SMF Soapmaking Challenge November: Drop and Skewer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question about the rules. If I manage to make a second batch before the deadline, and I like it better than the one I've posted, can I change my entry? From what I'm reading in the various comments, it doesn't seem to be an option, but I want to get an official ruling. Thanks!

Not ignoring you:) I'm consulting the challenge admins and will report back as soon as I hear from them.

To all that hhave submitted, I love your soaps everyone! Absolutely beautiful guys! Thanks for sharing everyone else as well on this thread. Everyone is so talented!!
Gigi I don't see a problem with you submitting the soap before discoloration as that issue was never addressed. They're all beautiful, so submit whatever you feel comfortable with.

TY :)

I'm often fascinated by the difference in people's perspective on what they think is pretty - for example, I rarely have a soap come out the way I intended, and don't usually think mine are pretty. Yet I'm so impressed by everyone else's and think they're beautiful! We truly are our own worst critic.

To all that hhave submitted, I love your soaps everyone! Absolutely beautiful guys! Thanks for sharing everyone else as well on this thread. Everyone is so talented!!
Gigi I don't see a problem with you submitting the soap before discoloration as that issue was never addressed. They're all beautiful, so submit whatever you feel comfortable with.

Oh good, TY LP, I wasn't sure which qualified. TY :)

LionPrincess: no worries! I wasn't expecting an answer immediately, anyhow. Thanks for the update, though!

Time is of the essence with regards to a challenge, so I wanted you to know I have that sense of urgency as I totally understand trying to beat a soap challenge deadline lol! I just noticed newbies response lol. Skimmed too fast...emailed them, but after newbies response I'll totally agree. The submission is open and you're free to change til the deadline. It's an open submission anyway, so I can't see how it's fair to say no in this case.

Last edited:
Doriette Farms: love your colors. I need to get some of that apple green, I'm out. Your entry looks so happy. Nice color combo.

Thanks Judiraz! I was kinda trying to match my scent with my color combo. I'm actually kinda bummed about how the color intensity faded. I even tried newbie's trick and ran some really hot water over the bars hoping to make the colors pop. My photo skills aren't the best so I may see if I can get better pics during daylight hours.

I love the colors you used for your entry! My attempt #3 was going to use amaranth pink but was stressing about it because I thought someone posted it stopped their spin-swirl in it's tracks. Did you notice it thickening up quicker than your other colors?

Third and final attempt at this is in the mold. Hopefully I'll be able to cut tomorrow and see what is hiding in there. It has to be better than my first two tries. I can do a drop swirl, really I can...I can swear too!

The entries are really beautiful. I have a feeling that it's going to be another really tough decision when it comes time to vote.

Last edited:
As long as I soap < 100 and stopped SB after emulsion I didn't have any problem with the amaranth pink. I think it is interesting that the desert sunset morphs to a pink shade as well. I was trying for a orangy shade since my FO was Apple Mango Tango. I was trying to bring the mango color in as well, but the pink shade was OK.

I wish I had entered this challenge. We're still in a state of flux here, not knowing when we'll have to leave for the funeral so I don't even dare try at this point. Everyone's soaps are so amazing! Those who have entered in the challenge thread and those who have posted here, I salute you. I love seeing all the attempts and the entries.

commoncenz, what did you do to the top of your beautiful soap? It is SO pretty!!!

BTW I don't know if I will make the challenge or not. This is my busy time with my jewelry store.

So I'm thinking my next DIY cardboard box project will be to build myself a light box for taking pictures. I've been meaning to for a while but haven't gotten around to it. After looking at my very crappy pictures, I think it's time LOL.

My facial soap is really fugly, but I am really chuffed with my challenge entry. I'm not very good with colours but I think I got it just right, even if I do say so myself. I made another challenge attempt today, but I am going to enter my first one.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447951034.715924.jpg

Time is of the essence with regards to a challenge, so I wanted you to know I have that sense of urgency as I totally understand trying to beat a soap challenge deadline lol! I just noticed newbies response lol. Skimmed too fast...emailed them, but after newbies response I'll totally agree. The submission is open and you're free to change til the deadline. It's an open submission anyway, so I can't see how it's fair to say no in this case.

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

Unmolded and cut my one and only attempt. I didn't drop and swear, but I sure did cut and swear. My batter was definitely too fluid, and my base layer wasn't deep enough.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447952703.971480.jpg

commoncenz, what did you do to the top of your beautiful soap? It is SO pretty!!!

BTW I don't know if I will make the challenge or not. This is my busy time with my jewelry store.

I used a fondant lace embossing mat on the bottom of my mold to create a lace "top". I got the idea from a post on Auntie Clara's blog. I actually just posted pics of my second attempt using this technique (with a link to Auntie Clara's blog discussing how she made her own embossing mat). I really like this technique. It adds a little something that was missing to the soap.

http://auntieclaras.com/2014/09/mexican-lace-and-how-i-made-a-silicone-texture-mat/

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=560889#post560889

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back