FDA labeling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMAriel

Reaction score
I don't have very good luck trying to find something using the search function, so if this has been discussed before I apologize.

Can our soap labels say something like "cleansing, healing, softening, exfoilating, nourishing, revitalizing, oil absorbing". I'm sure there are more descriptions, but those are the ones I can think of.

What is allowed, and what is not allowed? I know if can't say we cure something, but do the words above cross the line? thanks.

There are diff label requirments for soaps vs cosmetics vs drugs.

You may be selling soap, but when you use words like *healing* you have just made a medical claim & have to label a sa drug & meet those standards.

You may be selling soap but

If a product --

consists of detergents or
primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids and
is intended not only for cleansing but also for other cosmetic uses, such as beautifying or moisturizing,

You are marketing it as a cosmetic & must label it like a cosmetic & meet those standards.

The FDA is not black & white, it is all subjective but here are the 2 links I find most helpful:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-218.html
Is It a Cosmetic, a Drug, or Both?
(or Is It Soap?)

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-lab1.html
Summary of Regulatory Requirements for Labeling of Cosmetics Marketed in the United States.

I do not know if they are the same 2 links Deda posted or not. I was too lazy to click on them :? .

Thank you. I read the links, and they don't really spell out words not to use. I wish they did, that would at least limit things down.

NMAriel said:
Thank you. I read the links, and they don't really spell out words not to use. I wish they did, that would at least limit things down.

This part in particular should help you
If a product --

* consists of detergents or
* primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids and
* is intended not only for cleansing but also for other cosmetic uses, such as beautifying or moisturizing,

it is regulated as a cosmetic.

If a product --

* consists of detergents or
* primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids and
* is intended not only for cleansing but also to cure, treat, or prevent disease or to affect the structure or any function of the human body,

it is regulated as a drug.

So, basically if you market it as "healing, softening, exfoilating, nourishing, revitalizing, oil absorbing" etc. then you have just placed your product in the cosmetic &/or drug categories.
At least that's my take on it.

But if you list an ingredient and say what it's for, then that's ok? )IE: green clay, known for oil absorbing properties.) I've seen that type of stuff on peoples websites, and labels. What do you think.

Latest posts

Back