SMF November 2023 Challenge - Splash Swirl Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see it 👀. Are you sure you aren't just being too critical?
Lemme think about it. So I've been known to be hypercritical but really, this is like solid stearic spots and a few feeble wisps! It smells great and I'll enjoy it, it's just now very pur-tee or award winning looking!
@CLMP you are still eligible to vote even though you didn't make something you wanted to enter. I appreciate that you tried.
Seriously, can we please get a trophy or something for @CLMP for leaving us detailed notes and was completely open and candid and tried FOUR TIMES!!

Attempt #3 - somewhere between the thin plastic "wire" (attempts 1 and 2) and the thicker straw (attempt 3) will be the perfect sized tool for getting prettier swirls. Oh well - progress and lots of learning. So.many.lessons.learned. :) My colors came out fairly muted which was a surprise. There are swirls - just not long wispy swirls - yet. But....it smells wonderful. Rosemary/Juniper/Sage essential oils blend. Can you tell I am clearing my freezer of goat milk in preparation for all the babies coming in the next few months? The milk will be flowing and the freezers will be full once again.

I love seeing all the entries (and attempts). You guys are truly inspiring! Keep sharing.

Attachments

• pink stormy blue.jpg
    pink stormy blue.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Well here is a photo of my 4th attempt I just cut it they look awful. So I won't be gifting these. I'm just glad I was at least able to save the soap for my self to use. I'm hoping it's alright if I still vote for everybody's soaps even though I'm out of the game. I did try my hardest to come up with an entry. Hopefully no one will mind if I still vote!View attachment 75355
I think you need the award for perseverance! That’s a lot of attempts. Sorry none of them went as planned. The black, white and red soap is beautiful and that you can keep two colors divided without dividers is amazing to me!

that you can keep two colors divided without dividers is amazing to me!
Me too! I can hardly do it *with* dividers, there are always extra amounts going under and over the dividers.

@CLMP, agree with everyone else that it's great that you've been so persistent. I think all of us go through periods where things just go wrong for several batches in a row for reasons that aren't always clear, and it's just so frustrating. Thank you for being willing to share about yours so that next time I'll think of you and refrain from packing up my soap stuff and picking up a bag of potato chips and the remote in a snit :)

Well, I really wanted to enter the challenge this month, but I only had time for one try. Unfortunately, it isn't a great presentation of the designated technique. I'm not quite sure why, as my batter was very fluid, and I did lots of plunges. Oh well. I still think it's pretty, and it smells nice, with a blend of peppermint EO and rose FO, and some sparkly mica on top and inside. I'm calling it Christmas Rose.

EDIT: there are really three colors in there, even though it only looks like two. The EO/FO mix made the base color go from very light to a ghastly orange-tan. You can see the TD spots from my desperate and unprepared attempt to lighten the base, to no avail. So, I switched up the plan and made the base pink, with darker pink and red for the swirls. I'm just glad it didn't turn into meat soap!!

Splash Swirl Soap.jpg

I didn't mind being that persistent because I knew I needed alot of new soaps to be ready for Christmas presents lol!😂. Plus I'm a little bit of a perfectionist so I Usually keep doing stuff till I get it right lol. So even though I didn't make the challenge I will probably keep trying the slash swirl till I get it right lol. I'll let everyone know in the future if I get it right lol.🤣

I didn't mind being that persistent because I knew I needed alot of new soaps to be ready for Christmas presents lol!😂. Plus I'm a little bit of a perfectionist so I Usually keep doing stuff till I get it right lol. So even though I didn't make the challenge I will probably keep trying the slash swirl till I get it right lol. I'll let everyone know in the future if I get it right lol.🤣
The SLASH swirl

If I didn't have my hubby to nip my soap making in the bud, I would keep trying too! 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, can we please get a trophy or something for @CLMP for leaving us detailed notes and was completely open and candid and tried FOUR TIMES!!
If I had the energy I would give everyone an award of some kind. You all have been so good about sharing your experiences. The entries and the unentered alike have all been inspiring.

So not really a happy camper right now because I just unmolded and cut my batch! Uffda! Regarding the design specifically, I used 3 accents at 25% and it looked like A LOT when I was pouring -- but the accents barely registered! If I do another attempt, I'll drop it to two accents at 25%. Also, it seemed like I plunged my hanger too many times -- but I didn't do it enough! Next time I'll be more aggressive. @dibbles said she went across, then back, then a couple more. I think I'll do 3 passes next time. I was also worried that all the colors would be muddled together. My accent charcoal black and main color cappuccino brown mica did get muddled, the black barely registers at all.

When I was stirring, I saw a coupla stearic spots forming so I was prepared for a few spots. When I unmolded, though, it's like nothing but stearic spots!
So old me would have beaten myself up. New me says I still got soap and me and Mrs. Zing will enjoy how it feels -- despite how it looks. But I won't be giving any away!!
*heavy sigh
Well, since @CLMP double-dared me to show them mine, here ya go. Warning, not pretty (really, I'm fine, I still got great smelling homemade soap!). My inspiration was our kitchen. One of the main colors is red and chartreuse is an accent. Scented with fir/sage/litsea/lemongrass essential oils.

I still want to do another attempt but with 29 minutes to deadline, it ain't happenin' in time for this challenge. While I was disappointed in my result I still enjoyed doing this challenge which I have never seen before. It's deceptively harder than it looks so my hat is off to all who entered! And thank you to our challenge organizer @dibbles !
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg

*heavy sigh
Well, since @CLMP double-dared me to show them mine, here ya go. Warning, not pretty (really, I'm fine, I still got great smelling homemade soap!). My inspiration was our kitchen. One of the main colors is red and chartreuse is an accent. Scented with fir/sage/litsea/lemongrass essential oils.

I still want to do another attempt but with 29 minutes to deadline, it ain't happenin' in time for this challenge. While I was disappointed in my result I still enjoyed doing this challenge which I have never seen before. It's deceptively harder than it looks so my hat is off to all who entered! And thank you to our challenge organizer @dibbles !View attachment 75412View attachment 75413
Thanks for showing us @Zing. You still got the lovely wispy swirls in there so at least you got the technique down. And hey - it could have been worse - you could have spilt your red mica all over the kitchen like some other clumsy clogs i know!!!

Latest posts

Back