Tilted Tiger Stripe Challenge Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tienne

Reaction score
On Seven's thread with pictures of her absolutely eye-poppingly beautiful Lemongrass tilted tiger stripe soap, I was joshing around and challenged another soaper to try the technique and unwittingly got caught in the glue trap myself. (That'll teach me. LOL) The challenge was to make a tilted tiger stripe soap and post pictures as proof within 30 days, starting 02-22-2014. I'd never made a tilted tiger before, but a deal's a deal, so here it is, :)

The base colour is lime green oxide mixed with a little bit of Sage Green mica to mellow it down a tad and the stripes are Sparkle Pearl mica mixed with a dash of TD and Starlight Green mica, all from The Conservatorie. It's scented with Wildwood FO from Gracefruit.

I haven't trimmed the tops and can't really decide if I want to because I kind of like the crooked contrast they add to the otherwise straight edged soaps, but then again, I also like things to be neat, so the jury is still out on what I am going to do about the tops. Anyway, here's the soap. Thanks for looking! :)

tilted tiger challenge (1) (Small).JPG

tilted tiger challenge (2) (Small).JPG

yay! you did it! absolutely amazing colors.. muted and soft.. what is wildwood fo smells like? never heard that one before. something forest-y? :D

i'm also having a hard time deciding whether to trim the top or not. at the end, i just leave it there. it's too squarish otherwise. this way, it still has a handmade feel to it, kwim? :)

Those are lovely! Super work! I really like the green shade. Now I have something new to try...:)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Thank you so much, Anna Marie! :) The challenge doesn't end until the 22nd, so there's still plenty of time to join in, if you want to. :D I wouldn't mind making another.

Seven, yes the scent is a forest-y, light sort of scent. Gracefruit says this about it;

A green floral accord opening with top notes of orange and lime with aloe, olive, fresh green leaves, basil, rosemary and lavender with fruity touches of pineapple and peach. Leading into a floral heart of jasmine, geranium, rose, lily, gardenia and hawthorn on a base of sandalwood, cedarwood, amber and musk.

I can't smell even half of those things and to me it just smells green. LOL I'm not very good at describing scents. I think I agree with you to leave the tops alone. The soaps would be too squarish and dare I say, boring, without just a little bit of "crudeness" about them. I'm a bit of a neat freak with my soaps usually, so leaving them uneven like that is to me a challenge all on its own and makes me feel like a reckless rebel! Haha! I really need to learn how to relax with my soaps. One day, I might even go so far as to making wildly textured tops! I think I'd need a soaping buddy before I do that though, or I'll be fiddling and fudging and re-doing the tops ad infinitum until they're one big blurry mess. I'd need a "Titch" to tell me to "Leave the top alone, Celine! They're fine now as they are!" :lol:

Last edited:
You know, I'm expecting my order from BB with 6 or 7 new fragrance oils. Maybe I'll try the challenge with a lime/spearmint blend....

Yay! Good on you, Anna Marie! :D It's not really fair that you don't have a full thirty days though, so we can restart the stopwatch from today.

How about you, FlybyStardancer. Are you game? The more, the merrier! And don't you have just one more tilted tiger up your sleeve, Seven? Just one more? Don't feel pressured, though! Nope. No pressure. None at all. Heh heh. :D

Hahaha, we'll see. ;) Tilted tiger stripes are on my to-try list, but I also have at least three other soaps to do first (two batches of easter soaps, and my egg breakfast soap).

I love that look and think it's a great technique. It's interesting how the soap feels different based on the colors, even with more or less the same pattern. I may have to give it a go, although my upright mold is so skinny, I'm not sure it will look quite right. Well, never know until you try.

Lovely choice of colors and scent, Tienne!

*drool* I tried a tilted tiger swirl a while back, but it ended up looking almost like a dandelion swirl (not sure how that happened), but the colours didn't pop. now....I feel like I need to try it again.

*getting itchy feeling*

It's interesting how the soap feels different based on the colors, even with more or less the same pattern.
Lovely choice of colors and scent, Tienne!

Thank you so much, Newbie! Yes, it's odd how colours have a feel to them, isn't it? I'm in a green/brown/bronze earthy phase at the moment when I really should be making soaps with Spring and Summer colours, so I'm going to make another tilted tiger that's more appropriate for the season. It's a fun technique.

I feel like I need to try it again.
*getting itchy feeling*

Itchy is good, Neeners! Run with that! :D

All round, I would love it if there were more challenges on the forum. I would love to do a challenge that said "Replicate this!" and then post a picture of a pretty soap found online somewhere and then see how folks would back-engineer or re-interpret it and then see what they come up with. That would be awesome! :D

Thanks, guys! I really love the tall moulds and use them a lot. They're really good for drop swirls and hanger swirls, too. :)

Tienne, I love that challenge idea so I just stole it and posted a soap I love and want to figure out how to make. I did give you credit, and I own up to swiping it. I hope you don't hate me.

Last edited:
Waaaaaoooow! That is so pretty. Leave the tops as are. The organic nature of the tilted tops compliments the striping very well.

Tienne, I love that challenge idea so I just stole it and posted a soap I love and want to figure out how to make. I did give you credit, and I own up to swiping it. I hope you don't hate me.

You swiped my idea? I'm absolutely devastated, Newbie! How could you?? Hahaha, just kidding. That's exactly what I wished for! I'm totally stoked and thrilled that someone else thinks it's a fun idea, too! Now, I'm off to find your thread. Oooh, so exciting! :D

Latest posts

Back