Tilted Tiger Stripe Challenge Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh Neeners, this is getting exciting! Soon the forum will be flooded with pics of all these wonderful soaps!

Another thing I thought of that makes challenges a great idea is, that we can share tips and tricks about the different techniques we try and learn even more from each other than we already do. :)

My base batter had gotten fairly thick too, by the time I was finished with the striping, but luckily I didn't add any fragrance to the stripe batters, so they remained nice and liquid the whole time so I could get the thin, whispy stripes that I like. By the time the striping was done, I had to spoon the top base into the mould. The fragrance I chose is supposedly a light accelerator, but from the very beginning, my base batter was more custardy, than fluid. Oxides do also tend to thicken the batter more than micas do, IMO. Next time I'm going to pick a non-accelerating FO and use only micas , if for no other reason than to reduce the stress of wondering if I can get it all poured in the mould in time. When trying something new, I'd like to have all the time I can get.

I think I just took too long organizing everything, and over-mixed things. I used cedarwood, rosemary and lavender EOs, which shouldn't accelerate trace..... then the top is not as nice as I would have liked it to be (just plain). ah...hopefully the swirl comes out the way I want.....

I don't know if anyone has replied to your PMs about challenges but there used to be monthly challenges. No one has suggested anything for a long time. I think the last one was the Simon & Garfunkel challenge. Here are some links to previous ones so everyone can see how they kind of worked.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=31695
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=31775
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=32547
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=33569

There are more if you want to search for them.

I made my attempt....but my batter got thick. :( let's hope it looks ok when it's unmolded and cut tmr. aahhh....the wait is always torture!!! :-x

Geez Neeners .. you need to be more careful about posting finished soap comment before you have pics ready to share. There's an angry mob around SMF shouting for pics .. just ask Gent!

I agree with MsMolly. You're walking on thin ice there, Neeners! You'd better post pics real quick if you want to avoid the angry hoards.

@Hazel
Thank you so much for those links. Wow, those challenges were hard! I have NO idea how I would go about making a Simon and Garfunkel soap or a TV Show soap. I totally lack imagination to make themed soap like that. Techniques, yes. Anything even remotely artful. No. :lol:

@Hazel

thanks for the links. so basically it's okay to have monthly challenges, right? alrighty then, we'll carry on :D

I know, I KNOW!!! I was part of the angry mob. it hasn't been cut yet. it's just staring at me at the moment. I'd post an in the mold pic, but it's really boring. I'm cutting it later and will post pics ASAP! (trying not to cut now b/c it's still quite soft....it's just sitting there...taunting me though)

I agree with those old challenges. I was a newbie, but still, they seemed really REALLY hard...... these technique ones I can grasp though.....

the curiosity was killing me, and i feel the need to appease the angry mob, so here are cut pics! it was supposed to be green and white stripes, but the French green clay looks grey, and the base colour was supposed to be more brown but it's orangy.... hopefully colours will turn the way i want during cure. smells devine though (lavender, rosemary and cedarwood).

I'm pleasantly surprised there weren't as many air bubbles as i expected due to the thickness of the batter. but....i feel as though i need to try this technique out at least a few more times, so i can get something that looks like everyone else's pretty tilted tiger swirl.....

DSC_0403.jpg

Wow, it looks great!! It looks like birds! I really like the base colour as it is. Nice neat top you got going on there too. Love that. Loooovely soap!! :D

thanks! I was hoping for some sort of swirl, but the batter got too thick so I just smeared everything and smoothed it out. lol. *ahem* I mean....that was exactly what I was going for.... :think:

Woooowwwww! I love that soap! Looking at the pictures of the soap, the first thing that came to my mind was also BIRDS!!

GREAT TALENT guys! I'm loving this tiger stripes :)

Wow, those challenges were hard! I have NO idea how I would go about making a Simon and Garfunkel soap or a TV Show soap. I totally lack imagination to make themed soap like that. Techniques, yes. Anything even remotely artful. No.

What do you think you’re creating with the technique and color combinations? Looks artistic to me. :lol:

thanks for the links. so basically it's okay to have monthly challenges, right? alrighty then, we'll carry on

I agree with those old challenges. I was a newbie, but still, they seemed really REALLY hard...... these technique ones I can grasp though.....

Once you got involved with one, they weren’t hard; at least, I didn’t think so. The hardest part was just deciding on one idea to make.

Sure, monthly challenges are fine. They’re not like swaps where someone can get your address or take the shipping money and disappear. Challenges only needed one person to suggest something. No one seemed interested anymore so they just stopped.

@ neeners -

The soap looks great! I also thought of birds when I saw them.

@Hazel, thanks for clarifying that :)

@neeners, awesome! i love how this technique can bring so many different effects!

Well to decided to try a tilted tiger stripe and it looked beautiful in the mold at first.. But then it started to crack. It is in the freezer now chilling. We'll see how it turns out. Don't know what caused it to heat and crack, I've used this same recipe many times. Thinking the FO must be the culprit. It was Waterlily and fresh mint.

Oh, your colours look beautiful, sinful7! What a shame with the crack, but it's so small, it might not be all that noticeable at all once the soap is cut.

Neeners and Sinful7, I feel a bit bad about your soaps being way down here on this thread, because they really deserve to be seen by all and unless people have subscribed to this thread, they won't ever see them! You should make new threads for them and let them be showcased properly as they and you and your hard work rightly deserves. Bring them up into the light and let them shine! :clap:

Latest posts

Back