SMF October 2018 Challenge - Travel Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job everyone - all the entries were so creative. Thanks to SaltedFig for hosting - it was a great idea for a challenge, and I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to play this month.

I had a customer/fellow vendor (who makes and sells a few soaps) ask if I'd been participating in any new soap challenges (he bought one of my dancing funnel soaps and I told him about SMF and the challenges). I had to tell him I was just too busy to participate; it didn't feel very good. Now that our regular season (two Christmas markets coming up) is over, I'm hoping I'll have time and energy for making soap and participating in challenges.

You all have done a marvellous job. There are some very creative ideas in the entry thread. Well done!

I absolutely loved this month's challenge! I still have a ton of ideas left that I just didntd have time to try.. might continue working on this one for another month;) thanks @SaltedFig for hosting! This challenge really helped me push my boundaries and try out new things!

Thank you to all participants this month :)

Voting has now closed for this month's Travel Soap challenge.
A big thank you to everyone who participated - everyone received at least one vote this month, so well done!

Congratulations to our winners for this month's challenge:
@msunnerstood (joint 1st place) and @szaza (joint 1st place) and @Cellador! :D

msunnerstood's winning travel soap entry

szaza's winning travel soap entry

Cellador's winning travel soap entry
[URL='https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-october-2018-challenge-travel-soap-entry-thread.71898/#post-724709'] [/URL]

Congrats to all the winners and participants - the creativity abounded and I loved seeing the variety of clever entries!

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you, all the participants for the great ideas! Where I am from, about half of the public restrooms do not have soap and people carry what we call "paper soap" in their purse. It's see-through and paper thin and looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=紙石鹸...jrbeAhV6HTQIHTVvC0sQ_AUIDigB&biw=1227&bih=561

Before I go back to my country next time, I will be making my own travel soap like what @Cellador made! It looks super practical!

Darn - I’ve been a member here for a few years, but because I’m a slack@#$& and forget which forums I’m a member of, I didn’t (still don’t) have enough posts to be eligible for the challenge. My travel soap is one of my best sellers ;) Winners efforts look awesome

Thank you sarasvati ... some of those soaps look lovely - I especially like the japanese paper soaps!

BubblesnBears ... If you're willing to share, we'd love to see what sort of travel soaps you make!

(All travel soap pictures are welcome on this challenge discussion thread :))

Salted Fig, thank you for inviting me to upload mine despite being ineligible (and missing the challenge!) Very basic compared to many, but amazing how quickly I sell out of them. Each ‘curl’ lasts 1-2 washes depending how heavy people are on on their soap.

8B6FC373-6C47-41C6-9132-4D1830151D98.jpeg

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I had this idea of making small tablet shaped soaps in a blister pack, but didn't want to cause too much waste.. Well it just happened I had to take some medication and as I was about to throw away the empty pack I realized I wasn't wasting anything if I just reused a blister pack :) So I tried it out anyway.. And as I was thinking of different ways to make an emergency soap dispenser, @Samantha Lopez 's idea of tic tac soap got me inspired to try mini mint soaps.. I really like how you just press to get one tiny piece of soap without having to touch any of the others!
View attachment 32793
And these are some of the other creations that were made during an afternoon of playing around with soap dough.. The clothes are for a different suitcase than my entry, which didn't arrive on time and the clothes don't fit the smaller suitcase. (and it would probably have been cheating to enter those because my boyfriend helped with the skirt, shampoo bottle, binoculars and the camera)
My boyfriend also got the idea to make a pinecone instead of a flower, because it's a bit sturdier and you can still easily peel off small bits, so he made a soap dough pinecone! :D
View attachment 32795
Super! And I also love the pine cone idea too.

I am so sorry I missed this challenge while off traveling in Europe! Wow, what a great challenge, SaltedFig! While traveling, I brought a few extra of my travel soaps with me and even left a bar or two behind for the next traveler (or the maids). Properly labeled, of course. Although none were EU compliant, so don't report me, please!

Back