SMF Soapmaking Challenge November: Drop and Skewer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 17785View attachment 17786View attachment 17787View attachment 17788

Here is my other attempt. I think it highlights my inability to get colours right. There were supposed to be two contrasting shades of purple but they clash horribly and for some reason he grey came out all mottled. Kind of disappointed with them as the design would have been lovely if I could have got the colouring right. Back to the drawing board!

You know it's the weirdest thing. The last couple months I have had that mottling issue. Thought it was pko flakes, then maybe me leaving the film in the lye water (ash development from 40% lye), not gelling, gelling, sodium citrate...all of which never gave me an issue before. I still have it hit or miss eliminating all the supposed issues. Weirdest thing, and I noticed it on yours only because I've been battling it lately. It looks awesome on yours, though! Wish my mottles looked half as nice!

I thought it might be the sodium citrate. I usually dissolve it in a pan of boiling water until it has all disappeared, but this time I just dumped it into the hot lye water and I'm not sure if it all completely dissolved. I also masterbatched my oils and it is quite cold in my workshop at the moment so I wondered if the oils being too solid might have caused it.

Oooh did I read that right? Entries by the 23th? I definitely have a soap that qualifies for the drop and swear because I used palm and olive oil (vegan friend) for the first time in a year. Since I was doing an "icy peppermint" the color were blue and white - I had to use td. Pour pour, mix mix, measure measure, stick blend...and that's when the swearing began. :evil: Plop plop, scrape scrape, swear swear, give up and run a spoon handle through it. (Would that count as a skewer?)

Darn! This is why people use warm oils!

Doesn't have to be a skewer. You can use whatever you like to swirl, except for a hanger, so spoon counts. You would just have to make sure you took a pic of it to included it in a pic of your soaps. Sounds like you're in!

Oh my -- there are some awfully pretty soaps in the challenge. I was away for the weekend and just got caught up admiring the latest entries. Lovely!!!!

I'm looking at the different color combinations people have chosen for their soaps and I'm getting great tips for my next try with this technique. But no time to try again for the challenge, nor do I want to! I'm sticking with my entry. :)

It's been a difficult week - lost my husband Jim Thursday after a long, five year fight with cancer and I and the children are just drained. So I'm just resting for the first time in weeks and decided to check in on some of the threads and am so happy i did.

It lifted my spirits to see all the very beautiful soaps and color combinations our talented member have entered into this months challenge. I'm glad I'm not the one who will have to decide on a winner in this one.,

It will be a month or more till I have a kitchen and will be able to make soap again, so I'll keep reading all the threads here and enjoying all the sharing.

June

Oh June ::::::::hugs:::::::: I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad he isn't in pain anymore and is at peace, but I'm so sorry for you and your family. Prayers for all of you.

June, I'm so so sorry. I've only been here a short time but I could see how much you have done for your husband. I hope you are able to find peace in this difficult time.

June, I am SO sorry for your loss. I, too, am mourning the loss of a loved one. My 18 y.o. grandson died earlier this month. Knowing how much it hurts to lose a grandchild, I can't imagine how much it hurts losing a life partner. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

June, I am so very sorry for your loss. Remember to take time for, and care of, yourself. I hope you can find some peace and comfort in the love that remains in your heart.

It sounds like its been a long arduous and sad time for all of you, June. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and I'm glad we and our soaps can provide a small lift for you.

Back