Ciaglia definition help please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, question. What exactly is Ciaglia? I thought it was simply soap made from repurposing soap scraps. Is it layers or ..? I went down the internet rabbit hole trying to get a specific answer, but no joy!

The difference is that the shreds are added to the oils before the lye solution, and stickblended into specks that are much finer than the usual confetti/shreds.
4.2022 Cherry Almond Ciaglia Stone.jpg
10.2021 Ciaglia.jpg

Ciaglia is confetti, only you stick blend it in to the oils until it is little tiny dots:
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG

You can do layers of ciaglia with plain soap to create some interest - diagonal stripes, or straight across. You can colour the rest of soap anything you like, or leave it plain.
I think we had a challenge recently with ciaglia?

ETA: Haha, I was gonna tag in @dibbles to get her to post some pics of her beautiful ones, and she beat me to it anyway!

It's a new name for an old method (20 years at least) of using shreds of soap as an addition to a new soap batch.
Isn’t that the same definition of confetti soap? Is the difference the size of the soap shreds in the finished soap? Or is there a difference in technique to get the soap shreds really tiny? I must say, I just think of it all as new soap batter with shreds from previous soaps in it. One difference I did note in a post about ciaglia soap was that the soap shreds were added to the warm oils and blended them with a stick blender until very small, then the lye liquid was added. The texture of the soap with that method would come out different than simply stirring shreds into the batter at emulsion.

Edit: I see other people replied, while I was writing my post. 🤣

Isn’t that the same definition of confetti soap? Is the difference the size of the soap shreds in the finished soap? Or is there a difference in technique to get the soap shreds really tiny? I must say, I just think of it all as new soap batter with shreds from previous soaps in it. One difference I did note in a post about ciaglia soap was that the soap shreds were added to the warm oils and blended them with a stick blender until very small, then the lye liquid was added. The texture of the soap with that method would come out different than simply stirring shreds into the batter at emulsion.

Edit: I see other people replied, while I was writing my post. 🤣
no. Confetti just adds the shreds to the raw soap.

This version.. which wasn't called ciaglia back when I learned it.. uses the stick blender to grind the shreds in the oils, for a much finer look.

Question: Would it work to make Ciaglia soap by blending CP soap scraps into M&P soap? I love the look of @dibbles stone soap above and want a similar look for beach sand in an otherwise transparent ocean waves bar.
Afterthought: I just figured out I couldn’t use a stick blender with melt and pour because it would turn it into a froth. I would need to put CP scraps into my small food processor to get very tiny scraps and then blend them into the Melt and pour. 😜

Afterthought: I just figured out I couldn’t use a stick blender with melt and pour because it would turn it into a froth. I would need to put CP scraps into my small food processor to get very tiny scraps and then blend them into the Melt and pour. 😜
Yes, and probably have to dry out the shreds before combining. Oh, what fun we have! :dance:

Also, my son told me the correct pronunciation is "CHAHL-yuh", not "see-AG-lee-uh" .... hahaha
Good to know! Ignorant "see-AG-lee-uh" person here. Thank your son for me.

Here's the original thread that got the whole thing started. @Jersey Girl's soap is SO pretty!

CIAGLIA METHOD

I loved making this soap and am about ready to do them again. 🌸
View attachment 74637View attachment 74638
Those are gorgeous, and I love you you swirl the top of the soaps!

Good to know! Ignorant "see-AG-lee-uh" person here. Thank your son for me.

Here's the original thread that got the whole thing started. @Jersey Girl's soap is SO pretty!

CIAGLIA METHOD
Haha! He's a sweetie, very good at languages. When he was taking French in HS, I'd ask him how to pronounce certain words when I saw them. He'd say, "Don't butcher the language, Ma!" Now 22, moved on to Italian....he's much nicer about correcting me. :goodbye1:

Thanks for sharing the link and therefore feeding my addiction! I'm already excited to try this. It feels like something I can accomplish and build skills. 😁

My daughter in law is Italian and she confirmed that this is the way to pronounce it.

My family is Italian and I would agree, that's how Italians would pronounce that word: Chahl-yuh.

Now can we talk about Le Croix sparkling water? The French would pronounce this as, "Luh-Kwah." So after years of French classes, I feel like I've betrayed my French teacher and the entire nation of France if I use the American pronunciation, which is, "Luh-Croy." 😄

My family is Italian and I would agree, that's how Italians would pronounce that word: Chahl-yuh.

Now can we talk about Le Croix sparkling water? The French would pronounce this as, "Luh-Kwah." So after years of French classes, I feel like I've betrayed my French teacher and the entire nation of France if I use the American pronunciation, which is, "Luh-Croy." 😄
I am French actually and I feel I need to point out that it should be LA Croix. Croix is a feminine word in French...

Latest posts

Back