For those that line with Reynolds freezer paper..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Have you noticed that it is different?
I now got weird round blotches on the sides of the soaps.... and when you get to the end of the rolls they are either wrinkly or have 'seams'.

Trying to find Butchers paper on Amazon that is coated with plastic not wax. If you know of one please let me know.
I have had it with Reynolds :(

I've not noticed anything different with my Reynolds paper but I also get splotches at times.
If I remember right, its usually when I use a FO that heats up.
Not sure what you mean by wrinkles and seams at the ends. I've always seen folds and wrinkles.

Sorry should have been more descriptive.
When I am about 1.2 way through the roll I get weird creases in the sheet.
The Splotches, good word, seem to be more common and I never got that last Summer -beginning of Winter. Transfers to the soap which I am seriously mad about. Seems a bit thinner now too.
I am betting that they are making them cheaper :(

Hmm, maybe contact custom service and see if there has been a change. Maybe you got a bad roll, or has it been multiple rolls?

I hope its not being made cheaper. I use it for meat, any thinner and it will be problematic.

It is many rolls and not even consistent within the same roll.
Here are some of the soaps I just did last week or so . There are 3 scents that it did it on, you can see the sides of the soap. The Dark soap did soak through some of the paper, but the other 2 did not. Same roll and 18 other batches did not get the splotches. You can see 2 other scents that don't have it next to them. The grey/black on is a Campfire mix FO that does soak the paper a bit too and nothing.
:smallshrug:
I am going to try Butcher paper and see how it goes. I just NEED to know how things react as I waste product having to bevel off 3 sides
IMG_20190526_071313748[1].jpg IMG_20190526_071320830[1].jpg

I switched to the cheaper brand at Menards because I was having the same problem with Reynolds.

I switched to the cheaper brand at Menards because I was having the same problem with Reynolds.

:( No Menards here. I don't think Wally World has a generic brans.
I picked up some masking paper. While it has a shiny side, it is thinner and an Oil test did leak through. But mainly I just want to be able to get the soap out of the mold easy and smooth.
I will try it and let you know

Uncoated Butcher paper will not work. I also use a generic brand of freezer paper with no problems. Mine comes from Smart & Final. If you have storage room Uline has 1100' rolls but you really need to purchase a paper cutter to make it more convenient. Uline's butcher paper is coated with polyethylene, since I do not use Reynolds brand I do not know what it is coated with.

WebstaurantStore has a far better price on polyethylene-lied freezer paper than Uline:

Webstaurant's 15" by 1,000 feet roll is $19.26 (link)
The paper cutter is also a far better price at $23.11 (link)

Uline's 15" by 1,100 feet roll is $49.00 (link) you get an extra 100 feet, but it costs almost $30.00 more.
Uline's paper cutter is $77.00 (link)

The main difference between the two freezer papers is that Uline's is 40lb basis weight and Webstaurant's is 35lb basis weight, meaning it is slightly thicker.

My splotching was never that bad, wonder if it has anything to do with gelling. I don't force gel and if I do, its in a silicone mold in the oven.

For those of you who sell, wouldn't it be more convenient and cost effective to have custom sized silicone liners made for your molds?

Yeah I read about Butcher paper eons ago. This does have a coating but it is thin.
There was a butcher paper that had a coating on it but I think it was Wax so that was out. Another has a coating but when I looked into how it was made it was some kind of metal compound - if I remember correctly. So that was out.
I do not like the silicone liners.
I have Webstaurant web site already up. Looking at cost for shipping on the 24" x 1000 between them and Amazon

Last edited:
Have you tried Reynolds parchment? I've also used Betty Crocker's, and they've both worked pretty well. The rolls aren't very big if you get them at a Dollar Store but maybe they've got bigger ones at local supermarkets?
In any case, I'm able to re-use the linings in each mold 4-6 times each.

Have you tried Reynolds parchment? I've also used Betty Crocker's, and they've both worked pretty well. The rolls aren't very big if you get them at a Dollar Store but maybe they've got bigger ones at local supermarkets?
In any case, I'm able to re-use the linings in each mold 4-6 times each.

I have used non-stick baking parchment paper from COSTCO and it works fine. I gel my soap and can maybe get two batches out of one lining before it gets a little wrinkled.

I have used non-stick baking parchment paper from COSTCO and it works fine. I gel my soap and can maybe get two batches out of one lining before it gets a little wrinkled.

Shut up ! I was just looking at those the other day. I have not tried parchment paper because I heard that it is bad like wax paper and will not come off.
Actually it would be more cost effective to buy the big roll from webstaurant even with chipping it is about $50 total for 1100 of the 24" one. My molds are 21" long

The non-stick parchment paper is very different from the plain type. You can’t write on the non-stick version with a pen or a pencil. It will come right off. It’s super heat resistant, too. To bake my sourdough bread, I center my dough on a square of the parchment paper and drop it into a preheated (450 F) covered enameled casserole to cook for 40 minutes. The paper browns a tiny bit, but that’s it. It is only 15” wide though.

I used to use the Reynolds but I was also getting random results. I switched to Wilton’s parchment paper and it is a dream! Peels off the soap well, provides crisp lines when folding and fitting in the mold. I bought a mega roll 100 sq feet for like $5 when Walmart was having a sale. I use it in my T-shirt business as well instead of Teflon sheets. I’ve not reused in making soap batches but I reuse in the T-shirt’s for pressing and I get a lot of use from a sheet.

Just be careful that if you use parchment paper with designs, the designs can discolor your soap. You could turn it into a design feature, I suppose, but I thought it just looked like dirty splotches on the surface of my soap.

I’m new to the forum and have only been making soap for 7 months. I am still learning but having made my own wood mold. I found lining it with butcher paper preformed well, but cost more than I wanted to spend. I’m only doing this as a hobby.

I purchased a 13 x 16 foot 6mil thick drop cloth from the local hardware store. I cut it the width of my mold longer then needed. I cut another section the width of the mold again longer then needed. Both sections fall over the top of the mold. When I place the sheets in the mold, only the bottom is double layered. I push the plastic down to the bottom as well as I can. I do not tape the ends down to the mold. When I pour the soap, it pushes down the plastic and forms a good corner on the bottom. I will say I have had some leakage in the vertical corners, but it has never caused a problem.

The cost of the 13 X 16 foot 6 mil plastic drop cloth was $3.99.

@Dan9250 Thanks for the tip.
Plastic gives me wrinkles to easily. That is one of the things I liked about the freezer paper that it was smooth.
I know others have used plstic grocery bags or even plastic wrap.
I did do Tubes once and tried the Press&Seal plastic, but just could not deal with all the wrinkles :)

WebstaurantStore has a far better price on polyethylene-lied freezer paper than Uline:

Webstaurant's 15" by 1,000 feet roll is $19.26 (link)
The paper cutter is also a far better price at $23.11 (link)

Uline's 15" by 1,100 feet roll is $49.00 (link) you get an extra 100 feet, but it costs almost $30.00 more.
Uline's paper cutter is $77.00 (link)

The main difference between the two freezer papers is that Uline's is 40lb basis weight and Webstaurant's is 35lb basis weight, meaning it is slightly thicker.
This is the cutter I have https://www.uline.com/BL_502/Paper-Cutters
It saves me because I can will call. By the time I add shipping from Webstaurant Store it would cost me more, and I do not want thinner paper. Sometimes I pour at emulsion and it can seep through even 40lb at times. Forty lb should be a tad thicker than 35 lb but it really is minimal.

I never had any luck with parchment paper, but maybe because I often pour thin batter.

Latest posts

Back