Ciaglia Method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That turned out super ❤️❤️❤️

The Lovely Greens post on the method, here, is also useful. I have an original pdf of the Ciaglia method that I found somewhere online, but I can’t seem to find the link again. The post by LG is less concise, but essentially the same guidance is given.
Thank you for sharing!

I used this method too a few days ago. Its a wonderful way to do a rebatch. LOVE the grey granite look!! Really pretty yours! It would look so beautiful in a minimalistic bathroom⭐

Mine is a bit different with the clays and am not too pleased but the method is really GREAT! Such a smooth soap.

First time using this technique of “rebatching” scraps
You bevelled it so beautiful too. Did you grate a white soap within? Pretty!!

Attachments

• 9E96F7D8-3EA9-45D3-9E65-7B3B88F93BB8.jpeg
    9E96F7D8-3EA9-45D3-9E65-7B3B88F93BB8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@Putzii Thank you! The shreds I used were mostly very light colors but not white. If you blow it up and look really close you can see a couple little pink dots in there.
The planer/beveler I use is this one

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CDASoapWorks?load_webview=1&bid=ftMqDvY_87vMSrORpa2USIlOZwu0
I love it. Have had it for two years and it still performs like new. I have mulled over getting one of the Wild Plantanica Bevelers as they make some beautiful bevels, but I keep stopping myself from buying one as they remove a lot of the soap compared to this one. It looks like the sellers are taking a break from selling them at the moment. I hope they offer them again in the future. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
@Putzii Thank you! The shreds I used were mostly very light colors but not white. If you blow it up and look really close you can see a couple little pink dots in there.
The planer/beveler I use is this one

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CDASoapWorks?load_webview=1&bid=ftMqDvY_87vMSrORpa2USIlOZwu0
I love it. Have had it for two years and it still performs like new. I have mulled over getting one of the Wild Plantanica Bevelers as they make some beautiful bevels, but I keep stopping myself from buying one as they remove a lot of the soap compared to this one. It looks like the sellers are taking a break from selling them at the moment. I hope they offer them again in the future. I highly recommend it.
That’s really good looking one. But I suppose the technique is the important thing and when to actually bevel it. When it’s hard. I really like your soap! Its really a NEAT looking soap! Well done lady 🪬⭐🪬

Since the Scraps are already saponified, I would then be using more Lye than I need.
Correct. Good catch! :thumbs:
To arrive at the correct amount of oils/lye to add see post #33.

So why not just run the scraps through a food processer
Or a Presto Salad Shooter. That's what I use.
or if you don't have one, put them in a zip lock bag and beat them with a rolling pin?
Haha That reminds me of my young neighbor, Patsy, who needed crushed crackers for a recipe. She didn't have a rolling pin -- she wasn't much of a cook and didn't bake at all. So she put the Saltines in a ZipLoc, went out to the garage, placed the ZipLoc behind one of her tires, climbed into the car, turned the key and ran the car over the Saltines! I kid you not. True story!

Tip of a really good tube vid for the lye and oil calculations for any new beginner like me wanting to make this smooth soap.

This is my preferred way of using scraps too. I grate them first, add to the oils and stick blend them until they are tiny bits. @TheGecko I've always just made the proper amount of new soap with the correct amount of lye - not lye heavy at all.

The lye is calculated on the base oil batch.
The shreds are added to the oils (to soften/make smaller) and blended.
The lye solution (calculated from the base oils) is added to the mix.

The calculations for the shreds is for moulding, to calculate the final volume for the mould.

@TheGecko This process has no more chance of being lye-heavy than any other soap making.

This is my preferred way of using scraps too. I grate them first, add to the oils and stick blend them until they are tiny bits. @TheGecko I've always just made the proper amount of new soap with the correct amount of lye - not lye heavy at all.
Okay, so basically you don’t need all the calculations as in the video? Is that what you mean or do you still calculate around the scraps oil percentage?
Am so easily confused with maths, sorry about that.

Thanks for answering

Okay, so basically you don’t need all the calculations as in the video? Is that what you mean or do you still calculate around the scraps oil percentage?
Am so easily confused with maths, sorry about that.

Thanks for answering
If you want to know that you will fill your mold without having extra batter, then the calculation is probably necessary. With the Chagall method it was recommended that a maximum of 40% of batch weight in scraps could be used. I found 25-30% to work best for me. I don’t mind having extra and using cavity molds for the excess so I don’t have to be too focused on the math.

If you want to know that you will fill your mold without having extra batter, then the calculation is probably necessary. With the Chagall method it was recommended that a maximum of 40% of batch weight in scraps could be used. I found 25-30% to work best for me. I don’t mind having extra and using cavity molds for the excess so I don’t have to be too focused on the math.
So…mold holds 50 oz. 10 oz old soap, 30 oz new soap. Mix old soap with new oils, whiz. Add Lye Solution, whiz some more. Pour. Let sit over night. Unmold/Cut/Cyre/Enjoy.

So the only thing 'special' about this technique is that you mix the old soap with the oils to make the bits smaller. Sheesh, what a way to complicate things!
I like the result of the speckles better though. I’m not a fan of regular confetti soap, so this is another option for my scraps. I don’t think it’s more complicated, just watching for trace which admittedly can be a little more tricky.

So the only thing 'special' about this technique is that you mix the old soap with the oils to make the bits smaller. Sheesh, what a way to complicate things!
Yeah…I didn’t do any fancy math. I just guesstimated the amount of new soap I would need to make. I just treated it like any old confetti soap except for blending the heck out of the soap shreds in the oils first. That’s what I thought made this technique unique. Complicated stuff stresses me out. Lol

How come this is a new method? You tuber Tellervo shared this method over a year ago on her channel and it's how I've done some of my re-batching since.

And I pointing out that it wasn't rebatching, that it was just it was Confetti Soap.

Here are a couple of quick Ciaglia method soaps I made where I started with the melted fats at > 150 F, added the shreds, stick blended and then made the soap with the fat/shred mix starting at around 120F. Easy peasy for an impatient soap maker as long as the FO is friendly. These are scented with BeScented’s Love Spell. The pink and white batch is pretty darn smooth. The magenta pink section of the other batch has some of the original shreds added, which I probably won’t do again because I’m afraid the effect leans towards dreaded meat soap. In both cases, the batter was fairly thick/plop-able, but smooth enough to texture.

E8D9D096-2A8B-4CD1-A1B2-D00F567112C0.jpeg

@Zany_in_CO - now I’m regretting donating my old Presto Salad Shooter! I bet my garage sale queen mom can find me one… that sounds like a good plan for the bars I failed at stamping to prep for a batch. Thanks! 🌸
I can remember way back when they were a new thing and advertised heavily telling my hubby that I absolutely did NOT want one of those 🤣 If I only knew!

Latest posts

Back