SMF Soapmaking Challenge November: Drop and Skewer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the entries are so pretty! I'm so impressed with how deceptively difficult this technique is and how well everyone did with it :)

All the entries are really beautiful. It's amazing how one technique can produce so many completely different designs. I'm so glad you chose this lionprincess as I have avoided it before due to the unpredictability of the result. I'm such a control freak that I find challenges like this really hard as you can't tell what you are going to get!

This is try #2. I didn't have time for all the requirements to qualify for the challenge but I'm pleased with the results. I used Dream FO from The Sage and it smells amazing!

20151118_191249_zpsjsfozump.jpg

20151120_111129_zpsqsosvifh.jpg

Thanks Saponista! Finally got the courage to show what I made! Everyone's soaps are so lovely! Like you, I'm a bit of a control freak, but soaping has actually forced me to let go a bit :)
I wasn't entirely sure what this challenge was supposed to look like, but I knew my first attempt wasn't it. Poured way too thin. Got tired and rushed it, when I should've had more patience...another lesson to be sure! :)

Everyone's entries (other than my pink nightmare) look awesome.

I am in love with the top on Dibbles entry. Those colors look perfect together and so much restraint was shown on her swirling. Just lovely.

I am in love with the top on Dibbles entry. Those colors look perfect together and so much restraint was shown on her swirling. Just lovely.

Snappy I know 3 people right off the top of my head that would go gaga for your neon pink bars because they adore neon pink. :)

Thank you Snappy. It's hard to stop swirling for sure, but I've learned the hard way to try to keep it under control. And I don't think your soap is a nightmare at all! Bright, to be sure, but sometimes that's fun and the swirls you did are very nice.

I just have to say that there is something I really like about every single entry. I don't know how I'll ever choose. What a great challenge this has been - so many successful results, and all are so different and so lovely. Wow!

My one and only entry didn't turn out as expected but I think they're growing on me. I just have to get some good stills taken and I'll be ready to post.
I wish I had managed the time to make another attempt, but things are really gearing up at work, and I was told that our Thanksgiving was being moved to tomorrow (eeek!) since that's the only time everyone can get together. So I've been making cranberry & pear chutney and rum cake tonight.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1448116705.517543.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1448116721.191711.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1448116737.233981.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1448116751.241233.jpg

Here is my other attempt. I think it highlights my inability to get colours right. There were supposed to be two contrasting shades of purple but they clash horribly and for some reason he grey came out all mottled. Kind of disappointed with them as the design would have been lovely if I could have got the colouring right. Back to the drawing board!

It really, really has helped me to do this challenge. I think part of my problem up till now is I have done this decorative stuff so seldom, I haven't ever gotten comfortable with it. I don't normally make 5 batches in such a short time - especially swirled soaps! As I've worked on the challenge, I've had to persevere to reach my goal, regardless of how frustrated I felt at the moment. I've learned that if things go awry, I can still get a decent result. I feel a little like a kid who's taken her first ride on a bicycle without training wheels. :)

I really love the brown one. I like it because it is so delicate. It looks clean and fresh with the white base and the brown is a great contrast - not harsh and not wish you washy. The very top is nice too as it totally blends with the swirls.

Last edited:
Here is my other attempt. I think it highlights my inability to get colours right. There were supposed to be two contrasting shades of purple but they clash horribly and for some reason he grey came out all mottled. Kind of disappointed with them as the design would have been lovely if I could have got the colouring right. Back to the drawing board!

Ooops so when someone asks how you got the gorgeous mottled grey you'll have to say it's a trade secret. [emoji2][emoji2]

Latest posts

Back