Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok my gripe today is soap related. I just made 28lbs of soap, did lovely pours, decorated tops, embeds and everything and realized after I was cleaning up that I'm a dagblamed idiot who apparently needs to learn to add. I master batched the lye water for all 28lbs of soap but when I was dividing it up I just thought about how much lye to use per batch and didn't include the liquid so my divided portions got messed up with some too lye heavy and some too lye light. So I've just screwed up so much soap and wasted a whole night of shaping. I could just scream.
Ok I'm much calmer. I chopped up the first mold and got it on the stove. I cooked it down and stirred it all together and added a few tablespoons of brilliant blue and added an apple fragrance to help boost what I cooked off. It's now a kind of midnight blue with grey so I'm going to call it troubled waters.

Working on the second one now. Hopefully I can fix it too.

I have two gripes. Covid related.

I had a covid patient that two nurses brought down. After they left, I had to clean the room, finish up my imaging and paperwork....took about 20 minutes. I left to go down to the er scanner where we normally work.

THIS PATIENT was in the hall, between labor and delivery and the elevators, laying in his bed by himself. Nurses come running down the hall from the coffee shop. They just left a COVID patient sitting in the hall while they ordered coffee/food or whatever they got, for 20 minutes!!!!

Just to be sure, I'm like "hey, you guys just leave CT Scan?" They are giggling like "yeah, Hi again!" I says its not funny, you just exposed every person that got on the elevator and all the people walking in and out of L&D. I wrote an incident report. You can't fix stupid....

Second gripe. I had another covid patient. Asymptomatic, and refuses to wear his mask. Basically not sick, but positive. I am like PUT YOUR MASK ON!! He says...do you know how uncomfortable it is to wear this mask? As I am standing there with two masks on, a face shield, goggles, and basically a trash bag that is sticking to my skin because I am sweating pushing his fat ass down the hall in a stretcher. My ears and nose have sores. Gee sir, I have no clue how uncomfortable you are. GRRRR....

I have two gripes. Covid related.

I had a covid patient that two nurses brought down. After they left, I had to clean the room, finish up my imaging and paperwork....took about 20 minutes. I left to go down to the er scanner where we normally work.

THIS PATIENT was in the hall, between labor and delivery and the elevators, laying in his bed by himself. Nurses come running down the hall from the coffee shop. They just left a COVID patient sitting in the hall while they ordered coffee/food or whatever they got, for 20 minutes!!!!

Just to be sure, I'm like "hey, you guys just leave CT Scan?" They are giggling like "yeah, Hi again!" I says its not funny, you just exposed every person that got on the elevator and all the people walking in and out of L&D. I wrote an incident report. You can't fix stupid....

Second gripe. I had another covid patient. Asymptomatic, and refuses to wear his mask. Basically not sick, but positive. I am like PUT YOUR MASK ON!! He says...do you know how uncomfortable it is to wear this mask? As I am standing there with two masks on, a face shield, goggles, and basically a trash bag that is sticking to my skin because I am sweating pushing his fat ass down the hall in a stretcher. My ears and nose have sores. Gee sir, I have no clue how uncomfortable you are. GRRRR....
Oh, how completely aggravating. I’m sorry. My mom is in the hospital in Florida after an emergency surgery to remove a bowel obstruction, they had to take out a 1-foot section. She’s 96. I’m so worried about COVID being in the air there although she has had her first shot, had to travel 100 miles to get it but she did.
I’m glad you filed that incident report. Good to know there are people like you, thank you.

I wish I could have a pet but money aside I have several reasons for NOT owning one. Sometimes I can't walk and most times, I can't speak well. That rules out dogs that I could stand to be around (I'm allergic to dogs). My family tends to hate cats and my daughter and sister are both allergic to at least the long haired varieties. So, I guess I should scour the interwebs for a nice rock, paint it, and call it bob.

I wish I could have a pet but money aside I have several reasons for NOT owning one. Sometimes I can't walk and most times, I can't speak well. That rules out dogs that I could stand to be around (I'm allergic to dogs). My family tends to hate cats and my daughter and sister are both allergic to at least the long haired varieties. So, I guess I should scour the interwebs for a nice rock, paint it, and call it bob.
My sister's husband died then her cat died and she bought a dog to keep her company. I told her a puppy was like a baby and a kitten is like a teenager. After she'd had the puppy for 4 weeks she admitted I was right, admitted she wasn't a dog person and gave it away.
She feels free again. She can go out when she wants to and go away when she wants to.

One of our "baby" techs put in her notice to go work a cushy 9-5, no nights, no weekends, no holidays job at a smaller hospital...or at least she is painting the grass as being greener on the other side LOL.

I keep telling my boss...you keep giving these kids this opportunity right out of xray school, they stay a year, get their experience...whine a lot, and get a nice notch on their resume coming from a prominent hospital, and then leave. This is the fourth one in 2 years. We are constantly looking for techs, and it's frustrating because we always have to teach them, instead of holding out for somebody more experienced who understands: this is a hard hospital to work at!! Or, pull a tech that already works there who wants to cross-train.

We already had two positions open...one full time, and one per diem. This kid said she wanted to stay on per diem, instead of just leaving. I told my boss...do not do it. She is going to take up a spot where we need an actual per diem. She is not going to give us hours. Sure as rain, this month's schedule came out and she isn't on it, but one Sunday afternoon at the end of the month 11a-7p. And she made demands..no overnights, no late nights (3-11p), and no holidays.

I have another conversation with my supervisor...I will take that shift that she picked up (how nice of her knowing how short staffed we are), don't offer her anything next month. You don't even have to "fire" her: HR will just send her a letter saying that she didn't work enough shifts to keep her per diem status. She says she can't do that and would feel guilty. I WOULDN'T.

Now that my partner is out on leave for COVID, my boss calls this girl to help out over this weekend and she will move everybody elses schedules around so that we can get it all covered. We are desperate. She said no, this is her first weekend off and she was going to enjoy it. Believe me now Karen?? She is taking up a valuable spot!! Suck it up and let her go.

Today is day 6 of 6 for me, then I am off tomorrow, work Sunday 8 hours 11a-7p, Monday 16 hours (3p monday-7a tuesday), back in on Tuesday at 3p after a nap... then 3-11 wed, thurs, friday...Saturday overnight, then Mon-Friday 3-11. I don't have a day off for the next two weeks after tomorrow. Then that next saturday off and start it all over again.

I called her personally...can you PLEASE take Sunday from me? Easy peasy 11a-7p. Nope. Can you work next Saturday overnight? "I already told her that I am not doing overnights anymore".

I'm not the only one...we are all working this crazy schedule.

One of our trauma nurses lives 2 minutes from me (we live an hour away from work). I was like "I'll race you home...stop by and have a beer." I got home and sat down...heck no I ain't having anybody over tonight LOL. My feet and legs hurt so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to do some light straightening up to have her over LOL. I'm too worked up to go to sleep, and too tired to move from my chair. I have clean soapy dishes all over the kitchen. I don't have the motivation to either put them away, or to make soap.

My sister's husband died then her cat died and she bought a dog to keep her company. I told her a puppy was like a baby and a kitten is like a teenager. After she'd had the puppy for 4 weeks she admitted I was right, admitted she wasn't a dog person and gave it away.
She feels free again. She can go out when she wants to and go away when she wants to.
That's why I'm more cat person but I tend to like the older kitties.

I like kitties. I have never not had a cat. Kittens are fun. They are pretty self-sufficient and entertain themselves LOL. My cat is 5, my other cat died last october, she was 12...she was the love of my life.

I am looking to get another kitten. I think that is the only cat addition that my other cat will tolerate. If I bring an older cat in, i think there would be a problem.

I have a dog that I adopted a little over a year ago. She's an old girl of 13 or 14. Soooo, I want to get a puppy in hopes that she will take on some of the puppy training LOL. This is a real thing! I thought I made that up, but after talking to people, and looking it up online, adult female dogs will definitely train a new puppy. I'm not being lazy, I just want a dog as good as Abby!!

Last edited:
My gripe is this: I somehow in my sleep pulled a muscle in the back of my arm/shoulder and this morning couldn't even pick the dog's food dish up off the floor without agonizing pain. I always have hip and knee pain too, esp at night. WHY are my body mechanics so off?! (Rhetorical question!) argh!

My gripe is this: I somehow in my sleep pulled a muscle in the back of my arm/shoulder and this morning couldn't even pick the dog's food dish up off the floor without agonizing pain. I always have hip and knee pain too, esp at night. WHY are my body mechanics so off?! (Rhetorical question!) argh!
Is it between your spine and shoulder blade? I always get a knot there. My friend gave me advice from his chiropractor...roll your shoulder front to back and hold it and squeeze your back muscle. Do a few reps (i did 10). It hurt!! The next day it was completely fine. Somehow releases the lactic acid.

Is it between your spine and shoulder blade? I always get a knot there. My friend gave me advice from his chiropractor...roll your shoulder front to back and hold it and squeeze your back muscle. Do a few reps (i did 10). It hurt!! The next day it was completely fine. Somehow releases the lactic acid.

No, it's inside the back of my shoulder joint and the pain runs down the back of my arm into the elbow. I think I must have pinched a nerve- I have arthritis is my shoulders and sleep on my sides so they are always hunched together.

No, it's inside the back of my shoulder joint and the pain runs down the back of my arm into the elbow. I think I must have pinched a nerve- I have arthritis is my shoulders and sleep on my sides so they are always hunched together.
Have you ever tried a TENS unit? Hubby bought one for my chronic back and neck problems, from minor scoliosis and various injuries, and it has really helped me during severe flare ups. I find I can often get relief in one night of sessions if I position myself so that I can feel a slight stretch to the problem area while using the TENS. Here's the one we have:
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Home-TENS-Muscle-Stimulator/dp/B00O9P2VLI

Have you ever tried a TENS unit? Hubby bought one for my chronic back and neck problems, from minor scoliosis and various injuries, and it has really helped me during severe flare ups. I find I can often get relief in one night of sessions if I position myself so that I can feel a slight stretch to the problem area while using the TENS. Here's the one we have:
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Home-TENS-Muscle-Stimulator/dp/B00O9P2VLI

No! I always had the idea a TENS unit was only for use in major injuries/recovery from major surgery. I had no idea they made little ones like this! I'd have no idea how to operate it/where to put the pads, but presumably it tells you in a manual? Thank you, I'll have to look into this further! I have a lot of chronic pain in my legs, esp my knees. I wonder if it would help?!

No! I always had the idea a TENS unit was only for use in major injuries/recovery from major surgery. I had no idea they made little ones like this! I'd have no idea how to operate it/where to put the pads, but presumably it tells you in a manual? Thank you, I'll have to look into this further! I have a lot of chronic pain in my legs, esp my knees. I wonder if it would help?!
Yes, ours came with a very good, though small, manual that explained very clearly where to place the pads and why. I suggested the TENS because you mentioned it's likely a pinched nerve. My old physical therapist explained it something like this: The TENS won't help the pinched nerve. What it does is help relax/release the muscles that tense up around, and because of, the pinched nerve. This in turn helps the pain and symptoms of the pinched nerve subside, which in turn helps your body return to its normal positioning, which in turn can help to correct the pinched nerve. Whew - he'd be so proud of me.

Honestly, I sort of figured you'd seen a Dr. in the past and that's why you knew what had happened. I feel like I should encourage you to see a doc if you've never seen one for your shoulder pain...but you seem the sort that would already know that! :)

Oh, this is the first time I've ever had this specific pain! I've had arthritis pain in my shoulders for years, but this just happened last night as I was sleeping! It feels a little better tonight but still hurts. For instance I was unable to reach the opposite armpit while showering tonight due to the nerve pain. However earlier today I couldn't even lift my arm to the steering wheel in my car and it has loosened enough for me to be able to make driving motions now!

ps- your explanation made perfect sense to me!! :)

The tens unit sounds like solid advice. In the meantime I will ask him what other exercises they recommend. He does karate, so he gets lots of advice. I was cursing him out over the shoulder roll thing, but the next day it was gone after having it for so long.

Betta fish?

Attachments

• 20210228_171711.jpg
    20210228_171711.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3
TENS has been very helpful for me in the past when recovering from a horse fall. We actually have two that we don’t use anymore, so if someone wants one, PM me.

One of our "baby" techs put in her notice to go work a cushy 9-5, no nights, no weekends, no holidays job at a smaller hospital...or at least she is painting the grass as being greener on the other side LOL.

I keep telling my boss...you keep giving these kids this opportunity right out of xray school, they stay a year, get their experience...whine a lot, and get a nice notch on their resume coming from a prominent hospital, and then leave. This is the fourth one in 2 years. We are constantly looking for techs, and it's frustrating because we always have to teach them, instead of holding out for somebody more experienced who understands: this is a hard hospital to work at!! Or, pull a tech that already works there who wants to cross-train.

We already had two positions open...one full time, and one per diem. This kid said she wanted to stay on per diem, instead of just leaving. I told my boss...do not do it. She is going to take up a spot where we need an actual per diem. She is not going to give us hours. Sure as rain, this month's schedule came out and she isn't on it, but one Sunday afternoon at the end of the month 11a-7p. And she made demands..no overnights, no late nights (3-11p), and no holidays.

I have another conversation with my supervisor...I will take that shift that she picked up (how nice of her knowing how short staffed we are), don't offer her anything next month. You don't even have to "fire" her: HR will just send her a letter saying that she didn't work enough shifts to keep her per diem status. She says she can't do that and would feel guilty. I WOULDN'T.

Now that my partner is out on leave for COVID, my boss calls this girl to help out over this weekend and she will move everybody elses schedules around so that we can get it all covered. We are desperate. She said no, this is her first weekend off and she was going to enjoy it. Believe me now Karen?? She is taking up a valuable spot!! Suck it up and let her go.

Today is day 6 of 6 for me, then I am off tomorrow, work Sunday 8 hours 11a-7p, Monday 16 hours (3p monday-7a tuesday), back in on Tuesday at 3p after a nap... then 3-11 wed, thurs, friday...Saturday overnight, then Mon-Friday 3-11. I don't have a day off for the next two weeks after tomorrow. Then that next saturday off and start it all over again.

I called her personally...can you PLEASE take Sunday from me? Easy peasy 11a-7p. Nope. Can you work next Saturday overnight? "I already told her that I am not doing overnights anymore".

I'm not the only one...we are all working this crazy schedule.

One of our trauma nurses lives 2 minutes from me (we live an hour away from work). I was like "I'll race you home...stop by and have a beer." I got home and sat down...heck no I ain't having anybody over tonight LOL. My feet and legs hurt so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to do some light straightening up to have her over LOL. I'm too worked up to go to sleep, and too tired to move from my chair. I have clean soapy dishes all over the kitchen. I don't have the motivation to either put them away, or to make soap.
That’s rough. Having spent a few days with my mom in the hospital in FL I got a taste of what it’s like being in a hospital during COVID, even if you aren’t directly involved with the disease. Hope you got a good night’s sleep.

Back