Paper packaging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After two long years of trying a million different packaging types, I think I finally decided on paper wrapping. They look so simple yet elegant. I watched a bunch of videos and have narrowed it down to one or two styles of wrapping the soap. But none of the creators on any of the videos gave a hint to what they use.

One simply said wax paper. Well I have wax paper, and it doesn't look nice like hers, and of course when you fold it up, it looks all crinkly. Do you think its actually butcher paper or freezer paper? I mean regular wax paper is brown and thin and see-through.

The other video I watched just kept saying paper. I don't know if she means regular paper, or a certain weight paper or what.

What would you recommend for this style of wrapping soaps? I am done with the shrink wrap. Its expensive, time consuming, and I am just plain bad at it.

My biggest hinderance for selling soap has always been packaging. I think I finally found it, but not sure what material to use.

I’m curious what others will post in reply to this. I am no expert and only wrap 10-30 bars at a time, so my Kraft paper process is manageable and looks appealing to me. I watched a bunch of videos and landed that this must be what some of them were using. I’ve been getting 8.5x11 normal weight Kraft paper and cutting it to size. I get 6 tall skinny bars per page, but wrapping my normal loaf only gets 4 bars with some paper waste.

I have been trying something similar using paper. I'm printing on the paper front/back, cutting the paper (8 1/2x11) into quadrants, then folding around the bottom and taping on the sides like gift wrap. It covers about 3/4 of the bar and leaves the top open. It's a work in progress as I haven't gotten it formatted correctly yet, but I like it better than cigar bands that have tendency to slip off.
1679245358696.png

@Kcryss Mmmmmmmmmm, Rosemary and White sage sounds dreamy! And, like a combination worth stealing exploring 😂

@cerelife Somehow I'm weirdly on your wavelength today as I just popped in to reconsider my lack of purchasing a Cricut...

[quietly chanting to myself as I peruse my saved items at Amazon] I did not need to see that YT... I did not need to see that YT.... or, the ever popular.... I'm perfectly happy with rationed boxed wine for the foreseeable future.... I'm perfectly happy with rationed boxed wine for the foreseeable future.... :p

@Kcryss Mmmmmmmmmm, Rosemary and White sage sounds dreamy! And, like a combination worth stealing exploring 😂

@cerelife Somehow I'm weirdly on your wavelength today as I just popped in to reconsider my lack of purchasing a Cricut...

[quietly chanting to myself as I peruse my saved items at Amazon] I did not need to see that YT... I did not need to see that YT.... or, the ever popular.... I'm perfectly happy with rationed boxed wine for the foreseeable future.... I'm perfectly happy with rationed boxed wine for the foreseeable future.... :p
....and I will NOT listen to AliOop talk about HOW.MUCH.FUN. it is to make stuff with a Cricut Maker.

No, I will NOT I will NOT I will NOT!!

I found mine on destash: a Maker that had never been opened, with an EasyPress that had been used 1x.... and blades and markers and a carrying case and the heat mat and rolls of vinyl....such a fantastic deal.

Apparently she had begged her mom for this THREE years ago but then was too intimidated to open it. I suggested she tell me her mom's name and usual hangout spots, so I could make sure never to mention this great deal I got from a lady whose mom bought it for her... 😁

Of course, I still went out and bought more vinyl, some transfer tape, and some card stock. Will be going back for a scoring blade soon. ;)

I wonder if the creator you were watching meant the sandwich wrap sort of waxed (or greaseproof) paper? It comes in precut sheets, and doesn't crinkle like the roll of waxed paper in my kitchen drawer. It can be plain or printed, and would probably make a good wrap for soap. Here is a sample of some printed ones on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Deli...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Of course I can understand wanting a Cricut machine, but I am resolutely NOT looking them up right now....

I came really close to hitting the buy now button a few weeks ago when I discovered you could design your own boxes. I'm still thinking I should have done it. Lol
I've had a few people tell me that these machines don't really break, so buying a used one is a viable option, too. There are a ton of them for sale, at least in my area.

@AliOop I bought my Cricut new about 7 years ago for the sole purpose of creating pretty designs for signature Krewe throws at Mardi Gras, I've abused that poor thing over the years and yet it's still going strong!

I will have to check it out. The new one looks pretty cool though. Not that I need anything that powerful. ;)
Mine was 3 years old but brand new in the box - still shrink-wrapped, etc. It's the Maker, not the Maker 3, but I honestly didn't need the additional (very advanced) functions of the Maker 3. But if you wanted the M3, I saw a lot of those lightly-used models for sale, too.

Not that I'm trying to enable encourage you to buy something you don't need. Not at all! :nonono:😁

Last edited:
Mine was 3 years old but brand new in the box - still shrink-wrapped, etc. It's the Maker, not the Maker 3, but I honestly didn't need the additional (very advanced) functions of the Maker 3. But if you wanted the M3, I saw a lot of those lightly-used models for sale, too.
I found an Explore Air 2 in my area for 200. Didn't know if that was a good price or not. It looks almost as versatile as the Maker, but I don't know enough about them. I think I need to do a little more research and compare.

Not that I'm trying to enable encourage you to buy something you don't need. Not at all! :nonono:😁
No no, of course not! lol, that would be soo wrong. rofl.

I have two friends with Explore Air 2 models that they love! You can buy them brand new from the Cricut site for $199, so that's probably the new price you will also see at Michael's, JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, etc.

I don’t sell soap, so I didn’t want to invest too much in packaging. I found this colored wax paper in an art supply store, 3 dollars per tube (size like Christmas wrapping paper), then found videos on YouTube on how to wrap box gifts with the least amount of paper and a single piece of tape. Then instead of the tape, I use a hand-written label of what soap it is. The only complaint I got from family was that this meant ripping the label so they couldn’t keep it; but they fail to realize that my soap is a consumable, not an art piece!

The rectangular soaps were super easy to wrap, the ovals had a bit of a learning curve, but pretty decent.

Anyway, the colored wax paper is cute enough for my standards. I’m sure better origami styles can look even nicer.

I prefer whole-covered soap so that you don’t need further packaging to both prevent the soap from damage and “soaping” whatever bag you might need to carry it in.

72D1027D-58B5-4D34-BE54-144F941F7B15.jpeg

I found this colored wax paper in an art supply store, 3 dollars per tube (size like Christmas wrapping paper), then found videos on YouTube on how to wrap box gifts with the least amount of paper and a single piece of tape. Then instead of the tape, I use a hand-written label of what soap it is.
Brillliant! Thanks for the tip!!
Thanks.gif

I don’t sell soap, so I didn’t want to invest too much in packaging. I found this colored wax paper in an art supply store, 3 dollars per tube (size like Christmas wrapping paper), then found videos on YouTube on how to wrap box gifts with the least amount of paper and a single piece of tape. Then instead of the tape, I use a hand-written label of what soap it is. The only complaint I got from family was that this meant ripping the label so they couldn’t keep it; but they fail to realize that my soap is a consumable, not an art piece!

The rectangular soaps were super easy to wrap, the ovals had a bit of a learning curve, but pretty decent.

Anyway, the colored wax paper is cute enough for my standards. I’m sure better origami styles can look even nicer.

I prefer whole-covered soap so that you don’t need further packaging to both prevent the soap from damage and “soaping” whatever bag you might need to carry it in.

View attachment 71929
Wish I had your wrapping talents. These are lovely

Back