience and it smells amazing!

They are all so pretty. I love the cookie mold one. Since soaping I never look at anything the same. Everything is a potential mold. Lol.

They are all so pretty. I love the cookie mold one. Since soaping I never look at anything the same. Everything is a potential mold. Lol.
Lmao I just read your post to my husband and he chuckled. He has to deal with my soapmaking obsession.
The cookie mold worked well for the salt soaps since they get rock hard. But when I used it for a different batch they made the soaps very aesthetically unpleasing. Like it was sticky and hard to take out even after being in the mold for 3 days (I never wait that long) So that soap I only will use for myself and family.

These are some of mine. Scented with coconut lime (I think).View attachment 45402
Very beautiful colors! What percentage salt did you use?

There is great beauty in the simple white. I will try the white on my next batch but in a flower mold. Salt bars naturally white outs colors anyways so it’s like working with nature instead of against it lol

Back