February Challenge- Soap Stones

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first attempt.at the fissures technique was a bust. Seems the reserve soap and the TD in water didn't make it very far through the fissures at all. Not sure.i will have time for another attempt before the end of the challenge but I'll definitely have another go at some point because I adore the look of it

I'm sure if you smash and mould them into stones they will work out fine! Just try to keep some of the white on the surface. Don't give up!! :)

I had to re-do the list. We had a couple people enter who do not have enough posts and/or time when they entered, and we have to stick to the rules of minimum of 1 month AND a minimum of 50 "non-fluff" posts.

We have worked on these challenges to provide people with new techniques and some low-key incentive to push their soaping creativity. The spirit is to sign up to make soap according to the gauntlet we have chosen to thrown in front of you. Understandably, people run out of time or find some well or other a bit dry for the month. Entrants are still allowed to vote because we get that, but signing up just to vote is not in line with the purpose of the challenge. Please, for the love of all that's holy, try to make a soap! The Surgeon General may not have declared it good for your health but we all know that it improves your quality of living.

Please make and ENTER a soap. It keeps us challenge hosters feeling worthwhile, and you know it's all about us.

1. Misschief - I REALLY want to try this!
2. Primrose - Wow what a cool tutorial!
3. Dawni - I think I can finally have a go at a challenge
4. Hendejm - I am going to plan better this month!
5. Meena - This challenge may be one that I'm actually capable of fulfilling as a still-new soaper, heh heh
6. zanzalawi- it is my destiny :p
7. dibbles - messing with my soap on purpose - this will be interesting
8. SaltedFig - Stone Soap Rocks
9. KiwiMoose - Oh alright then. I have an idea for this, but I can't promise I will receive my supplies I need to do it before the entries close. Keep yer fingers crossed for me that they arrive.
10. earlene - want to get back in the groove
11. MarnieSoapien - I think I can, I think I can.
12.Terri E -I love soapy rocks! :)))))))))
13. midnightsoaper - this is my 50th post :D
14. szaza - the stones are calling me!
15. SideDoorSoaps - I really wasn’t gonna but now I NEED to try something that I’ve been wanting to do for awhile
16. Jules92207 - good challenge to get back into the groove since I’ve been MIA a while
17. Jstheidi- wanting to try my first challenge. Everyone makes this look like so much fun.

I couldn't enter this month because I'd done a rock challenge before. Here is my entry from then: IMG_6689.JPG Love the entries so far.
szaza as usual looking outside the box!
Dibbles you couldn't get more real!
Impressed by the newbies: Dawni your entry is fantastic. Carolyne Thrasher your entry is very impressive - just lovely and subtle. Meena love the colours.
Great work everyone.

Meena you can find the monthly challenge and entry thread under the banner at the top of the page. It does scroll but you have to be quick!
upload_2019-2-19_18-47-46.png

Wow there's been so much going on this weekend! So many lovely entries!
Lovely use of colors by @Meena
Wonderful polished look by @Carolyne Thrasher (they remind me a little of sugar coated easter eggs, yum:D)
@Dawni you're the queen of soap stones, love all your creations including your non-entries!
Fabulous as always @KiwiMoose
Stunning realism by @dibbles
And a wonderful first entry by @Jstheidi
Also lovely to see people who didn't enter share their soap stones! Love the color of the red granite by @geniash and seriously @penelopejane are you sure there are soaps among those rocks? They look so real!!!

I couldn't enter this month because I'd done a rock challenge before. Here is my entry from then:View attachment 36534 Love the entries so far.
szaza as usual looking outside the box!
Dibbles you couldn't get more real!
Impressed by the newbies: Dawni your entry is fantastic. Carolyne Thrasher your entry is very impressive - just lovely and subtle. Meena love the colours.
Great work everyone.

Meena you can find the monthly challenge and entry thread under the banner at the top of the page. It does scroll but you have to be quick!
View attachment 36535

Why does that mean you can't enter?

Why does that mean you can't enter?
It doesn't. Nothing in the rules that says you can't participate if you did the last time.

For myself, I chose not to do it because I did it before and didn't care to try it again. I'm having enough fun watching from the sidelines and waiting for the next one.

Last edited:
My first attempt.at the fissures technique was a bust. Seems the reserve soap and the TD in water didn't make it very far through the fissures at all. Not sure.i will have time for another attempt before the end of the challenge but I'll definitely have another go at some point because I adore the look of it
That's what happened when I tried it CP, and the way in the tutorial. I had fissures only until halfway down even though I did dig deep with a spoon. Breaking it in the mold didn't do it for me too. I finally gave that up and went back to my tried n tested stone look HP way lol although I did give my colors more thought than the usual way I mix.

I love the color of your soap stones. And the fissures still look like fissures soiI don't think it's a bust :)

The entries so far are looking so good!
@szaza Your arrowheads are very cool. I don't know if you made your transparent soap, but if you did a big kudos for that.
@Misschief Amethyst is my birth stone, so I've always been partial to it. You did such a nice job of capturing the color and look of the stone. Just lovely.
@Terri E I can't even imagine how much time you spent making all those stones, but it was totally worth it. Your soap is stunning.
@Meena The colors you chose to use are beautiful together. Your stones are very pretty.
@Carolyne Thrasher How awesome it is that you used sea water you collected. It was indeed a blood moon, which is also a wolf moon when it occurs in January. There was also an eclipse. (I know all this because that is the day my grandson was born.) I love the colors you used and the effect of the speckles. Very realistic, and they look so smooth I just want to touch them.
@Dawni You absolutely nailed this. Your soap stones are perfection!
@KiwiMoose Your color choice is very nice and I do see travertine. I'm also super jealous of your photography skills. Nice job!
@Jstheidi I know you are pretty new to soap making and you did an excellent job. Using coffee for the color was a good choice!
@Primrose I like that you tried the fissure technique. Your effort paid off with a very pretty soap. I love the color too.
@geniash So glad you joined in, even if it had to be unofficial. Love your soap, and I hope you will join the future challenges.

I hope I didn't miss anyone. Truly, all of the entries are special and voting will be super hard.

Latest posts

Back