SMF October 2018 Challenge - Travel Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the sign up thread, another thread will be posted in the lye forum and members will post their pics. You can view previous challenge photos from the august and sept ones in tbe lye forum.

Thank you for the idea Samantha (and welcome aboard!).

While you can't post to the challenges entry thread quite yet, this thread is where we chat about idea's ...

Photo's of soap are ALWAYS welcome, so feel free to make your soaps and show them off here! :D
Thank you! Im so glad I found SMF... people bonding over soapmaking and other diy stuff :) I am looking forward to participating in the challenges when time permits.

Hmm s(oap)kittles? Sounds like a fun Idea! Oh now I want to make a soapy KitKat cake! Those have always intrigued me.. (sorry off topic)
I actually had a similar idea of putting soap pills/tablets in a blister pack, so you could take one out with wet hands without ruining the others, but didn't like the amount of waste it would produce.. A tictac dispenser would probably work really well though! let us know if you decide to try it out:thumbs:
Soapy kitkat is a great idea too! If I can carve out some time, I will attempt it!

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds fantastic and also perfect addition to what I make.

Sounds like an interest challenge. I think I'll just follow this challenge. Lol, I'm still working on the last one. Stupid life keeps happening every time I sign up but I'm really interest in what everyone will come up with!

1. Primrose - oooooh love this idea!
2. szaza - hope this will bring me one step closer:)
3. msunnerstood - My First One
4. Alzie - I'm in! May the hospitality gods lead our way
5. jcandleattic - I will tentatively sign up in the hopes I will actually be able to get organized enough to participate in this one.
6. KimT2au
7. dibbles - no ideas - need coffee
8. mommycarlson - litterally saying "huh?" this should be interesting....
9. penelopejane - I love to travel & love soap - what could go wrong?
10. SunRiseArts - I already know what I am going to do!
11. Cellador- I have something I've been wanting to try...
12. LiLiSoapz-This would be great for my student bathroom. Woohoo!
13. Zanzalawi- i've only had one idea, i'm going with it lol

Awsome challenge
I also thought about the idea of a tin with tiny soaps

5. jcandleattic - I will tentatively sign up in the hopes I will actually be able to get organized enough to participate in this one.
6. KimT2au
14. Angelique- will I ever upload the end result we'll see haha

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about time some pictures show up in this thread! I had this idea that maybe I could make a flower with thinner leaves by making it the way chocolate flowers are made. (Dipping a knife in batter and spreading it on a sheet of parchment paper) I was wrong, the batter has to be quite thick to make a nice leaf and the thinner leafs all broke. Plus a flower is awfully delicate to take on a trip. This is the result so far. Not my best creation but another thing to cross off the list of things to try;)
photo_editor_1539633055355.jpg

Do these need to be original ideas?

Personally, I think Susie invented the perfect travel soap already.

All challenges involve some attempt at creating, or recreating, a soap idea, so no, it does not need to be a new idea at all.
(If Susie's version of the KOH gel soap idea is perfect for you, that is wonderful!)

Personally I am currently exploring rice paper "picture" soaps (skin safe ink, printed or painted onto rice paper, and coated in translucent soap) - I think they are beautiful as well as practical. That's the wonderful thing about the monthly challenges - it's a way to re-interpret an old idea, or come up with a completely new idea, in the name of soapy creativity!

I am looking forward to seeing our challenge participants different interpretations of this months challenge theme! :)

It's about time some pictures show up in this thread! I had this idea that maybe I could make a flower with thinner leaves by making it the way chocolate flowers are made. (Dipping a knife in batter and spreading it on a sheet of parchment paper) I was wrong, the batter has to be quite thick to make a nice leaf and the thinner leafs all broke. Plus a flower is awfully delicate to take on a trip. This is the result so far. Not my best creation but another thing to cross off the list of things to try;)View attachment 32587

Flowers! ... Your flowers, unpacked and set out on in the bathroom bench of a tropical resort stay ... perfect! Thanks szaza :D
(I am looking forward to seeing what's next on your list!)

Personally I am currently exploring rice paper "picture" soaps (skin safe ink, printed or painted onto rice paper, and coated in translucent soap) - I think they are beautiful as well as practical. That's the wonderful thing about the monthly challenges - it's a way to re-interpret an old idea, or come up with a completely new idea, in the name of soapy creativity!
That sounds like a wonderful idea! I love it when beauty and practicality come together so I'd love to see the results! If you don't mind me asking.. what kind of rice paper are you using? And how well does it dissolve? I've been experimenting with different types of paper because I like the idea of paper soap, but haven't found the right one yet.. dissolving paper is hard to find and from the YouTube videos it doesn't seem to dissolve quite quickly enough, so didn't bother paying for shipping. I've tried edible paper, but the consistency changed and it got very britle (and it didn't dissolve quickly enough either). Then I tried regular old 1ply eco toilet paper which doesn't dissolve at all, but it's relatively pleasant to work with when making the soap. Lastly I tried soluvlies, which is a dissolving, biodegradable plastic sheet (polyvinylalcohol) used in embroidery. It dissolves so well in water that it disappears as soon as it touches liquid soap.. so I'm back to the drawing board trying to think of other materials to use..;)

Can you use the plastic sheet with m&p or heat the soap paste until melty rather than diluting it?

Can you use the plastic sheet with m&p or heat the soap paste until melty rather than diluting it?
Yup, that's exactly what I was planning to do next:cool:
But I didn't think of heating the soap paste. That's a great idea!:thumbs: (no ls experience yet, but this is a great excuse to start!)

6. KimT2au
15. Steve85569 - I may actually post an attempt...

6. KimT2au
15. Steve85569 - I may actually post an attempt...
16. Artemis - Well, I made one, I guess I'd better sign up!

@szaza My latest attempts have been with home-made rice paper (like you, I found the shop bought ones too thick and insoluable for the purpose). I'll see if I can get some decent photo's up for you to check out.

@Arimara The competition is open until the 28th, so if you can squeeze in a competition entry, we'd love to see your ideas!

@szaza My latest attempts have been with home-made rice paper (like you, I found the shop bought ones too thick and insoluable for the purpose). I'll see if I can get some decent photo's up for you to check out.

@Arimara The competition is open until the 28th, so if you can squeeze in a competition entry, we'd love to see your ideas!
When will the entry thread be posted?

The Entry Thead is now Open!

If you have completed your entry and are ready to show off your creation, please enter your photo and a description of your Travel Soap in this thread:
Travel Soap Entry Thread

All comments, discussions (and competitor compliments :D) and non-entry photo's can be posted here ... even if you aren't in the challenge, you are more than welcome to post your photo's here :)

For those of you who need a little more time, the Travel Soap challenge will be open for entry right up until the last day of the challenge (the 28th October), so there's still time to join in and make your Travel Soap!

Thank you to everyone participating! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back