February Challenge- Soap Stones

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to re-do the list. We had a couple people enter who do not have enough posts and/or time when they entered, and we have to stick to the rules of minimum of 1 month AND a minimum of 50 "non-fluff" posts.

We have worked on these challenges to provide people with new techniques and some low-key incentive to push their soaping creativity. The spirit is to sign up to make soap according to the gauntlet we have chosen to thrown in front of you. Understandably, people run out of time or find some well or other a bit dry for the month. Entrants are still allowed to vote because we get that, but signing up just to vote is not in line with the purpose of the challenge. Please, for the love of all that's holy, try to make a soap! The Surgeon General may not have declared it good for your health but we all know that it improves your quality of living.

Please make and ENTER a soap. It keeps us challenge hosters feeling worthwhile, and you know it's all about us.

1. Misschief - I REALLY want to try this!
2. Primrose - Wow what a cool tutorial!
3. Dawni - I think I can finally have a go at a challenge
4. Hendejm - I am going to plan better this month!
5. Meena - This challenge may be one that I'm actually capable of fulfilling as a still-new soaper, heh heh
6. zanzalawi- it is my destiny :p
7. dibbles - messing with my soap on purpose - this will be interesting
8. SaltedFig - Stone Soap Rocks
9. KiwiMoose - Oh alright then. I have an idea for this, but I can't promise I will receive my supplies I need to do it before the entries close. Keep yer fingers crossed for me that they arrive.
10. earlene - want to get back in the groove
11. MarnieSoapien - I think I can, I think I can.
12.Terri E -I love soapy rocks! :)))))))))
13. midnightsoaper - this is my 50th post :D
14. szaza - the stones are calling me!
15. SideDoorSoaps - I really wasn’t gonna but now I NEED to try something that I’ve been wanting to do for awhile
16. Jules92207 - good challenge to get back into the groove since I’ve been MIA a while

Featured snippet from the web
In the card game of "Bridge" the suits of cards (hearts, diamonds, clubs and spades) have ranks, with spades being the highest rank. Making the Ace of Spades the top card, as it were. When you say you have something "in spades" you have a great abundance of it, or a high degree of quality of it.
phrases - What does "in spades" mean? - English Language & Usage ...

https://english.stackexchange.com/q/162372

Thanks Earlene, I did know that one. Where does "all get-out" come from, though?

6196336B-4732-4042-877A-6EE504D9F648.jpeg
Here’s mine, just made this morning. Will hopefully be set enough tomorrow to cut. A bit of an experiment this one!

Mine is in the mould … will see what we have to work with when I get home from work this arvo

Here's my entry for this month:
Winter Is Coming! - obsidian arrowhead guest soaps.
Translucent soap colored with activated charcoal and scented with a fresh/wintery blend of peppermint, eucalyptus, pine and clove (a variation on 'highbrow' from EOcalc)
View attachment 36340
(It took me a while to figure out how to properly carve arrowheads out of soap)
Awesome! I'd put them on display if i had them here lol they look so cool
View attachment 36348 View attachment 36349I have a dish of stones at my desk and of the dozen or so, three of them are Amethyst so I decided to try to duplicate it. It's scented with Black Tie but it's very faint.
I hope you're feeling better since this post. I love your soap, the block and the stone.
This is my entry :) I carved my stones from pieces of soap and soap dough. I made 3 layers and in the middle layer (orange and pink) added some butterflies I made from soap dough as a little surprise. I rolled some of the cut soap in gold mica to add a bit of sparkle! It is scented with Spearmint & Eucalyptus :)

View attachment 36399 View attachment 36397 View attachment 36400 View attachment 36393 View attachment 36398 View attachment 36394 View attachment 36395
This is so cool! Must have taken you a while to make them.
I love rocks and crystals, and own at least 100 different ones. I really like seeing how they sometimes form together in matrices, and my entry is meant to suggest malachite with chrysocolle. (I didn't look up what else these form in matrix with, so I don't know offhand what the white mineral is.)

Here it is before the cuts.
View attachment 36410

First test stone. Oh yeah, this is gonna work! Woo hoo! :D

View attachment 36411

Here are the other soap stones I made by cutting the loaf in a variety of ways, and hand-moulding the pieces. I left the wedge shapes be, to show the 'marbling' inside the loaf.

View attachment 36412

View attachment 36413

This next pic is most true-to-color. I shot these outside, so all the other ones are a little washed-out.

View attachment 36414

View attachment 36415

View attachment 36416

View attachment 36417

View attachment 36419
Very nice Meena.. I love the colors you used for this overall effect. Kudos too for trying with your 8th batch. I've been too chicken to try until this month lol and seeing everyone's entry is giving me "stage fright" haha
Here’s my entry

Edit:

So here’s some info about these soaps. They are soleseife made from Oregon coast seawater collected on the day of the last super moon which I think was also a blood moon and there was a corresponding king tide.

I used coffee grounds to get the speckled look. Oxides, clays and micas mixed until I had the colors I wanted. And I did use a soap shaped mold.
That seawater description has a load of label appeal! I'd grab it right away if I saw it hehe

I just got back home from a three day trip. Here we have s gathering for our departed after 40 days where we go to the cemetery and offer flowers and prayers. Then it's party time after lol guess who was karaoke queen for the night haha. I'll post my entry tomorrow :)

Not an entry but just for fun, here are some of the soap rocks (gemstones) I have left :) What a great time I had with this challenge :)

View attachment 36465

You put a lot of work into these beautiful miniature stones, Terri, judging by all the different colors and looks you achieved. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a First Place win for you.

Those are gorgeous, @Dawni! I love them AND Darren's chunky bar -- great job!

Side note: I'll be making a neem soap for a friend's son with acne one of these days; been waiting for them to buy me the neem oil. Black seed oil is definitely great stuff but it's pretty expensive here, so I doubt that I'll soap with it. Is it kind of inexpensive in the Philippines?

Those are gorgeous, @Dawni! I love them AND Darren's chunky bar -- great job!

Side note: I'll be making a neem soap for a friend's son with acne one of these days; been waiting for them to buy me the neem oil. Black seed oil is definitely great stuff but it's pretty expensive here, so I doubt that I'll soap with it. Is it kind of inexpensive in the Philippines?
I'm sure you have a great recipe in mind, but if you're interested in the advice I got for the first batch it's here. This second batch is tweaked so let's see if it works better. The principle is the same though.

Actually I couldn't find it cheap here, but I didn't look much. The bottle I had came with the powders from Pakistan, from dad. There's its not terribly expensive apparently and neem oil is dirt cheap lol

Know what else came cheap from there? Rose water.. Gonna see if he'll agree to use a toner with witch hazel lol otherwise I'll think of something for mom.

And thank you Meena :)

I'm sure you have a great recipe in mind, but if you're interested in the advice I got for the first batch it's here. This second batch is tweaked so let's see if it works better. The principle is the same though.
Actually I couldn't find it cheap here, but I didn't look much. The bottle I had came with the powders from Pakistan, from dad. There's its not terribly expensive apparently and neem oil is dirt cheap lol
Know what else came cheap from there? Rose water.. Gonna see if he'll agree to use a toner with witch hazel lol otherwise I'll think of something for mom.
And thank you Meena :)

I actually have Not had a chance to dig into a recipe for acne soap yet, so thanks for that link!
Yes, according to SO, black seed oil is a cure-all in the Muslim world, so I'm not surprised it was cheap in Pakistan. I have 2 bottles of Rose Water (by accident, forgot I had one), & love the smell of that stuff!

My first attempt.at the fissures technique was a bust. Seems the reserve soap and the TD in water didn't make it very far through the fissures at all. Not sure.i will have time for another attempt before the end of the challenge but I'll definitely have another go at some point because I adore the look of it

Latest posts

Back