SMF December Challenge- high and low water batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem is I have to fight to get the time and energy to make the darn soap! I really want to -- I'd love to have made 3 or 4 batches by now. In fact I even had a dream about making soap for this challenge the other night. That's pretty amazing because I seldom remember my dreams. But I'm so hugely busy and anxious about work right now. My husband forced me to take the afternoon off to get a massage, which was good, but now I'm back to fretting again. I'm hoping Sunday will be My Day to Soap.

You have a good husband Dee. I'm glad he is looking out for you.

I'm super busy at work too, but things should get easier in about a week. The entry thread will be open by then. If the desire to figure this challenge out doesn't drive me mad by then, maybe the deadline will.

I hate to think of anyone fretting about a challenge! It's supposed to be fun but I do know what you mean about it.

Re: using carrots or a vegetable puree, I was hoping someone would try something like that or use oils infused with carious colorants to see what happens. I have to assume there would be the same effect because it's dependent on water content not the colorant, and even completely uncolored soap will show a difference between the two batters. I am wondering what would happen if someone used sugars in their soaps and what difference there might be as well; gel should be hotter so would that lead to less of a contrast, because the low water part would be more likely to gel? And if both parts gel, if there is still a contrast, would it be less apparent over time with cure and loss of water weight?

The entry thread will not close until Dec 24th and hopefully there will be a calm night for some fun soaping before then for people. It's too stressful, it's definitely not worth it because then the challenges will be more nerve wracking than enjoyable. The technique will wait for you!

Last edited:
Oh, at least for me, the stress is about my work and about NOT being able to soap. I'm looking forward to making it. :)

I am wondering what would happen if someone used sugars in their soaps and what difference there might be as well; gel should be hotter so would that lead to less of a contrast, because the low water part would be more likely to gel? And if both parts gel, if there is still a contrast, would it be less apparent over time with cure and loss of water weight?

I don't know if this helps but I have made Castile soap (100% OO) and it is lighter than when I add honey and that is lighter than gelled plain Castile (100% OO).

When I add 1 TBS of honey per 2 pounds of oil and get it to gel it is even darker.

The contrast is the same now, after 3 months, as it was after about a week's cure.

Last edited:
A little stress from a soap challenge is good... a lot of stress from work isn't. Big diff between the two.

I slipped in a batch today while our guests are investigating a business opportunity. They'll get to see the cut. Between that and their showers this morning, we'll see what they think of handmade soap. They were piqued by the bars in the bathroom last night.

My bout today was less than ideal. speaks softly: I managed to accelerate. more confidently now: But I spun it so hopefully that will give a decent amount of movement. We shall see.

Hey newbie, speaking of vacation dreams, how is yours going?? We want pics and stories!

Posted pics on Facebook and even talked to you in the posts, Cara!! It was so reminiscent of Alaska that I thought of you very often. You must not be on FB much. I have to get my real camera pics dowloaded from my camera and then I'll post a few.

Low water tends to keep itself very distinct and sharply defined from other colors, or at least that's been my experience. If it was very thin and you swirled the pants off it, no guarantee but if you had some restraint, the low water can be very sharp and crisp.

Latest posts

Back