SMF Soapmaking Challenge November: Drop and Skewer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie, how much does the Vanilla Rosewood discolor, and can you hide it. I have three sample sizes from BB that I've been wanting to try but I haven't worked with discoloring FOs (I skipped that challenge). I LOVE the scent, tho, and want to give it a go.

It's hard to gauge since I colored it but people say everything from light brown to dark brown. I didn't go a full 6% so I may get a lighter-to-medium brown. SO far the bars still look red. They are getting darker red but I can still discern the color and the paprika. I gelled so I thought I'd get the darker color but it may just go medium. Sorry I can't be more help. It has a 5% vanilla content so I doubt you will be able to completely hide it. If you did 50% of that and found a non-DC'ing FO for the other 50% in a blend you like, you would probably get a light brown/medium tan.

I just peeked at the entries and now I don't wanna submit mine LOL. You guys blow my mind with how pretty your soaps come out. I love the colors and the variety! I'm waiting for attempt number two to set up so I can decide which to submit. I really like my first attempt but, based on everyone else's, I'm not sure it hits the mark. I'm off to cut these new ones and see what is inside this loaf :)

Gigi, don't worry about it; mine has been uploaded. (Too bad this isn't the ugliest soap challenge; then you could not bother with your entry. I'd have all the votes! :lol:)

Hahahahaha I feel like that about many of my soaps. I don't think I've seen yours yet, but I'm sure it's not ugly :)

I just had an epic fail. There wasn't any dropping as my soap seized in seconds. I stupidly decided to use a fragrance I hadn't tested. There sure was a lot of swearing. A ton of mica everywhere that it shouldnt be. Now I have to try again without my squeeze bottles as they are filled with seized soap. There go all my plans out of the window. Aaarrggggghhhhhhhhh

It' s interesting that what seems to be a simple challenge can be so .....challenging! I think that's what keeps this craft so interesting. I can plan and have a pretty good idea what my finished soap will look like, but I'm always a bit surprised with a color that morphed or an interesting curlyque I wasn't expecting.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447868280.026263.jpg

First attempt, really sad as it was for myself. I used some lovely oils that I have had been saving just for me, rosehip, sweet almond, Shea and tallow facial bar which was scented with a mixture of spikenard fragrance oil and lavender eo. It smells divine but looks horrific. Maybe I will still be able to use it.......

I did manage to do a drop skewer attempt afterwards though. I only did a small amount of skewering. I am always afraid of overdoing it but think I might not have swirled enough. I hate these challenges where you can't see what you're doing until it's too late!!!

I'm hoping you get one of those soaps that looks like it will be a bust but when you cut it, there is actually something tolerable or even good inside. You just never know. Even if it's ugly, it will be kind to your face!

Now i have to go look up spikenard.

It's a bummer to hear the fragrance seized on you, Saponista. I've had that happen too, and it's sooooo frustrating to deal with. I'm with Newbie on this one, however -- wait until you cut before you decide whether the soap is a bust or not.

Newbie asked for better pics of my trial soaps. Here they are --

First pic is of the soap that I drop swirled when the batter was at a mashed potatoes stage. The base is an ITP swirl that was poured at light trace. The three colors in the drop swirl are ultramarine blue, ultramarine green, and pink clay. I really despaired about this one when I got the drop swirls dropped (no, that would be plopped!!!) into the mold and swirled. But the result is fine. Not stellar, but okay.

Second pic is the first attempt at the ultramarine blue and annatto yellow drop swirl with a blue ITP swirl added. The drop swirl didn't go deep enough, but I liked the color combo. And I liked how the ITP swirl added those wisps of color to the lower half of the soap.

Third pic is the one with three colors -- gold mica and the two ultramarines. It's wispy, and I like that, but I wanted the wispy-ness to cover more of the soap.

Fourth pic is a two-color combo that I want to try again -- Hershey's special dark cocoa and again the pink clay. (I don't have a lot of colors in my soaping palette!) Again, the drop swirl didn't go deep enough. The pink part blended in with the brown part too much, so it looks like there's a lot less rosy color than there really is. If anything, it needs to be the other way around -- more rose and less brown. But the combo is interesting to me.

As always, critiques, suggestions, and advice are welcome!

P1020150 700.jpg

DSC_0026 700.jpg

DSC_0022 700.jpg

DSC_0024 700.jpg

Last edited:
I love all of them for different reasons deeanna. The one with the pale blue and white on the bottom and the green on top is really lovely and and really original too. My favourite has to be the dark brown one though.

DeeAnna, i think you have a secret swirl Diva inside you! I love the colours and wispiness of your swirls. I was also really interested to see the effect of the blue ITP swirl. It's really beautiful!

My second attempt is a bust as far as the challenge goes. It was another plop and swear batch! The base was poured at thin trace but when I added the colors to the other two 1/3 cups it got so thick so quick all I could do is plop the 2 colors on top of each other and stir it around. I don't think batter thin enough to swirl will ever be in my house!

I'm loving all the entries so far!

It really, really has helped me to do this challenge. I think part of my problem up till now is I have done this decorative stuff so seldom, I haven't ever gotten comfortable with it. I don't normally make 5 batches in such a short time - especially swirled soaps! As I've worked on the challenge, I've had to persevere to reach my goal, regardless of how frustrated I felt at the moment. I've learned that if things go awry, I can still get a decent result. I feel a little like a kid who's taken her first ride on a bicycle without training wheels. :)

I just poured my one and only attempt for this challenge. My batter behaved, I didn't SB too far, the only thing I'm not sure of is if I poured enough base before my colors. I think my first color pour might have hit bottom.

My new pooch has pretty serious separation anxiety. I had to gate him in the other room and listen to him whine and cry.

I'm so happy you decided to participate deeanna, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the process. Let's hope other soapers on the forum decide to do the same thing and join in too! It's so much more fun tackling a technique as a group than facing it alone! :)

Wow, I've just looked at the official entry thread and the soaps are beautiful. I'm seriously in awe!!

My second attempt doesn't look great as I over swirled :( I'm hoping I get time to try again before the deadline. I love the colour and scent though, so all is not lost!!

I have a question about the rules. If I manage to make a second batch before the deadline, and I like it better than the one I've posted, can I change my entry? From what I'm reading in the various comments, it doesn't seem to be an option, but I want to get an official ruling. Thanks!

I think this came up in a different challenge and someone asked the exact same question. As long as your soap is made and submitted by deadline, you can change your entry. That's my take on it anyhow. We'll see what LP has to say since it's her challenge

Well I'm not sure I like my second attempt. It smells absolutely divine - CC Lemongrass Mint - but I'm not sure about the colors and can't decide between the first attempt pic 1) and the second (pic 2). And to top it off , the FO in the first attempt discolored (pic 3). Ugh!. And I'm torn between when it was still white, right after cutting, and the discolored, a few days after cut. Oh the decisions! I would make a third attempt but I'm not sure I have enough lye left, have to weigh it, or that I should waste the resources at this point.
uploadfromtaptalk1447890636684.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447890662036.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447890720575.jpg

Back