Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know lies and misinformation sells more things, but every once in a while I wonder how much business they lose from people who can no longer use their stuff because of aquired sensitivities. Not that we'll ever find out, I guess.
For every one they can't sell to anymore, there are three or four to take their place.

I flat out told one MLM guy I couldn't afford his oils. He looked a little offended at first until I explained to him that one of his little bottles isn't enough for one of my batches of soap and that if I used the amount I regularly do, my soaps would be so expensive no one would buy it. Thankfully, he got the message... and still gave me sample, which is still sitting on my desk, after two years.

For every one they can't sell to anymore, there are three or four to take their place.

I flat out told one MLM guy I couldn't afford his oils. He looked a little offended at first until I explained to him that one of his little bottles isn't enough for one of my batches of soap and that if I used the amount I regularly do, my soaps would be so expensive no one would buy it. Thankfully, he got the message... and still gave me sample, which is still sitting on my desk, after two years.
Not to mention that some of the EOs that the MLMers sell are not pure and sometimes have other carrier oils mixed in with them.

I'm sure people have posted this gripe but I'm so annoyed by the essential oil people. Not people who make essential oils but the ones that think essential oils are the end all and be all and insist that they can just use essential oils in EVERYTHING and then say that fragrance oils are bad and essential oils are better. People emailing or posting on my page that I need to only use essential oil in my soap or lotion because it's "natural". Ok well Hemlock is natural too but I'm not putting that in my soap. And no I won't put cinnamon EO in my lotion just because you saw a youtube video where they used it. And not I'm not putting real cinnamon in my soap. That's not safe and will burn the crap out of you! A family member sent me one of those 5 min craft videos where they make cinnamon roll soaps and wanted me to make her one and I refused because holy bat balls you don't put cinnamon in your soap woman! BUT she insists that it's fine because they put it in the video. AHHHHHHHHH

I do use some EOs, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary. But I'm very careful in how I use them and I just can't understand why people just think because it's natural that it's ok. Arsenic and Cyanide are natural! Plutonium is natural! Natural doesn't mean good for you!

Ok I'm done. For now...
I've heard this gripe and while I've never had it im sympathetically annoyed on your behalf.

I dont like being pushy and i dont like being pushed.

I stay all the way away from Facebook which is why I think I've missed a lot of the essential oil MLM craze.

I also tend to pre emptively avoid people who are involved in MLMs because I realize that they are in a situation where they have to hit a quota and I dont like the pressure.

My gripe...I just typed up a long anti YL essential oil post, and because there is a lot that I haven't figured out with my new computer...i accidentally deleted it, I guess with the touchpad, and don't know how to get it back LOL.

My synopsis: YL EO bad, YL trained EO "experts" worse.

@CatahoulaBubble PREACH IT! Had a friend over to make soap, and she spilled a fair amount of lavender EO while measuring it out (despite me showing her how to put the toothpick across the bottle mouth). To my horror, she immediately swiped it up with her hands and rubbed it all over her arms and face.

When I tried to explain that she could end up sensitizing herself and not able to use it anymore, she gently explained to me that lavender EO is "safe for everyone." :eek:

ETA: she is an MLM rep for one of the big two EO companies, the less obnoxious one IMO, but still so full of 💩.

🤦‍♀️

Christmas gift soap in a beautiful bowl along w / face towels to Mother In-Law making sure it arrives before Christmas. No reply from or acknowledgement she received it, moving forward to now February we spent the Day w/ her & she didn't acknowledge or mention her gift? I asked her if she received her Christmas Gift? her reply " Oh yeah I got it' thank you, but the scent didn't last long!". I'm thinking to self "Like Really? oh how rude on several accounts" Ugh!! Needless to say its been a struggle dealing w/ her for 44yrs. 🤨😉

Christmas gift soap in a beautiful bowl along w / face towels to Mother In-Law making sure it arrives before Christmas. No reply from or acknowledgement she received it, moving forward to now February we spent the Day w/ her & she didn't acknowledge or mention her gift? I asked her if she received her Christmas Gift? her reply " Oh yeah I got it' thank you, but the scent didn't last long!". I'm thinking to self "Like Really? oh how rude on several accounts" Ugh!! Needless to say its been a struggle dealing w/ her for 44yrs. 🤨😉

I know a few people like that! My D-I-L is one such person. She lives in BC - I am in Ontario and I sent quite a large selection of soaps back in Sept. - some dinosaur soaps for the youngest grandson and a variety of others including some for her and the men in the house. During my annual Christmas call with the family (read grandkids) I asked about the soap when I finally got verbal confirmation they received it. So I totally understand your struggle!

If someone can manage "thank you" for someone who opens the door for them, they can manage a "thank you" when someone sends hand crafted soap. I don't understand that at all, the words literally cost you nothing and they mean so much to the person who took the time to do something nice for you. I'm offended on everyone's behalf.

Up at 4am to catch 6am flight for business appointment. Traveling light bc I’m supposed to come home the same day.

The first flight is fine, 2 hour layover before the second flight to the city where the meeting is to take place. Then the wheels start to come off. One hour delay. Two hour delay. Finally board. Sit on the tarmac for 30minutes before take-off.

Get to destination, circle in the air for 30 minutes bc runways are icy. Not allowed to land, so back we fly to the other airport.

Stand in the mob waiting to be rebooked. Get a seat in coach although clients had paid for first class for me. Ok, I’m just glad to be going, even tho now I’ll be spending the night without any change of clothes, makeup, toothbrush. Clients graciously agree to meet me at 7:30pm, which would give me an hour to clean up after landing.

Hike to the next terminal for the new flight. Haven’t eaten since 10am, now it is 3pm - the time of my original flight back home. Agent assures me that later they will rebook me to come home tomorrow, .. oh, and don’t leave the gate area to get food bc we will board any minute. Used the time to book a hotel room, non-refundable due to late hour.

One hour later at 4pm, we actually board. Sit on tarmac for the next hour. Take off at 5pm. Halfway there at 5:30pm, they turn the plane around bc the target airport is now closed for arrivals due to wind shear. Bye-bye, hotel money.

The lady sitting behind me was on the way to her ski wedding and was remarkably cheerful. Alcohol may have played a part, or the fact that it will be her third marriage so she’s relaxed about it all. Lots of time to hear all about marriages 1 and 2. lol.

All around, strangers are becoming friends as they plan to rent cars and drive to the destination. At this point, my clients agreed I should just go home, so no car rental for me.

Deplane at 6:15. Eat my first food since 10am. Attempt to call airlines to rebook my return flight home (which they canceled bc I did not catch the first leg of the return). Can’t get through due to call volume. Book online where I have to PAY for ANOTHER TICKET home, which does not leave for two hours.

Chat with husband, answer some work emails, see a nice email from Delta that they’ve credited me with 15k miles ... and then look up to see that my flight is now delayed, and I won’t be home till 1am. Or so they say.

if you never hear from me again on this forum, check for news stories about mummified human remains found in the SLC airport.

Last edited:
Up at 4am to catch 6am flight for business appointment. Traveling light bc I’m supposed to come home the same day.

The first flight is fine, 2 hour layover beforethe second flight to the city where the meeting is to take place. Then the wheels start to come off. One hour delay. Two hour delay. Finally board. Sit on the tarmac for 30minutes before take-off.

Get to destination, circle in the air for 30 minutes bc runways are icy. Not allowed to land, so back we fly to the other airport.

Stand in the mob waiting to be rebooked. Get a seat in coach although clients had paid for first class for me. Ok, I’m just glad to be going, even tho now I’ll be spending the night without any change of clothes, makeup, toothbrush. Clients graciously agree to me me at 7:30pm, which would give me an hour to clean up after landing.

Hike to the next terminal for the new flight. Haven’t eaten since 10am, now it is 3pm - the time of my original flight back home. Agent assures me that later they will rebook me to come home tomorrow, .. oh, and don’t leave the gate area to get food bc we will board any minute. Used the time to book a hotel room, non-refundable due to late hour.

One hour later at 4pm, we actually board. Sit on tarmac for the next hour. Take off at 5pm. Halfway there at 5:30pm, they turn the plane around bc the target airport is now closed for arrivals due to wind shear. Bye-bye, hotel money.

The lady sitting behind me was on the way to her ski wedding and was. remarkably cheerful. Alcohol may have played a part, or the fact that it will be her third marriage so she’s relaxed about it all. Lots of time to hear all about marriages 1 and 2.

All around, strangers are becoming friends as they plan to rent cars and drive to the destination. At this point, my clients agreed I should just go home, so no car rental for me.

Deplane at 6:15. Eat my first food since 10am. Attempt to call airlines to rebook my return flight home (which they canceled bc I did not catch the first leg of the return). Can’t get through due to call volume. Book and pay for ANOTHER TICKET home, which does not leave for two hours.

Chat with husband, answer some work emails, see a nice email from
delta that they’ve credited me with 15k miles ... and then look up to see that my flight is now delayed, and I won’t be home till 1am. Or so they say.

if you never hear from me again on this forum, check for news stories about mummified human remains found in the SLC airport.
My boring, uneventful day suddenly seems to be quite nice. Sorry for all the trouble you had.

As my dear mother-in-law would say, "Awoh Naoooooo!" I'm so sorry. I've had business trips like that and...ugh. Praying for you!

The first flight is fine, 2 hour layover beforethe second flight to the city where the meeting is to take place. Then the wheels start to come off. One hour delay. Two hour delay. Finally board. Sit on the tarmac for 30minutes before take-off.

Stand in the mob waiting to be rebooked. Get a seat in coach although clients had paid for first class for me. Ok, I’m just glad to be going, even tho now I’ll be spending the night without any change of clothes, makeup, toothbrush. Clients graciously agree to me me at 7:30pm, which would give me an hour to clean up after landing.

The lady sitting behind me was on the way to her ski wedding and was. remarkably cheerful. Alcohol may have played a part, or the fact that it will be her third marriage so she’s relaxed about it all. Lots of time to hear all about marriages 1 and 2.

Deplane at 6:15. Eat my first food since 10am. Attempt to call airlines to rebook my return flight home (which they canceled bc I did not catch the first leg of the return). Can’t get through due to call volume. Book and pay for ANOTHER TICKET home, which does not leave for two hours.

delta that they’ve credited me with 15k miles ... and then look up to see that my flight is now delayed, and I won’t be home till 1am. Or so they say.

That reminds me of my trip to BC to visit my son! Both coming and going were nightmares which would take far too long to tell. I haven't been on a plane since then (4 years ago)!

Now is the best time of the year for sowing* chili peppers. If I only could find those darn seeds!!!! Everything is prepared, but that bag with the Jalapeño seeds that I got last year (they didn't like it when I started in mid-February, and I want to give them another chance) has disappeared from the face of the earth… grrrr… He who keeps order is just too lazy to spend his time searching…

*Yes, I only today learned that the English language can't afford separate words for “seedling cultivation” and female pig”.

Well, I think not finding those seeds is a good excuse to buy some new ones! And yes, English isn't very creative with words, unlike German where cool words abound! (backpfeifengesicht is my favorite!)

I'm sure people have posted this gripe but I'm so annoyed by the essential oil people. Not people who make essential oils but the ones that think essential oils are the end all and be all and insist that they can just use essential oils in EVERYTHING and then say that fragrance oils are bad and essential oils are better. People emailing or posting on my page that I need to only use essential oil in my soap or lotion because it's "natural". Ok well Hemlock is natural too but I'm not putting that in my soap. And no I won't put cinnamon EO in my lotion just because you saw a youtube video where they used it. And not I'm not putting real cinnamon in my soap. That's not safe and will burn the crap out of you! A family member sent me one of those 5 min craft videos where they make cinnamon roll soaps and wanted me to make her one and I refused because holy bat balls you don't put cinnamon in your soap woman! BUT she insists that it's fine because they put it in the video. AHHHHHHHHH

I do use some EOs, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary. But I'm very careful in how I use them and I just can't understand why people just think because it's natural that it's ok. Arsenic and Cyanide are natural! Plutonium is natural! Natural doesn't mean good for you!

Ok I'm done. For now...

I have two stories about EOs. One is this: I work at a Veterinary Clinic. You wouldn't believe the amount of people shocked when told their dog has fleas despite being drenched in EOs.

The second is this: I was an intern at a big horse training farm. This lady was a "trainer". She had a client's horse and was directly pouring EOs down his back-from his mane to his tail. Immediately his hair and skin started to raise. I, being concerned, asked her about it. She told me that those bumps were the toxins leaving his body. Well, a couple days later this poor horse's skin started to slough off where the EO was put. He was out of training for a month to heal. And to compound the issue, because said "trainer" used the same saddle pad for three horses--the other two horses ended up with welts and sloughing on their skin! (they were body clipped so the skin was exposed much easier--I think if they had their normal winter coat, they would have had less of a reaction!) What a nightmare!

You are incredibly brave! I got a laugh about the "mummified human remains".

Made it home and crawled into bed at 1am. Feel remarkably better after sleep - not to mention, having the blasted mask off my face and shoes off my feet, and no airport din blaring from all sides.

Thanks for the prayers and well-wishes, everyone, I so appreciate y'all! Emailed with clients and agreed that in a few weeks, I'll just drive to their place, which is about 5.5 hours from me. At this point, navigating some snowy roads in our trusty 4WD sounds way more fun than anything the airlines have to offer.

Why am I such a @#$$& slob!

(decided to deep clean the bedroom today. I am gross and the litter box in the corner doesn’t help)

Latest posts

Back