SMF JANUARY 2024 CHALLENGE – Mini Drop [Mini Drip] Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got this @VikingChick!! I'm with you on the 'none which look good' part! Maybe the veteran soapers here can offer advice if you describe the situation to them. I know that I'm still learning everything about this technique on a lot of levels. The YT video's of the pro's make it looks so straight forward, but there is quite a bit more to it I see now!!! Don't give up, you got this!!! 🙂👍

Debating whether I'm going to enter anything. I've made three attempts, none of which look good. I do have the time to try once more before the deadline, but honestly I'm feeling pretty discouraged. I might just sit back and look at all of the rest of y'all's pretty creations! :)
If you aren’t trying to make individual drops, what works for me is using a squeeze bottle with a good amount of pressure and moving it up and down the length of the mold fairly quickly. Don’t think too much about it. I think we are so used to being slow and deliberate, and this technique allows for some freedom from that. The lines from the newly squeezed soap will drop into the previous lines. You do need thin trace and don’t worry about a mess if you overshoot the ends or edges of the mold. Sometimes it’s fun to be a little messy. I hope you find the heart to try again, because the results are such a pretty design. I get it if you have had enough, though.

Sign-up List for SMF January 2024 Challenge: Mini Drop {Mini Drip} Swirl. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next person:

1. AliOop - Great way to "drop" into 2024! ;)
2. katili - Why not dive into something I've never done?
3. MichaelP - I agree with katili, I want to try something new and help develop my soap making skills. Looking forward to this!
4. Mrs.Z - this looks fun!
5. McKherring Farm
6. VikingChick - This should be fun!
7. VickiC
8. Blue - Fun project for next weekend!
9. dmcgee5034 - honey, I dripped the soap! 😂
10. Tammyfarms - I made mine today. I didn’t want to enter until I knew I would be able to make soap. It’s in the mold. 🤞🏻
11. Janesathome - Oooh, I’ve been needing a focus for a soap. My biggest challenge will be getting out to pick up squeeze bottles: minus 49 with wind chill tomorrow and my car does NOT like those temps! Hoping for some moderation in weather soon.
12. Relle - I'll try it, need to take mind of things.
13. ScentimentallyYours - making soap today and noticed there’s still time to sign up, so I’m in!

Hi All, I need some hints. My second batch kind of worked. What I need help with is in what technique to use to get the tear shape. Mine look like balls rather than drops. Does the batter need to be thinner? I thought it was pretty thin but maybe not enough? Some of the balls look like they have a whisp coming off the top, like it was trying to form a tear but didnt'. Thanks All, and happy soaping!

Yes, from the rules: “All eligible registrants who have signed up before the Entry thread closes will be eligible to vote, even if they do not submit an entry.”

I was typing as the last post came in - Yes, If anyone hasn’t made their soap yet, or is making another try at it, my best advice is to keep the base fluid/ as fluid as the batter you use for the drops.

added: if you know your recipe, and you know that it typically comes to trace fairly quickly, stop early and hand stir until the emulsion is not splitting and the consistency is like cream.

Hi All, I need some hints. My second batch kind of worked. What I need help with is in what technique to use to get the tear shape. Mine look like balls rather than drops. Does the batter need to be thinner? I thought it was pretty thin but maybe not enough? Some of the balls look like they have a whisp coming off the top, like it was trying to form a tear but didnt'. Thanks All, and happy soaping!
Oh this has been my nemesis on soooo many soaps. Finally got one that I’m pleased with. My batter was very thin - both in the mold and in the bottle. HTH 🌸

I'm feeling a little better so I just finished pouring my oils if all goes well with my health I will sign up on Wednesday just in the nick of time I have to wait till Wednesday morning to make my batch because I will be to busy tomorrow so I hope nothing goes wrong till then! I'm wondering if I should cut my pipette for my squeeze bottles on a slant or should I just snip the end of it straight to get the rain drop look? Oh And I love everybody's soaps so far very nice!

Sign-up List for SMF January 2024 Challenge: Mini Drop {Mini Drip} Swirl. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next person:

3. MichaelP - I agree with katili, I want to try something new and help develop my soap making skills. Looking forward to this!
5. McKherring Farm
7. VickiC
10. Tammyfarms - I made mine today. I didn’t want to enter until I knew I would be able to make soap. It’s in the mold. 🤞🏻
11. Janesathome - Oooh, I’ve been needing a focus for a soap. My biggest challenge will be getting out to pick up squeeze bottles: minus 49 with wind chill tomorrow and my car does NOT like those temps! Hoping for some moderation in weather soon.
13. ScentimentallyYours - making soap today and noticed there’s still time to sign up, so I’m in!
14. Cindy D. I actually had time to make soap!

Well....here's my first attempt. Hopefully, I will "drop" another one later today. I learned many things with this attempt. First...it seemed like I had a LOT of layers of colors at the top, but....clearly I stopped too soon. And yes, I could see it wasn't very deep in the mold but boy, those squeeze bottles of mine....ugh. Speaking of squeeze bottles, that set went in the trash! I got a different type to try tomorrow. Second..."just below the surface" isn't very deep. Really not deep at all. I didn't need to squeeze quite so hard. Lol. Third...trying the nifty, curved syringe that came from the dentist after wisdom tooth removal (never used it) won't work unless the batter is very, very, very thin. I do love the colors and the scent - Bergamot and Lime essential oils. And finally, I know I will be trying this again. and again. :) All the entries are beautiful.

Attachments

• Bergamot Lime GMS.jpg
    Bergamot Lime GMS.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 0

5. McKherring Farm
7. VickiC
14. Cindy D. I actually had time to make soap!
15. CLMP- I got something cooking in the oven lol.🥳

Latest posts

Back