Fragrance Oil Testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!!
I have a ton of fragrance oils to test. I make hp, but for the purposes of testing scent (and the sake of ingredients/time), does anyone think that I can using melt & pour? Or will the scent be different them when I make my hp and therefore not a good representation of the scent? I hope that made sense 😁. Thank you all for your always appreciated help and comments.

Scents in melt and pour can smell differently. I have some scents that are wonderful in melt & pour and not so great in my CP soap.

I don't know if it's a great idea to test in MP for FOs you'd use in HP but don't really know because I have never made HP. Because MP is already fully saponified, you don't have to worry about lye eating the fragrance. I think saponification mostly takes place during the make in HP (rather than in the mold, as with CP), but I had the impression that part of the process continued for some period of time afterwards. I know that people recommend doing HP with certain FOs/additives/fats to maximize retention and have wondered how much more is retained than in CP. Maybe @AliOop will comment, she does/has done all three.

Back