SMF Challenge October 2023: Ciaglia/Plain Straight Line

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to let you (and all) know, we DID meet this afternoon and CLMP is as lovely in person as she is on SMF. She gifted me some gorgeous soaps (including a previous challenge winner). Seriously, she is one amazing soap maker! I will post pics when I take them.

For my example batch, I poured the ciaglia first with a cardboard divider already wedged into the corner of the mold, and then as I poured the ciaglia portion I leaned the cardboard over the top to the opposite corner until the ciaglia was encapsulated into a triangle shape. I left it sitting in the mold with the cardboard on top while I mixed up the plain part. When that was ready to pour I dragged the cardboard divider up the diagonal, scraping it against the top edge of the mold to ensure a slick edge. Gave it a quick press over the top with a flat knife to ensure it was straight, and then poured the plain into the triangular shaped cavity left in the mold. I preferred the ciaglia first because I was using an accelerating FO with the ciaglia so i knew I would get a crisp edge to put the plain soap directly onto in the same soaping session.
Can I just say I'm well jel of how fine some of you can get your ciaglia 'lumps'. I can't seem to get mine as fine as that, no matter how much I stick blend!
That's handy! I like the cardboard idea. I set my mold on a roaster rack to get the diagonal, and felt pretty impressed with myself haha.

Attachments

• OctChallenge2.jpg
    OctChallenge2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Well I just got home and I'd like to congratulate the winners @Ford and @ScentimentallyYours your soaps are wonderful.🙂 Also a big thanks to everyone who voted for me I was almost in Kelowna when @Misschief text me to let me know that @Ford and I made first place together that was so cool! A very big thanks to @KiwiMoose for her idea to say hi to @Misschief in Kelowna we actually got to meet each other and hang out for a cup of tea and she spoiled me with a bunch of gifts that are so amazing her products are soooo nice! We're hoping next time I plan to go to Kelowna to stay longer and have a soaping session together, that will be so fun. I had a wonderful trip and now I must go to bed he he! A picture of the gifts @Misschief gave to me they smell wonderful and I can't wait to try them all the cream and Chapstick is amazing!
IMG_20231030_212944.jpg

Congratulations to the winners @CLMP @Ford and @ScentimentallyYours for making terrific Ciaglia soaps and to all other entrants for loads of inspiration. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I had intended to try to make an entry but left it to the last minute and then came down with a very bad cold. Thanks, @KiwiMoose for hosting another great challenge!

Congratulations to the winners @CLMP @Ford and @ScentimentallyYours for making terrific Ciaglia soaps and to all other entrants for loads of inspiration. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I had intended to try to make an entry but left it to the last minute and then came down with a very bad cold. Thanks, @KiwiMoose for hosting another great challenge!
Hope you are feeling better!

@ScentimentallyYours - how do you get your ciaglia so fine? Am I just impatient and don't stick blend mine enough into the oils?
not @ScentimentallyYours , but if I want super smooth, I add the shreds to warm oils (150 F), let them soften for about an hour and then stick blend until they're as smooth as I can get them. Depending on the quantity and quality of the threads, breaks may be necessary to avoid overheating the SB.

Latest posts

Back