Will dispersed micas "keep"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire Huddle

Reaction score
Long time, no dumb question asked, so here goes... Will dispersed mica powder "keep" for a bit, or must it be used soon after mixing?? I'd like to be able to mix some, and then use it a day or two (or six!) later. Is that advisable? And if it is, what limitations or requirements would there be, i.e., sealed container, room temperature, whatever? This is for CP soap. I really dislike making dinky bits of dispersed mica and would like to cut that corner if possible.

Many, many thanks in advance for any advice and guidance. It's no doubt a dirt simple question but I couldn't find the answer online yesterday. And happy soaping in these days of social isolation (essentially the norm for me anyway)!

I don’t know the answer from personal experience, but I have noticed that a lot of the experienced makers on YouTube squirt TD from bigger containers. Surely they’re not throwing the rest away. On the other hand, they always seem to be mixing the micas right before they use them. Some pigments come pre-mixed in glycerin, too, I think.

I think for a few days it is fine. Maybe longer, but I have had some that I've dispersed in oil smell a bit off - not rancid - just off. Maybe just mix up a bit in a small container, cover it and sniff every day to see what you think. I always cover when I do save it for a few days, mainly to avoid accidentally knocking it over and making a mess.

Thank you @Mobjack and @dibbles. It's comforting to know that you've done it before, @dibbles, without apparent disaster. I'll do as you suggest and just test it for myself. I wonder if the YouTubers mix right before use because they are videotaping the process and viewers would probably want to see that step. I know that, as a 3rd-grader (I advanced myself from kindergarten!) in soaping, *I* want to see it. Thanks again. :thumbs:

If they are dispersed in oil they will keep as long as it takes for the oil to go rancid. If they are dispersed in alcohol the alcohol will evaporate and they will go back to powder. In glycerin, they will keep a long time.

Would it be advisable to use pre- mixed micas mixed with glycerine in MP or CP soap, or is this mixture best for MP I wonder?

I premix my water-soluble TD in a condiment bottle with a tight cap, then store it in a dark, cool cabinet.

Although the mixture separates between uses, I simply shake the bottle very well (with my finger over the cap!) right before using it. Having it pre-mixed is such a timesaver!

It lasts a long time - at least two months. It has never smelled "off."

I had a large order once and I only had 2 molds so I had to do 5 separate batches and wanted my colors to be as similar as possible so I premixed my micas in almond oil and had no problem using them after 10 days. I kept them in small glass jars and gave them a shake before using. Additionally, I use natural colorants infused oils that I make myself and keep in jars. I have some as old as 9 months and they are perfect.

Back