SMF October 2018 Challenge - Travel Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't make the time to get this done. I need to be an adult and do the things that need doing. Most of these are good, but all are time consuming. Earlier in the month, when I thought I'd have the time to play around a bit, I poured a thin layer left from another soap. I think it kind of looks like a goofy little owl, so I'll share this at least. Good luck everyone - I am anxious to see what you come up with.
little owl.JPG

Yay Thank you!! Just posted mine :)

I just can't make the time to get this done. I need to be an adult and do the things that need doing. Most of these are good, but all are time consuming. Earlier in the month, when I thought I'd have the time to play around a bit, I poured a thin layer left from another soap. I think it kind of looks like a goofy little owl, so I'll share this at least. Good luck everyone - I am anxious to see what you come up with.
View attachment 32681
I love the design!

Last edited by a moderator:
@szaza My latest attempts have been with home-made rice paper (like you, I found the shop bought ones too thick and insoluable for the purpose). I'll see if I can get some decent photo's up for you to check out.

@Arimara The competition is open until the 28th, so if you can squeeze in a competition entry, we'd love to see your ideas!
I fear I won't be able too in time. I will be a little busy.

View attachment 32681
Ooohhh, it does look like an owl.

I will take some photos tomorrow. Mine seems very boring compared to other people's ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my non-entry. The shavings are from the soap I made too late for the dancing funnel challenge. I used a veggie peeler and slowly shaved the soap into small curls. They are a little thick, though, so they don't completely wash away. I did not coat this tin with beeswax as that was annoying to do. But I did decorate the tin to match the challenge entry. Here is, "Glamping, Part Deux."

IMG_20181019_110444~3.jpeg
IMG_20181019_110527~2.jpeg

That is very nice! And specially love the color. Is my favorite color :)

The tin idea, I like it! Very practical.

I have such a good idea for this, but dont think I'll have the time to make it. **** adult responsibilities ...

@Cellador I LOVE your practical soap! :thumbs:

I'm still experimenting. Made some pictures on sunday, but still want to improve.. (if I manage to get it right) so many ideas!!!

Edit: Omg I just saw I complimented the wrong person..:oops: @Cellador of course I mean you! I have no idea why I mixed you up with amd, somehow your avatars seem to look similar to me.. sorry sorry sorry sorry!:hairpulling:

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread I mentioned I had this idea of making small tablet shaped soaps in a blister pack, but didn't want to cause too much waste.. Well it just happened I had to take some medication and as I was about to throw away the empty pack I realized I wasn't wasting anything if I just reused a blister pack :) So I tried it out anyway.. And as I was thinking of different ways to make an emergency soap dispenser, @Samantha Lopez 's idea of tic tac soap got me inspired to try mini mint soaps.. I really like how you just press to get one tiny piece of soap without having to touch any of the others!
IMG_6613.JPG
And these are some of the other creations that were made during an afternoon of playing around with soap dough.. The clothes are for a different suitcase than my entry, which didn't arrive on time and the clothes don't fit the smaller suitcase. (and it would probably have been cheating to enter those because my boyfriend helped with the skirt, shampoo bottle, binoculars and the camera)
My boyfriend also got the idea to make a pinecone instead of a flower, because it's a bit sturdier and you can still easily peel off small bits, so he made a soap dough pinecone! :D
IMG_6614.JPG

I have such a good idea for this, but dont think I'll have the time to make it. **** adult responsibilities ...
All these ideas are so interesting but for those of us who have too many "adult responsibilities" all I do is buy a plastic $ store soap travel box in which a normal bar of soap fits. Of course this is only for use in the hotel and not gas station rest rooms.

All these ideas are so interesting but for those of us who have too many "adult responsibilities" all I do is buy a plastic $ store soap travel box in which a normal bar of soap fits. Of course this is only for use in the hotel and not gas station rest rooms.
That's what I do. But this was a challenge and an opportunity to be creative. This happened to fall on a day that my normal "Adult Responsibilities" didn't get in the way and I was able to make time for fun.

That's what I do. But this was a challenge and an opportunity to be creative. This happened to fall on a day that my normal "Adult Responsibilities" didn't get in the way and I was able to make time for fun.
Good for you. Not so with me. I am very behind on lotion making. Caught up on soap though so that's good.

Voting PM's have been sent to all who signed up!
Please vote for your favourite 3 travel soaps.

Thank you to all those who have participated in this months challenge! :)

(If you experience any difficulties voting, please send me a PM - voting will remain open until 12noon GMT on the 31st October :))

I think this is more for soap in your handbag type occasions and for when you are backpacking or travelling ultra light.

UGH I am such a slacker! Once again I didn't get in on the challenge, even though it would have been super easy(ish). *sigh* Maybe some of the 2019 challenges I'll be able to participate in. ...

Latest posts

Back