Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a few people like that! My D-I-L is one such person. She lives in BC - I am in Ontario and I sent quite a large selection of soaps back in Sept. - some dinosaur soaps for the youngest grandson and a variety of others including some for her and the men in the house. During my annual Christmas call with the family (read grandkids) I asked about the soap when I finally got verbal confirmation they received it. So I totally understand your struggle!
I am sorry and I might get my head bitten off for saying this, but, here goes. My mother-in-law just didn't like me, okay with me, but I tried really hard. Whenever we traveled out of the States I always remembered to get something for their house or for each of them. Never an acknowledgment or a Thank you. Finally, I just started sending cards. Step-daughter's and son-in-law plus kids, never ever a thank you, I would have to ask if they received the gift cards, oh yeah they got them. An heirloom christening gown I made for the first one, never a thank you, and every time I saw it, It was always thrown on the floor of their bedroom closet. I made a lot of $ making those gowns and let me tell you they are not inexpensive and they take a boatload of time to make. Everyone was oohing and ahhing except for the recipients. The straw that broke the camels back was, I asked each child to draw a small picture and I had the size pre-formated out for them, they actually drew the pictures, I then took their designs & transferred them to specialty paper, then weeded out the designs transferred them to crystal Christmas ornaments then sandblasted the ornaments, polished them and put the bail on and the ribbon. It was time-consuming but it was a tradition that each year until grandkids turn18 we give them ornaments, it was getting close to the last ornament for the eldest of this family so I thought it would be special. I was wrong, Grandpa was furious and finally called his daughter and had a come to Jesus meeting with her. I did get thank-yous, but it was a month later. I just started sending cards after that, no money, nothing. If nobody can say thank you, then the gift must not be appreciated and I will not waste my time or money on the recipient. I did it for 23 years for my in-laws and 17 for his stepdaughter, have not done it since, and have no regrets. My husband was in full agreement with me so that was a big help. Actually, he didn't like his mom very much either. His dad was great, but she ruled the roost.

My gripe is this weather! It is -15F this morning and this brutal cold it supposed to stay with us all week.
I worry so much for the birds and animals. They do ok when it is a day or two but a whole week of it takes a big toll on the wildlife. 😿

I am sorry and I might get my head bitten off for saying this, but, here goes. My mother-in-law just didn't like me, okay with me, but I tried really hard. Whenever we traveled out of the States I always remembered to get something for their house or for each of them. Never an acknowledgment or a Thank you. Finally, I just started sending cards. Step-daughter's and son-in-law plus kids, never ever a thank you, I would have to ask if they received the gift cards, oh yeah they got them. An heirloom christening gown I made for the first one, never a thank you, and every time I saw it, It was always thrown on the floor of their bedroom closet. I made a lot of $ making those gowns and let me tell you they are not inexpensive and they take a boatload of time to make. Everyone was oohing and ahhing except for the recipients. The straw that broke the camels back was, I asked each child to draw a small picture and I had the size pre-formated out for them, they actually drew the pictures, I then took their designs & transferred them to specialty paper, then weeded out the designs transferred them to crystal Christmas ornaments then sandblasted the ornaments, polished them and put the bail on and the ribbon. It was time-consuming but it was a tradition that each year until grandkids turn18 we give them ornaments, it was getting close to the last ornament for the eldest of this family so I thought it would be special. I was wrong, Grandpa was furious and finally called his daughter and had a come to Jesus meeting with her. I did get thank-yous, but it was a month later. I just started sending cards after that, no money, nothing. If nobody can say thank you, then the gift must not be appreciated and I will not waste my time or money on the recipient. I did it for 23 years for my in-laws and 17 for his stepdaughter, have not done it since, and have no regrets. My husband was in full agreement with me so that was a big help. Actually, he didn't like his mom very much either. His dad was great, but she ruled the roost.

My husband's parents were that way with me... fortunately they were in BC and I in Ontario... saw them in person only a couple of times with no contact in between. My d-i-l (I believe) is bipolar but that is something she never was able to entertain even from the perspective of talking to a doctor about it.
Anyway, it is what it is and that's ok... holding on to resentment can make a person sick and I refuse to walk down that road. I miss my grandsons though but d-i-l or not, the distance is the biggest challenge.

Well, I think not finding those seeds is a good excuse to buy some new ones! And yes, English isn't very creative with words, unlike German where cool words abound! (backpfeifengesicht is my favorite!)

I have two stories about EOs. One is this: I work at a Veterinary Clinic. You wouldn't believe the amount of people shocked when told their dog has fleas despite being drenched in EOs.

The second is this: I was an intern at a big horse training farm. This lady was a "trainer". She had a client's horse and was directly pouring EOs down his back-from his mane to his tail. Immediately his hair and skin started to raise. I, being concerned, asked her about it. She told me that those bumps were the toxins leaving his body. Well, a couple days later this poor horse's skin started to slough off where the EO was put. He was out of training for a month to heal. And to compound the issue, because said "trainer" used the same saddle pad for three horses--the other two horses ended up with welts and sloughing on their skin! (they were body clipped so the skin was exposed much easier--I think if they had their normal winter coat, they would have had less of a reaction!) What a nightmare!

You are incredibly brave! I got a laugh about the "mummified human remains".
My neighbor almost killed her cat by using EOs. She was constantly using her humidifier diffuser thing and was poisoning her cat. She called me because her cat was stumbling around and unable to focus on anything and vomiting. I told her she was poisoning her cat with EOs and he needed a vet asap and she said "EOs aren't poison, they are good for him". I had to call her vet and have him tell her she was killing her cat.

My roof is being replaced, and the guys not only removed my satellite dish (directv), but left it hanging off the side of the house. It does not work anymore. My friend came over to reinstall it, and there is no signal, period. If it was just in the wrong direction I would think that it would at least register as a weak signal. Its just not being recognized by the box.

So I called Directv to come fix it. I made the appointment for Tuesday the 9th between 8a-12p. They changed my appointment to Monday between 12p and 4p and sent me a message that I didn't answer the door.. They said that I made the change. No I did not. Why would I when I would be at work?? grrrr... Not a huge big deal, except I haven't had tv since last Tuesday.

First I tried to be patient and assume that the roofers would put the dish back on the roof. They just left it hanging. Then I found out that it shouldn't be on the roof anyway because of damaging the new roof, so I thought it was a blessing in disguise that it was left there. But now it doesn't work at all.

My former friend, who has become a rep for a well known EO MLM, is always trying to sell me her wares. To say she is pushy would be an understatement. She KNOWS I buy my EOs from a reputable source, and she also knows my views on "her" company, but she keeps on sending me messages...

My former friend, who has become a rep for a well known EO MLM, is always trying to sell me her wares. To say she is pushy would be an understatement. She KNOWS I buy my EOs from a reputable source, and she also knows my views on "her" company, but she keeps on sending me messages...

Can you block her? That would drive me bananas and eventually she would end up getting a mean return message from me.

Ugh, pushiness.

Explain to her that her oils are far too expensive for you to use in soapmaking. Each of their bottles is what, 10 ml? You'd have to use a couple of bottles depending on the batch size. That would raise the cost of your bars to a point where, if you sell, no one would buy. I had to tell a customer, who is a YL distributor, that very thing. When I put it in that perspective, he understood completely and backed right off.

Can you block her? That would drive me bananas and eventually she would end up getting a mean return message from me.

Ugh, pushiness.

Yes, I'd be doing that PDQ. @MaryinOK, you did say she's a "former friend", after all.

Thank you for this space. I needed it. I have a plant I nursed for 20 years from my father's funeral. I had some staw-looking stuff in there from my mother's funeral. Not super attractive but I had it there until I found someplace else for it. I had to leave for almost two months. I wasn't sure how long I would be. My brother had a brain tumor compliments of the Air Force. He had taken a turn and I was going to be with him until the end and was. I asked my friend to plant sit. She assured me she would take the best of care! She had a grow light. Well, she transplanted my plant to a huge pot. She googled what it needed she said. If you have to google something then you don't know. I JUST transplanted it before I gave it to her. She didn't think it looked good. Well, it might be a little droopy from the transplant but it was very healthy. She threw all the straw stuff away because it didn't look good. I got about half the plant back because she kept cutting away at what she thought looked bad. And she threw the pot away I just bought to put it in.
I got a new pot, replanted it to a smaller one that is needed. Bought a grow light now so it can be in ICU. What was from my mother's funeral, what was all there was frankly, is gone. My decorative pot is gone. I 'think' I will be able to save my plant but it is so tiny now. I will forever more just take it with me. WHY do people take liberty with other people's stuff!! Call me first!! I was sad and I'm angry.

My roof is being replaced, and the guys not only removed my satellite dish (directv), but left it hanging off the side of the house. It does not work anymore. My friend came over to reinstall it, and there is no signal, period. If it was just in the wrong direction I would think that it would at least register as a weak signal. Its just not being recognized by the box.

So I called Directv to come fix it. I made the appointment for Tuesday the 9th between 8a-12p. They changed my appointment to Monday between 12p and 4p and sent me a message that I didn't answer the door.. They said that I made the change. No I did not. Why would I when I would be at work?? grrrr... Not a huge big deal, except I haven't had tv since last Tuesday.

First I tried to be patient and assume that the roofers would put the dish back on the roof. They just left it hanging. Then I found out that it shouldn't be on the roof anyway because of damaging the new roof, so I thought it was a blessing in disguise that it was left there. But now it doesn't work at all.
Be sure to ask for a senior tech if the appointment is changed again. But, to be fair, sometimes the appointment that you select for yourself is not what is available in the DTV systems. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain that to various customers and I know it is annoying too.

Be sure to ask for a senior tech if the appointment is changed again. But, to be fair, sometimes the appointment that you select for yourself is not what is available in the DTV systems. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain that to various customers and I know it is annoying too.
It was in a chat. She asked me if I wanted an appt time for tuesday between 8-12 and I'm like "perfect". Then I got a series of messages early in the morning on Monday that my appt was changed. I was sleeping the whole time, so I don't know what that was all about LOL. I definitely did not change my appointment time for a time that I wouldn't be home. It's all good. I just have no tv for now LOL. I don't know how ppl give up cable to do subscriptions (netflix etc). I sleep with the tv on and I wake up as soon as its off. Netflix keeps "are you still watching" like every other episode lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
It was in a chat. She asked me if I wanted an appt time for tuesday between 8-12 and I'm like "perfect". Then I got a series of messages early in the morning on Monday that my appt was changed. I was sleeping the whole time, so I don't know what that was all about LOL. I definitely did not change my appointment time for a time that I wouldn't be home. It's all good. I just have no tv for now LOL. I don't know how ppl give up cable to do subscriptions (netflix etc). I sleep with the tv on and I wake up as soon as its off. Netflix keeps "are you still watching" like every other episode lol.
Yeah, something might have happened on their end. I can't say for their newer customer accounts but the older ones you had to be careful with scheduling. In either case, ask for a senior tech if they rescehdule out of the blue and say you did it. There are only a handful of times where DTV or AT&T will cancel and reschedule you out of the blue and those times usually include extreme weather or serious maintenance.

No biting. I have the same story. It hurts!! It's maddening. You handled it perfectly! I am now doing the same. I have given heirlooms that meant a lot to me and I thought would be huge to them. Never heard it they got it let alone a thank you. Yep I stop too.

Yep, I keep throwing out suggestions - and I haven't even suggested the colors I REALLY want to do because I know those won't go over. My house (before we got married and moved in together) had a bright orange and blue dining room, that I absolutely loved. (see attached photo)

View attachment 29931

Zinsser primer covers anything! It is also known to cover water stains which are hard to cover. just sayin' Primer first then paint.

Zinsser

I sleep with the tv on and I wake up as soon as its off. Netflix keeps "are you still watching" like every other episode lol.

I use the movies anywhere app. If I put on a movies with a bunch of extras it will automatically play through the extras.

if I need a movie to sleep I watch “the sword in the stone.” The app takes me through a movie, an original Walt Disney special where Walt talks about magic, deleted scenes, maybe a song or two, and a Mickey Mouse movie (I think it’s Mickey, Donald, and Goofy in Jack and the Bean Stalk). I don’t know how long my stuff is but if it only half works for you get the Lord of the Rings extended edition and you’ll sleep for a month

This is half gripe, half win. I work with a toxic person. She is really bad. When I first started working at my job 5 years ago, I was told by everybody to not piss her off or she will get you fired. Long story short, I have HAD it five years later. I knew i was opening a can of worms.

She has our management snowed. She is seriously toxic and full of drama, lazy. So I filed a formal complaint with Human Resources last week. I didn't go small, I went straight for the throat...I contacted the director of HR. I am a hero in our department right now as everybody else is so excited that I am trying to squash the problem child.

As expected she opened a retaliation complaint against me, and used the words "bullying" and "harassment"....sent me over the roof. HR did their thing (whatever that may be LOL)...series of meetings and an investigation, and had us both in a conference room today with all of our upper management to mediate two employees "that are not getting along". I came prepared with a three page letter (including bulletted points, starting with expecting a retraction to the bullying and harassment comment, along with a written apology for defamation of character, or I would contact my attorney, and needless to say...that scared the crap out of everybody LOL. All managements' heads were screwed on backwards while reading my letter.

She (lets call her Jackie), has no idea what she is up against with me. I have battled against bigger people than a tech, and won. I am not normally a "i'm calling my lawyer" type, but she used those words...which can get you fired with zero tolerance... she opened a bigger can of worms with me.

I was also prepared with solutions to our problems...and I say OUR because I wrote my original complaint on behalf of the whole department.

I sat there today so confident and coooool as a cucumber. I spent so much time quiet and just listening, but when I said something, it was very meaningful. Yet she would burst out in an attempt at a cat fight with me by trying to push my buttons, or when HR would say something like "lets figure out a solution..." she would scream out and slap her hand on the table "I AGREE!" So dumb and obviously volatile LOL. I'm like "I also agree, but if you look at my documents (that Jackie didn't have a copy of), I think that in order to remedy this problem..., and that we should...I have already documented, if you look on the second page..." etc.

She said "The kids (our term of endearment for the youngins in our department) are PETRIFIED of you. You bully them!"...at this point she is really actually describing herself. I sat calmly and let her finish her rant because she looks like a cat backed in a corner at this point LOL, and said "well, (HR), one of the kids gave me this letter that they found that Jackie wrote, so I believe that speaks volumes on who is being bullied by who, given that they wanted to make sure i knew what was being said in retaliation. But if anybody ever felt that way, I would be devastated because I am teaching them. I don't want anybody to be afraid. I will definitely soften my voice if I need to, Something I need to work on...maybe I need to figure out how to speak to the younger generation better."

Funny thing, I accidentally brought my W2 that I also had in my purse folded up the same way, that I thought was her letter, glad they didn't want to see it LOL. It would have been "See! I don't get paid to deal with this!"

HR called me after the meeting and said that she appreciated my reactions (or more like, non-reactions), she hoped that the issue was resolved for me blah blah blah...She also said that she appreciated that I brought a resolution to the table.

My resolution was that I move my shift from 3pm to 3:30...that way me and her do not have to interact personally at change of shift. I removed myself from the situation as she will be gone by the time I get there. I told HR that she will be getting the same complaints again from whoever takes my shift. She said, yes, probably LOL.

Jackie will be "good" for a few weeks, but it will be back to business as usual when she gets comfortable again. It is a cycle every time someone complains.

One of the complaints is that she always leaves at 3:00, when her shift is actually until 3:45. At the end of our meeting today HR said her thank you's to everybody etc, and said to Jackie "thank you for staying late to join us"...I looked at my phone,..."actually she has 15 more minutes until the end of her shift so no worries!". And I left LOL.

When I got back from our meeting, one of our male youngins was like "Jacked just came in and grabbed her bag and left quick. What the **^% happened?" He kept saying "that's great...awesome...that's great"

My phone was blown up all night by said-kiddos asking how things went today....not exactly the reaction expected if I was the bully.

I almost feel bad. I was a supervisor for about 8 years. I had some training on body language, voice control, and conducting yourself in a meeting effectively. Seating is also important. I happened to have a chair that kept wanting to roll to the right....closer to jackie ever so slightly. She was very blocked in LOL. Me and my director sitting on the left, manager behind us, HR in the middle in front, and Jackie sitting on the right, kinda by herself. I couldn't have planned seating better, especially with my rolling chair LOL

Last edited:
Christmas gift soap in a beautiful bowl along w / face towels to Mother In-Law making sure it arrives before Christmas. No reply from or acknowledgement she received it, moving forward to now February we spent the Day w/ her & she didn't acknowledge or mention her gift? I asked her if she received her Christmas Gift? her reply " Oh yeah I got it' thank you, but the scent didn't last long!". I'm thinking to self "Like Really? oh how rude on several accounts" Ugh!! Needless to say its been a struggle dealing w/ her for 44yrs. 🤨😉
A couple years ago I received a “no thank you” note from a S-I-L that was so outrageous I took a photo to share. Told me one bar would be plenty, that her husband was sensitive to “strong scents”, that they still had soap from the year before, blah, blah blah. So rude. I guess soap isn’t for everybody. Needless to say I haven’t sent any more.

Ok my gripe today is soap related. I just made 28lbs of soap, did lovely pours, decorated tops, embeds and everything and realized after I was cleaning up that I'm a dagblamed idiot who apparently needs to learn to add. I master batched the lye water for all 28lbs of soap but when I was dividing it up I just thought about how much lye to use per batch and didn't include the liquid so my divided portions got messed up with some too lye heavy and some too lye light. So I've just screwed up so much soap and wasted a whole night of shaping. I could just scream.

Back