Ciaglia salt bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of. I had wanted to use salt shreds in a confetti soap but when I shredded it, it crumbled. I ended up powdering it by hand and adding it into a new batch of soap.
Ended up with a soap similar to ciaglia, just took a different route to get there.

Since salt bars crumble so much when shredding, it would blend in really nicely with a SB.

Oh, I was assuming you meant that you wanted to add regular (non-salt) soap shreds to a new salt soap, rather than salt-soap shreds to a new non-salt soap. I haven't tried either way, but it sounds like it would work fine, esp given Obsidian's experience that she described.

Yes, I was planning to use some of my multitude of powdered end pieces (non- salt) in my first salt bars coincidentally using @Obsidian 's recipe. The last time I used the Ciaglia method was in a batch of ZNSB and I just added the powdered bits into my warmed oils and then let it rest until room temp and whizzed with the SB before adding my lye water. I just wondered if it would pose any known issues to do the same in a salt bar recipe because of how fast they set. Sounds like the all clear to me so I'll be off to the races tonight!

Last edited:
I'm going to attempt 2 different salt bar recipes this week and see how they compare in performance post cure. Obsidian's recipe vs the recipe I watched on I Dream in Soap. I'm still pondering scent, though. I'm thinking lavender.

Last edited:
I ended up making a ciaglia salt bar this weekend. I needed some soap therapy.
It came out beautifully. It’s scented with sea salt and cucumber and smells divine. These haven’t been trimmed yet, but this was my first time making both ciaglia and sea salt bars and I’m very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I ended up making a ciaglia salt bar this weekend. I needed some soap therapy.
It came out beautifully. It’s scented with sea salt and cucumber and smells divine. These haven’t been trimmed yet, but this was my first time making both ciaglia and sea salt bars and I’m very pleased with the results.
Those are beautiful! I made the I Dream in Soap salt bar recipe as Ciaglia in cavity molds. They are smooth, but too stripping for me so far. Then again, they're only 4 weeks old. I just got impatient and had to try one. 😂

20230228_183647.jpg

Those are beautiful! I made the I Dream in Soap salt bar recipe as Ciaglia in cavity molds. They are smooth, but too stripping for me so far. Then again, they're only 4 weeks old. I just got impatient and had to try one. 😂

View attachment 71610
Thank you!
I like your idea of making them in single cavity molds. The salt caused sooooo many drag lines when they were cut. Next time, I’m going to try your method!

Update on my above salt bars is that they are absolutely lovely. Not as moisturizing as my 40% lard bar soap, but not stripping at all and lathers quite nicely. I keep meaning to try @Obsidian's recipe to compare, but haven't gotten there yet since I wasn't even sure I'd like salt bars. Lol. Guess it's now moving higher up on my 'to do' list.

Back