SMF JANUARY 2024 CHALLENGE – Mini Drop [Mini Drip] Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me?? I have spent the last 45 minutes trying to upload my photo to the entry board. I cannot get it to actually show the photo. I've never had that problem before and posted photos just yesterday to this thread. I have resized the image. Tried attaching as a file, copying and pasting, and using the insert image. Nothing will show. It only gives me a link. Also, the page is jumping around as I am trying to work - this page doesn't do that! Help! And yes...I have restarted my computer too!

I didn't have any issues with mine, I take mine off my camera and put them on the pc and then attach that way, they have always loaded.

Ok, as promised, here is my disastrous first attempt. As background, I was using up some infused oils; olive oil infused with paprika, turmeric, annatto, turkey rhubarb, vetch, sweetgrass, hemlock, and borage. I also had some older lard, a tiny bit of tallow, and some soy wax (probably didn’t need to use that up). So, I made up a recipe, calculated the lye, and was off to the races (not). The batter was pleasant enough, the colors were okay, and the technique was doable. I used up some Loving Spell fragrance that had been hanging around. I did not gel this soap.
The soap came out very crumbly and seems lye heavy. I tried a lather test and I thought it would at least be a little bit conditioning - it is not. There could be a million reasons why it failed - I’m not analyzing it - it is being shredded and salted out. Good practice anyway!
IMG_8971.jpegIMG_8974.jpegIMG_8973.jpegIMG_3313.jpegIMG_3312.jpeg

Is it just me?? I have spent the last 45 minutes trying to upload my photo to the entry board. I cannot get it to actually show the photo. I've never had that problem before and posted photos just yesterday to this thread. I have resized the image. Tried attaching as a file, copying and pasting, and using the insert image. Nothing will show. It only gives me a link. Also, the page is jumping around as I am trying to work - this page doesn't do that! Help! And yes...I have restarted my computer too!
Hi @McKherring Farm even though your photo wasn't showing up when I clicked on the spot where the photo should be it took me to the picture of your soap. Maybe you could try posting it again and just tell everyone to click on it. Your soap is really nice!

Hi @McKherring Farm even though your photo wasn't showing up when I clicked on the spot where the photo should be it took me to the picture of your soap. Maybe you could try posting it again and just tell everyone to click on it. Your soap is really nice!
Same here - I had no problem accessing the picture through the link. Please repost!

By any chance is the file size really large? If so, try reducing the size down to something less than 1 MB. If that doesn’t work and you want me to post your entry (photo, text) let me know. You can try sending it to me in a pm, or I will be happy to send you my personal email address.

I had trouble a while back, it wouldn't load pictures from my camera even when I reduced the size smaller than the pictures from my phone. It would take them from my phone.

I had what sounds like a similar issue the other day. I ended up taking a picture of the picture on my iPad screen and that uploaded normally. 🤷🏻‍♀️

OMG - these entries are awesome! I love them all and take my hat off to you, as I don't have the patience or inclination to ever do this and face the clean up afterwards 😆
20240122_195240.jpgWhat clean up?
To tell the truth I was getting bored going back and forth with the squirt bottle near the end and stopped a bit sooner than I should have... but the bear soap wasn't boring that one I over filled 🤣
They are all beautiful, so many pretty colors!

View attachment 76276What clean up?
To tell the truth I was getting bored going back and forth with the squirt bottle near the end and stopped a bit sooner than I should have... but the bear soap wasn't boring that one I over filled 🤣
They are all beautiful, so many pretty colors!
I rest my case your honour!

I hope you will try taking a photo from a phone or tablet and see if that works. I had trouble a while ago, i couldn't get any of the pictures from my computer to load, but they would load from my phone. Maybe the internet service isn't very good at the moment.

I hope you will try taking a photo from a phone or tablet and see if that works. I had trouble a while ago, i couldn't get any of the pictures from my computer to load, but they would load from my phone. Maybe the internet service isn't very good at the moment.
Thank you. I'm not sure what it was but I finally took pictures with my phone as several suggested. They finally loaded. I switched to a different computer and the page is still jumping around. Soooo weird - ONLY that one page! Anyway, thank you.

I had what sounds like a similar issue the other day. I ended up taking a picture of the picture on my iPad screen and that uploaded normally. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I finally took new pictures on my phone and uploaded them on the site through my phone. Sooo weird! Thank you for the suggestion.

By any chance is the file size really large? If so, try reducing the size down to something less than 1 MB. If that doesn’t work and you want me to post your entry (photo, text) let me know. You can try sending it to me in a pm, or I will be happy to send you my personal email address.
Thank you for the offer. I had reduced the size wayyyy down as initially they were over 1MB but they still wouldn't load. The whole page was acting weird....even on a different internet connection and a different computer so I have no clue! But...I finally just took new pics on my phone and loaded on the site on my phone as well. They'll work at this point! It was a fun challenge and I was so surprised at the results on both of my efforts.

I had trouble a while back, it wouldn't load pictures from my camera even when I reduced the size smaller than the pictures from my phone. It would take them from my phone.
That's exactly what I tried too. Oh well, I finally got them up on my phone. Thank you for responding!

Ok, as promised, here is my disastrous first attempt. As background, I was using up some infused oils; olive oil infused with paprika, turmeric, annatto, turkey rhubarb, vetch, sweetgrass, hemlock, and borage. I also had some older lard, a tiny bit of tallow, and some soy wax (probably didn’t need to use that up). So, I made up a recipe, calculated the lye, and was off to the races (not). The batter was pleasant enough, the colors were okay, and the technique was doable. I used up some Loving Spell fragrance that had been hanging around. I did not gel this soap.
The soap came out very crumbly and seems lye heavy. I tried a lather test and I thought it would at least be a little bit conditioning - it is not. There could be a million reasons why it failed - I’m not analyzing it - it is being shredded and salted out. Good practice anyway!
View attachment 76257View attachment 76258View attachment 76259View attachment 76260View attachment 76261
That color is amazing, too bad it didn't turn out good!

Latest posts

Back