All your fault!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(announcer's voiceover) Tune in tomorrow for yet another episode of, As The Stick-blender Turns..... Will the hapless FB group follow A's faulty advice and douse their eyeballs with vinegar, or will they listen to S's lone pleas for reason? (cue ominous organ music). :p

IrishLass :)

Facebook is evil with all the recepies for soap, lotion with beeswax of course (they tons of whinners about separation in lotion duuuh)
I still think the worst is all that knowledgable people about Essential oils, especially essential oils used on children and animals........Horror stories

Your subject "all your fault" got my attention. I was expecting something like "I'm addicted to soap making". Once I started reading I was laughing so hard I couldn't quit. I quit FB long ago and for the same reason. I didn't even leave my page up. Drama doesn't even begin to explain my feelings about it. At first blush I thought the person you described was young, or confused and didn't understand all the different methods for making soap. If you grind up a bar of soap that has already cured, put it in the crock pot and add a few things you can use it. I thought possibly she had confused a microwave dinner with cooking from scratch. Then I realized it was a FB group -- enough said. I got so irritated with someone on FB I wanted to wring that someones neck for giving dangerous advice. I decided it was time to leave, before I screamed bloody murder. Lye burns on a child fall into the same category. It's no wonder those stupid TV shows say "don't try this at home" while they are jumping from the Empire State Building :Kitten Love:

One last thought... By using FB I understood why our govt is so screwed up -- by the people for the people. Sigh...

Last edited:
I'm teetering between curious mogwai wanting to go look, but I know someone somewhere will have too much stupid in them and turn me into a gremlin. Or some sort of evil corrective demoness, and I don't really even consider myself anything other than beginning mediocre. Now ya'll went and done it! Lol.

Sonya has left the building (well FB group but you know what I meant!)

Couldn't keep reading those posts. I get that some people chose not to wear gloves (this is what that post was originally about) but they made it sound ok not to and my concern is there are lots of new soapers finding that group who are going to be massively misinformed.

Sonya, I am the same way about the YouTube videos. I watch them and get distracted from the actual tutorial or process because I'm busy being distressed by the fact that the soapers kid is walking into the frame, their face within inches of fresh soap batter full of active lye. Or their pets. I can't take the poor safety, or lack of it at all, with kids and animals around. It aggravates me enough that as soon as I hear or see a kid in frame, I close it n go to the next video.

But sometimes it's like an accident and you are driving by and can't help but look. I just recently saw another post on a FB group about someone making HP so they can use it right away. I just shook my head and moved on.

On a liquid soaper's FB group there is a thread discussing the pros and cons of using preservatives in LS. To support her opinion that LS does not need preservatives, one person explained that pickles are alkaline with a high pH, and since no preservative is needed for pickles so none is needed for LS.

When I explained that pickles are acidic, she explained that I was wrong. She also informed me that "everyone knows" table salt used in pickling is alkaline. And she suggested if I'd bother to learn about pickles on the internet, I would Know These Things.

Oy. I'm about to bang my head on the wall. :Kitten Love:

I feel your pain DeeAnna. If she had spent any time on this forum then she would realise that you are far more knowledgable than she is and that she's just making a fool of herself.

When I explained that pickles are acidic, she explained that I was wrong. She also informed me that "everyone knows" table salt used in pickling is alkaline. And she suggested if I'd bother to learn about pickles on the internet, I would Know These Things.

Wow, I hope she doesn't teach canning workshops anywhere or anything like that, or else she'd find herself in a pickle for sure. :p Other than that, I just have no words. :Kitten Love:

Maybe FB really stands for FarceBook. Someone made a typo and forgot to include the 'r'. lol

IrishLass :)

On a liquid soaper's FB group there is a thread discussing the pros and cons of using preservatives in LS. To support her opinion that LS does not need preservatives, one person explained that pickles are alkaline with a high pH, and since no preservative is needed for pickles so none is needed for LS.

Wow. I think that I've known that pickles were acidic since I was a chid... Well, probably because they are sour. :) duh! I can see people running with misinformation in some situations when all of their sources are giving the same info. My first google searches turned up faulty information as well (about HP). But at some point common sense should enter the picture. Anyone who has read a bottle of lye should know to wear gloves.

I have to be very careful of the mood I am in to even read the one FB soaping group I am still a member of. I don't really want to be banging my head against the wall, either.

yeah I just was corrected that parchment paper is better than freezer paper for lining molds. The same person told me that she gets the regular plastic bags for 3.99 a hundred and uses her hot gun to shrink them ......................I asked her for the name of the "wonderful" and so cheap bags................no answer , I would be scared to death even touch her soaps. What pisses me off is the tone they use, they know *** t and are trying this very authoritative tone.......... If writing can be describe this way. Most of them never heard about this forum;))
I am not sure stupid can be fixed

I've been using parchment paper because I grabbed the wrong box at the store LOL. So far it's been ok. It's a little thin, and with the thinner batter I used on my swirl soap I had to be gentle pulling it away from the soap, but otherwise it has been ok.

Is there some magic with freezer paper that I should know? Clue me in folks :)

Oh DeeAnna will you please just stop pretending to know what you're talking about!? Seriously? Pickles, alkaline? Kitten Love!!

I found myself typing really abrupt responses in the end so had to leave - I didn't like how I was coming across. That group was so infuriating though - a few members that have been there a while and seem to think they know everything - as a result other members seem to worship the ground they walk on. Oh and I love that one of them thinks she invented soleseife soap

Last edited:
Sonya ... you're a pill!!!

Susie, you've been doing good work on the FB liquid soaper group of yours ... explaining that the cold process method really works. They are having a hard time dealing with the fact that LS doesn't need to be cooked for three days over a fire circled 24/7 by virgins chanting to the soaper gods. :)

I try to remind myself that everyone is entitled to have an opinion. I don't always agree with them, but I don't usually feel a great need to shout loud and long that my opinion is better. But there is a flavor of "don't confuse me with the facts" on FB at times that does grate on me. The alkaline pickles thing is a prime example.

Yep that lady drives me mad too. There's been a soleseife post on my blog for far longer and I quote where I found my original inspiration for it too! Then there's a mean crazy lady who thinks she is the authority on anything and gets really snarky if you help people first, then basically copies what you have said to try and make herself look better.

Yep that lady drives me mad too. There's been a soleseife post on my blog for far longer and I quote where I found my original inspiration for it too! Then there's a mean crazy lady who thinks she is the authority on anything and gets really snarky if you help people first, then basically copies what you have said to try and make herself look better.

Everyone knows Bunni invented soleseife so there!!

Latest posts

Back