SMF Challenge October 2023: Ciaglia/Plain Straight Line

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
October 2023 SMF Challenge: Ciaglia & Plain with a Straight Line

Welcome to the October 2023 SMF Challenge, where this month’s theme follows on from lots of recent discussion - CIAGLIA! But wait, there's a catch - it has to be a two-part soap, with both ciaglia and plain parts. And what's more - you need to have a straight line between them. Please read more below for specific challenge instructions.

SMF Challenge General Rules
  • To enter, you must have been an active SMF member for at least one month and have a minimum of 50 posts at the time the Challenge is posted. “Fluff” posts written with the sole intention of boosting post numbers do not apply. Sorry, there are no exceptions to this rule, except that the time and post requirements are removed for (do not apply to) Supporting Members. All eligible members may sign up and submit an entry at any time before the entry thread closes.
  • Your soap must be made after the monthly challenge has been announced. Your entry must consist of bars made from a single batch of soap poured into one mold. In other words, your entry cannot include bars from different batches.
  • The sign-up list will be posted in this thread. Please add your name to the sign-up list if you’d like to participate. You don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have made. Still, we hope you will post about your experiences here in the main Challenge thread, along with non-entry photos (be prepared to be encouraged to keep trying).
  • In the spirit of advancing our soap making skills, all members who sign-up for the SMF Challenge do so with the expectation that they will make every attempt to submit an entry. We do understand that life happens, and that you may end up without an entry. However, signing up with no intent to participate and only to vote goes against the spirit of the challenge and is not allowed.
  • Throughout the month, we encourage you to use this general Challenge thread (not the Entry thread) to ask for advice, discuss techniques with other members, upload pictures of your non-entry challenge attempts, and provide helpful hints you learned along the way. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please keep your comments polite.
  • A separate Entry thread will be created towards the end of the month. Please do not post photos of your entry until the Entry thread is opened. Breaking this rule will disqualify that soap from this Challenge. The Entry thread is for challenge entries only; please don't post any comments there.
  • Your entry photo must include at least three bars of soap from your entry batch. We encourage (but do not require) you to include in your entry post a description and additional photos demonstrating how you made your soap: the process, the technique, the fragrance, any special meaning behind your selected colors or design, etc. This gives voters a better understanding of, and appreciation for, what went into creating your soap.
  • Entries must be posted to the Entry thread (not to this general Challenge thread) before the closing time on the closing date. Late entries will not be accepted. If you miss the Challenge deadline, please upload pictures of your soap to the general Challenge thread instead. While it won’t be part of the voting, we always love to see anything you have created!
  • There is no prize attached to this Challenge. However, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed non-compliant, you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry if there is time to do so before the Entry thread closes. Otherwise, your entry will be excluded from voting. The challenge mods have the final say as to whether any given soap, photo, or registrant is eligible for entry and voting.
  • All eligible registrants who have signed up before the Entry thread closes will be eligible to vote, even if they do not submit an entry. A password-protected voting link and password will be sent to eligible registrants only, by private message via SMF conversations. Please check your SMF messages/conversations when the voting begins.
  • Note: all times listed below are Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). It is your responsibility to convert times to your own time zone. You can use World Time Buddy or a similar time converter.

* The entry thread will open on October 24, 2023 by 11:59 PM GMT.
    * The entry thread will close on October 28, 2023 at 11:59 PM GMT.
    * The voting survey link and password will be emailed to all registered participants shortly thereafter.
    * The voting survey will remain open until October 30, 2023 at 11:59 PM GMT, or until all registrants have voted, whichever is sooner.
    * The winner will be announced no later than October 31, 2023 by 11:59 PM GMT.

****************************************************************************************
Specific Rules for this Challenge

The soap can be made using CP or HP or a combination of both (not sure if you can make ciaglia soap using HP - but if it's possible, then go for it).

The soap must be made in two parts: one ciaglia and one plain. Either or both parts can be coloured if desired. You may choose to make the two parts in the same soap-making session, or at separate times/days.

There must be a straight line dividing the ciaglia and plain soap. Not a wobbly line - a straight line. How you choose to make it straight is up to you, and where you choose to put your straight line is also up to you - it could be near the top, it could be straight down the middle vertically (or horizontally), it could be diagonal, it could be down one side of the soap. The only rule is that on one side it must be plain soap (no ciaglia, no swirls, no embeds or embellishments within the soap of any kind) and on the other side of the line it must be ciaglia.

You may use a mica or other powder line between the layers if you choose, and you can decorate the tops however you choose.

Since I couldn't find an image anywhere of an example of ciaglia and plain with a straight line, I found a few ALMOST images to give some ideas:

1. Mobjack's sea shore uses ciaglia - and an almost straight line, BUT there are more than two parts, and there is no plain layer:
Mobjack1.jpg

2. Dibbles' has the perfect combo of one part each of ciaglia and plain, plus a straight line, BUT there's a swirl in the plain part (not allowed for this challenge):
Dibbles.jpg

3. VickiC's soap is a good example of ciaglia, but it has no plain, and no dividing straight line:
VickiC.jpg

All the above soaps are undoubtedly gorgeous in their own right, but please don't make any of these for the challenge. I have today made a soap that meets the rules for this challenge, but it's not cut yet. I will post it here as soon as i cut it.

ETA:
Here you go - I just cut it this morning:
IMG_6655.jpgIMG_6656.jpg

Here's a youtube video of how to make a layered ciaglia soap ( but please note that it also would not meet the challenge rules because BOTH parts are ciaglia):

I look forward to seeing what you all create! Ready, set, GO!

Last edited:
Sign-up List for SMF October 2023 Challenge: Ciaglia/Plain with straight line. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next sign-up:

OOOOOOOOOOOOH I'm super tempted to make my first entry attempt with this one! We are traveling quite a bit in October and I don't know *for sure* that I'll have the time. I also know everyone here makes really great soap and I have no hope of winning. All that being stated...do I otherwise qualify and may I throw my proverbial hat in the ring?

I also know everyone here makes really great soap and I have no hope of winning.
Awww don't say that! Entering a challenge isn't only - or even mostly! - about winning. It is about trying new techniques while collaborating with your SMF friends to improve everyone's soap-making skills!

Take a look at some of my early challenge posts - some were funny, others were, well, funny-sad. 😆 I've also had a few (very few) times when the perfect soapmaking session happened, and I ended up with a soap that was better than my norm. Sure it was fun to place in the top three, but for me, the best part about challenges is making soap and talking soap with my soapy friends here on SMF!! You all "get" me!!

do I otherwise qualify and may I throw my proverbial hat in the ring?
You are a supporting member so you can join any challenge, any time!

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOOOOOH I'm super tempted to make my first entry attempt with this one! We are traveling quite a bit in October and I don't know *for sure* that I'll have the time. I also know everyone here makes really great soap and I have no hope of winning. All that being stated...do I otherwise qualify and may I throw my proverbial hat in the ring?
It only takes an afternoon to make soap start-to-finish, then cut it another day in the future. Surely you have two partial days to spare? :nodding:

You should totally enter! I made a deal with myself earlier this year to enter challenges each month to build my skills. The challenges have definitely helped my skills and now I will have plenty of soap for Christmas gifts. 😊

Sign-up List for SMF October 2023 Challenge: Ciaglia/Plain with straight line. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next sign-up:

1. ScentimentallyYours
2. Tammyfarms

1. ScentimentallyYours
2. Tammyfarms
3.dmcgee5034 - let’s get straight and scrappy 🌸

Last edited:

1. ScentimentallyYours
2. Tammyfarms
4. Ford

1. ScentimentallyYours
2. Tammyfarms
4. Ford
5. MomInWA 😁

@MomInWA. I would just like to add you should totally sign up everybody is right about the fact that even if you don't win it totally teaches you alot and you can progress even further with your experience. The only reason I have become as good as I am is from entering the Challenges every month and now I feel confident to be able to control my trace and I have learned so much. I have only been soap making for one year and I started doing the challenges I think last Jan or Feb and I have placed twice in the top 3 recently. Plus it's so fun and exciting every month when they post the knew challenge to learn these new techniques. It's so nice to have as many people as we can get, to sign up the more the merrier plus it's so fun to see everyones soaps every month. I'm so glad you signed up you will love it.

@MomInWA. I would just like to add you should totally sign up everybody is right about the fact that even if you don't win it totally teaches you alot and you can progress even further with your experience. The only reason I have become as good as I am is from entering the Challenges every month and now I feel confident to be able to control my trace and I have learned so much. I have only been soap making for one year and I started doing the challenges I think last Jan or Feb and I have placed twice in the top 3 recently. Plus it's so fun and exciting every month when they post the knew challenge to learn these new techniques. It's so nice to have as many people as we can get, to sign up the more the merrier plus it's so fun to see everyones soaps every month. I'm so glad you signed up you will love it.
Thank you! I can be a little bashful and perfectionist. I appreciate your support. I wish I wasn’t traveling so much this month so I could really play around with it. But I’m okay with whatever happens. I do love to try new techniques! And it’s fun to participate. ☺️

I recently rebatched some bars I didn’t like at all. I have been looking for a salad shooter to make grating easier and hasn’t found one closer than an hour away (downside of living in a remote area). When I needed to rebatch I pulled out my pampered chef grater, which is like a salad master grater, and it worked well. Still had a few larger chunks that would need to be chopped by hand or removed for this technique but it was much easier and faster than using a tall square grater. These are the two types I am referring to, not sure my descriptions are clear without pictures.
1696779594778.png

I recently rebatched some bars I didn’t like at all. I have been looking for a salad shooter to make grating easier and hasn’t found one closer than an hour away (downside of living in a remote area). When I needed to rebatch I pulled out my pampered chef grater, which is like a salad master grater, and it worked well. Still had a few larger chunks that would need to be chopped by hand or removed for this technique but it was much easier and faster than using a tall square grater. These are the two types I am referring to, not sure my descriptions are clear without pictures.
View attachment 74757
Oooooooo!! Salad shooter! 😍 brilliant!

Latest posts

Back