Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tens unit sounds like solid advice. In the meantime I will ask him what other exercises they recommend. He does karate, so he gets lots of advice. I was cursing him out over the shoulder roll thing, but the next day it was gone after having it for so long.

Thankfully the pinched nerve was gone the next day! Not to say it won't pinch again but for now I'm back to normal. Thanks everyone!

This morning's gripe is Facebook soap makers. There's this ad that keeps popping up with how to make your own soap from this one company/person? It's like how to make citrus soap or variations thereof and some of the recipes that this person posts make me scream. The latest is the orange citrus soap where they are telling these lovely people on facebook to add fresh orange zest to their soap and 10X orange essential oil. They recommend an amount but then tell the general audience that they can always add more but it will increase the cost to make the soap. No mention that adding more can actually be harmful and burn your skin, or the fact that adding fresh orange zest is going to make that soap go nasty and rancid while curing. Another irritating thing is they are telling people to just melt their oils/butters in a sauce pan and then add the lye. Doesn't mention that it needs to be stainless steel or anything, just says sauce pan. And yes they do caution people in the article if they haven't made CP soap before to go read their other 4 articles on how to make soap but I really think ads like this on facebook, saying how easy it is to make your own orange soap are dangerous to the average user. Mainly because I have people I know on facebook who would read that and think, oh yeah I can do that, would buy everything and have no idea what they were doing and try to make soap without doing any further research and probably blow up their kitchen.

I like Betas but only if they are not mine. I tend to hate caring for fish too. After my daughter's last two fish, both from an amusement park, I said never again unless I get a tank and even then, I know I don't want to care for fish in a tank.

I feed the birds and squirrels and thats about enough responsibility for me. Bird behavior and squirrel behavior are fascinating.

One of our "baby" techs put in her notice to go work a cushy 9-5, no nights, no weekends, no holidays job at a smaller hospital...or at least she is painting the grass as being greener on the other side LOL.

I keep telling my boss...you keep giving these kids this opportunity right out of xray school, they stay a year, get their experience...whine a lot, and get a nice notch on their resume coming from a prominent hospital, and then leave. This is the fourth one in 2 years. We are constantly looking for techs, and it's frustrating because we always have to teach them, instead of holding out for somebody more experienced who understands: this is a hard hospital to work at!! Or, pull a tech that already works there who wants to cross-train.

We already had two positions open...one full time, and one per diem. This kid said she wanted to stay on per diem, instead of just leaving. I told my boss...do not do it. She is going to take up a spot where we need an actual per diem. She is not going to give us hours. Sure as rain, this month's schedule came out and she isn't on it, but one Sunday afternoon at the end of the month 11a-7p. And she made demands..no overnights, no late nights (3-11p), and no holidays.

I have another conversation with my supervisor...I will take that shift that she picked up (how nice of her knowing how short staffed we are), don't offer her anything next month. You don't even have to "fire" her: HR will just send her a letter saying that she didn't work enough shifts to keep her per diem status. She says she can't do that and would feel guilty. I WOULDN'T.

Now that my partner is out on leave for COVID, my boss calls this girl to help out over this weekend and she will move everybody elses schedules around so that we can get it all covered. We are desperate. She said no, this is her first weekend off and she was going to enjoy it. Believe me now Karen?? She is taking up a valuable spot!! Suck it up and let her go.

Today is day 6 of 6 for me, then I am off tomorrow, work Sunday 8 hours 11a-7p, Monday 16 hours (3p monday-7a tuesday), back in on Tuesday at 3p after a nap... then 3-11 wed, thurs, friday...Saturday overnight, then Mon-Friday 3-11. I don't have a day off for the next two weeks after tomorrow. Then that next saturday off and start it all over again.

I called her personally...can you PLEASE take Sunday from me? Easy peasy 11a-7p. Nope. Can you work next Saturday overnight? "I already told her that I am not doing overnights anymore".

I'm not the only one...we are all working this crazy schedule.

One of our trauma nurses lives 2 minutes from me (we live an hour away from work). I was like "I'll race you home...stop by and have a beer." I got home and sat down...heck no I ain't having anybody over tonight LOL. My feet and legs hurt so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to do some light straightening up to have her over LOL. I'm too worked up to go to sleep, and too tired to move from my chair. I have clean soapy dishes all over the kitchen. I don't have the motivation to either put them away, or to make soap.

Ugh, that sounds awful, I'm sorry that is happening to you. Some people are just really scared of confrontation.

But, I'd take "grass is greener" stories with a grain of salt. My job isn't particularly glamorous, but its fairly predictable, the hours are set, the work is very relaxed for the field I'm in, the pay is good and I'm home 5 days a week (I went into the office 1 day a week pre-pandemic).

My friend, who did the same job, left for another agency, and she really painted it as being so much better, and why didn't I apply, she could use her connections to get me in, and I'd make more. She is doing fine now, but I see a lot of cracks....she isn't familiar with that area of law, its a steep learning curve, the work requires a lot more time, she has to put things by multiple people, she cannot take any classes because she has young kids and thats not a great look, she has to commute into the city (or will have to) 3 days a week, her co-workers aren't very fun and they won't just take time to have a chat, she has to go into the city. I think she sincerely misses her old job, but she is always sending me job postings for other agencies I could apply to....and maybe I will, but, I think its good to be wary of anyone who makes the grass sound that much greener....I mean, grass is NEVER that green unless its fake astroturf.

Canning lids. Price online and lack of availability in stores. I could just spit.
I don't have any trouble finding canning lids, but I live in a rural area where there are lots of folks who do home canning, so maybe that's why. They are carried here in Walmart, Blains Farm & Fleet, and even in the hardware store in my small town.

Do you have a Walmart near you where you can order online for p/u at the local store? Often if I want something that my local store doesn't carry, I can order it to be delivered to there for pick-up, but sometimes I can get free home delivery without even having to spend the minimum $35.00.

Well the other kiddo put in her notice today. My boss is freaking out.

Funny thing is that she is taking a job at a hospital that I was per diem at. I am no longer there because I HATED it there. And I left despite the extra money. She knows how much I hated it. The supervisor is arrogant and has zero communication skills. Great techs/really nice people are leaving after being there for years...THAT is why they have so many job openings right now. I tried to tell her, but she has her mind made up. It's weirdo world over there, I have told her that before. She will learn LOL.

But she is also going to stay per diem. Another wasted spot imo. Neither one of these girls is going to give us the hours. They are offering her 3-12 hour shifts per week. Which sounds sweet...problem is they tacked on the word "variable" to her job description, which means they can do Monday-Wed-Friday, or Fri-Sun. And change it at will.

I know techs, so I have a few feelers out there. Hopefully something pans out for someone solid with the people I know. My old boss from another job was considering the per diem position that we had open, and she is definitely solid. But now this kid is going to be taking up that spot. My old boss isn't going to want to be full time, I already know that. I have three people to text tomorrow.

Desperate isn't the word right now. This is an emergency situation. We are so busy, our department cannot be run with 5 people...Tonight I stayed for 3 hours after my shift because I couldn't get out of there. And this newly-liberated kiddo was like "sorry, gotta go!" Zero loyalty and work ethic.

We have one more newer tech, but he isn't quite as delicate as the two girls are, but my boss is worried that he will follow suit and leave as well. He lives near me (we are an hour away from work). I have already checked out the job listings at our local hospitals and assured her that there is nothing around here for him to go to. Plus he just bought a house, so that might deter him from changing jobs. I work with him tomorrow so I'm going to feel him out. I know he's been stressed lately...working a lot, getting scheduled 6-7 days in a row (variable hours comes into play), so I have been taking some of his weekend shift just to give him a break... but I want him to know he can ask if he needs a break.

I have another gripe since I am here

My sister sent me a text of a picture of my nephew's arm xray...she says "what do you think?" I'm like "he has a radial fracture". She freaks out, she went to an urgent care doc-in-the-box center, and they said it was negative. I'm like noooo...it's fractured and sent her a picture with an arrow pointing to it. She's calls me arguing, like I have time. I says to bring him to our er, IT IS BROKEN. Of course now I need to have another argument over there being no difference between a break and a fracture.

I take my phone over to the ER and show our doc. Yes, it is fractured. I sent my sister a text saying that the doctor agrees with me. Now my other sister started texting me that I freaked her out. Oh for pete's sake, then why did she ask me? It is completely obvious, and I had a doctor confirm it for her off the cuff. Grrrrrrr.

edit: and this is why I hate looking at peoples xrays for them LOL

Last edited:
I don't have any trouble finding canning lids, but I live in a rural area where there are lots of folks who do home canning, so maybe that's why. They are carried here in Walmart, Blains Farm & Fleet, and even in the hardware store in my small town.

Do you have a Walmart near you where you can order online for p/u at the local store? Often if I want something that my local store doesn't carry, I can order it to be delivered to there for pick-up, but sometimes I can get free home delivery without even having to spend the minimum $35.00.
Yep - we have a Walmart about 30 minutes away in either direction, and a home depot one way with a lowes the other - and a tractor supply co. I've been looking for canning lids at all locations, in person every month and online every week, since we needed some this last November. I should have said that I need wide mouth lids, but I was too busy spitting... I will say that with the low population in a 30 mile radius of us, the stores will typically get seasonal stuff one time and that's it. So, up here, if you don't get your canning lids by the end of March - you don't get lids. This is why I'm madder than a hen. Avg price for brand name lids online is $8 per dozen. Extortion. Usually these are $3 to $3.25. I can still buy a dozen wide mouth jars with bands and lids for $11, btw, but I don't need more jars taking up more space. Since my market now has regular lids for their usual $2.99, the prices online are obviously sellers/retailers taking advantage and bilking people. I'll freeze my goods before I pay $8 per dozen for lids. Our little market now has regular lids, but no wide mouth. I'll pay you, or anyone else for that matter, to get me 3 packs of wide mouth lids for $3.50 per dozen or less. Oh well...at least I do have a good freezer and if I have to, I'll just switch over to regular mouth jars and figure out what to do with all my wide mouth jars.

Last edited:
Well the other kiddo put in her notice today. My boss is freaking out.

Funny thing is that she is taking a job at a hospital that I was per diem at. I am no longer there because I HATED it there. And I left despite the extra money. She knows how much I hated it. The supervisor is arrogant and has zero communication skills. Great techs/really nice people are leaving after being there for years...THAT is why they have so many job openings right now. I tried to tell her, but she has her mind made up. It's weirdo world over there, I have told her that before. She will learn LOL.

But she is also going to stay per diem. Another wasted spot imo. Neither one of these girls is going to give us the hours. They are offering her 3-12 hour shifts per week. Which sounds sweet...problem is they tacked on the word "variable" to her job description, which means they can do Monday-Wed-Friday, or Fri-Sun. And change it at will.

I know techs, so I have a few feelers out there. Hopefully something pans out for someone solid with the people I know. My old boss from another job was considering the per diem position that we had open, and she is definitely solid. But now this kid is going to be taking up that spot. My old boss isn't going to want to be full time, I already know that. I have three people to text tomorrow.

Desperate isn't the word right now. This is an emergency situation. We are so busy, our department cannot be run with 5 people...Tonight I stayed for 3 hours after my shift because I couldn't get out of there. And this newly-liberated kiddo was like "sorry, gotta go!" Zero loyalty and work ethic.

We have one more newer tech, but he isn't quite as delicate as the two girls are, but my boss is worried that he will follow suit and leave as well. He lives near me (we are an hour away from work). I have already checked out the job listings at our local hospitals and assured her that there is nothing around here for him to go to. Plus he just bought a house, so that might deter him from changing jobs. I work with him tomorrow so I'm going to feel him out. I know he's been stressed lately...working a lot, getting scheduled 6-7 days in a row (variable hours comes into play), so I have been taking some of his weekend shift just to give him a break... but I want him to know he can ask if he needs a break.

I have another gripe since I am here

My sister sent me a text of a picture of my nephew's arm xray...she says "what do you think?" I'm like "he has a radial fracture". She freaks out, she went to an urgent care doc-in-the-box center, and they said it was negative. I'm like noooo...it's fractured and sent her a picture with an arrow pointing to it. She's calls me arguing, like I have time. I says to bring him to our er, IT IS BROKEN. Of course now I need to have another argument over there being no difference between a break and a fracture.

I take my phone over to the ER and show our doc. Yes, it is fractured. I sent my sister a text saying that the doctor agrees with me. Now my other sister started texting me that I freaked her out. Oh for pete's sake, then why did she ask me? It is completely obvious, and I had a doctor confirm it for her off the cuff. Grrrrrrr.

You sound far too kind.

Family is family, but if your family is being weird and paranoid about the help they asked you for id stop giving it.

You really never know when someone is going to come at you saying that they relied on your expertise in making some sort of medical decision. Even if its not the one you recommended.

People are nice and they want to help and I get that vibe from you. A good heart. But id be very wary of someone who relies on your expertise and then wants to argue with you.

You know everyone involved better than I do. Its very kind of you to keep giving advice when you're getting hassled. I would have been over it after like 5 minutes. Your job is hard you don't have time or energy.

I'll pay you, or anyone else for that matter, to get me 3 packs of wide mouth lids for $3.50 per dozen or less.
Huh, I don't know if the postage could possibly work but I have 2 packs of wide mouth lids that I can't use because I don't have the jars for them... You can't get them here at all so I buy them when I visit the states. Last time I grabbed the wrong packs :rolleyes:

Huh, I don't know if the postage could possibly work but I have 2 packs of wide mouth lids that I can't use because I don't have the jars for them... You can't get them here at all so I buy them when I visit the states. Last time I grabbed the wrong packs :rolleyes:
I'm betting the postage wouldn't work...but maybe we could swapsies? Cheaper than a plane flight! LOL

@KimW I’m planning to grocery shop tomorrow. Do you want me to check my store for you? I could send some if the store has them. We tend to get the canning supplies showing up more during summer and fall months here, but I’d be happy to look.

Replace "looking at people's xrays for them" and sub in "evaluating their legal situation" and I am right there with you.

No, you can't sue the appliance store for $100k because your fridge broke.

No, you won't get $1M for a little fender bender that didn't even set off your airbags.

No, you can't just change the locks and throw your roommate's stuff in the street.

No, I can't help you get out of that contract you signed (the contract that you either didn't have me read first, or the one you decided to sign anyway after I told you not to sign).

Why did you ask me if you didn't want to hear the truth?

@KimW I’m planning to grocery shop tomorrow. Do you want me to check my store for you? I could send some if the store has them. We tend to get the canning supplies showing up more during summer and fall months here, but I’d be happy to look.
PMing you!

I have to pull teeth whenever I ask for help for something that would take the person maybe 20min and low effort but would take me a whole day and risk getting really sick for a long period of time.
"You can always ask for help" my asss 😒 I wouldn't be asking if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to ship a roll of duck tape to my apartment.

(For reference I can't drive and I'm in the hi risk pop for covid and I live alone so friends who already have bubbles can't visit. So fam is being less than reliable even when they are coming over anyway)

Last edited:
This morning's gripe is Facebook soap makers. There's this ad that keeps popping up with how to make your own soap from this one company/person? It's like how to make citrus soap or variations thereof and some of the recipes that this person posts make me scream. The latest is the orange citrus soap where they are telling these lovely people on facebook to add fresh orange zest to their soap and 10X orange essential oil. They recommend an amount but then tell the general audience that they can always add more but it will increase the cost to make the soap. No mention that adding more can actually be harmful and burn your skin, or the fact that adding fresh orange zest is going to make that soap go nasty and rancid while curing. Another irritating thing is they are telling people to just melt their oils/butters in a sauce pan and then add the lye. Doesn't mention that it needs to be stainless steel or anything, just says sauce pan. And yes they do caution people in the article if they haven't made CP soap before to go read their other 4 articles on how to make soap but I really think ads like this on facebook, saying how easy it is to make your own orange soap are dangerous to the average user. Mainly because I have people I know on facebook who would read that and think, oh yeah I can do that, would buy everything and have no idea what they were doing and try to make soap without doing any further research and probably blow up their kitchen.
Ahhh yes the predatory nature that is Facebook ads. Where the money is in the amount of views and clicks it gets because the more eyes the more FB gets in that commission %. Some of those might purposely be miss informing people just to get "real soapers" to "OUTRAGE" in the comments to correct it. Giving the post more interaction and a boost in the algorithm which gives it more views and the cycle continues.
You can actually flag stuff for misinformation now. You should try that since what is being instructed can actually make a dangerous product and cause people to hurt themselves.

I have two gripes. Covid related.

I had a covid patient that two nurses brought down. After they left, I had to clean the room, finish up my imaging and paperwork....took about 20 minutes. I left to go down to the er scanner where we normally work.

THIS PATIENT was in the hall, between labor and delivery and the elevators, laying in his bed by himself. Nurses come running down the hall from the coffee shop. They just left a COVID patient sitting in the hall while they ordered coffee/food or whatever they got, for 20 minutes!!!!

Just to be sure, I'm like "hey, you guys just leave CT Scan?" They are giggling like "yeah, Hi again!" I says its not funny, you just exposed every person that got on the elevator and all the people walking in and out of L&D. I wrote an incident report. You can't fix stupid....

Second gripe. I had another covid patient. Asymptomatic, and refuses to wear his mask. Basically not sick, but positive. I am like PUT YOUR MASK ON!! He says...do you know how uncomfortable it is to wear this mask? As I am standing there with two masks on, a face shield, goggles, and basically a trash bag that is sticking to my skin because I am sweating pushing his fat ass down the hall in a stretcher. My ears and nose have sores. Gee sir, I have no clue how uncomfortable you are. GRRRR....

I'm going to meditate and spiritually slap those stupid people in their metaphysical face for you. Because they seriously need to be slapped.

Yep - we have a Walmart about 30 minutes away in either direction, and a home depot one way with a lowes the other - and a tractor supply co. I've been looking for canning lids at all locations, in person every month and online every week, since we needed some this last November. I should have said that I need wide mouth lids, but I was too busy spitting... I will say that with the low population in a 30 mile radius of us, the stores will typically get seasonal stuff one time and that's it. So, up here, if you don't get your canning lids by the end of March - you don't get lids. This is why I'm madder than a hen. Avg price for brand name lids online is $8 per dozen. Extortion. Usually these are $3 to $3.25. I can still buy a dozen wide mouth jars with bands and lids for $11, btw, but I don't need more jars taking up more space. Since my market now has regular lids for their usual $2.99, the prices online are obviously sellers/retailers taking advantage and bilking people. I'll freeze my goods before I pay $8 per dozen for lids. Our little market now has regular lids, but no wide mouth. I'll pay you, or anyone else for that matter, to get me 3 packs of wide mouth lids for $3.50 per dozen or less. Oh well...at least I do have a good freezer and if I have to, I'll just switch over to regular mouth jars and figure out what to do with all my wide mouth jars.

I will check my local store when I go out today or tomorrow and let you know. The wide mouth lids are always in less abundance, though.

The woman upstairs just woke me by stomping on the floor, wanting me to stop the hammering......... which was being done by a flicker (in the woodpecker family) under the eaves OUTSIDE her bedroom and two floors above ours. Luckily for her, I lost her cell phone number.
Ok - so I know ti wasn't funny, but the way you wrote it made me chuckle. Can't fix stupid.

Ok - so I know ti wasn't funny, but the way you wrote it made me chuckle. Can't fix stupid.
Oh, believe me, she's been a constant source of head shaking and, later, chuckling. For instance, she has a habit of locking her vehicle twice each evening. Beep....................half hour later................. beep. Except, last night, she also left the passenger window wide open.

She's been known to leave her front door wide open, r(esulting in her blind dog wandering around the yard, with her having no idea where he is (that time, he was happily sniffing his way around the yard). Thankfully, we live in a pretty safe area. It's an adventure. Good thing we have tenant insurance.

Back