January 2023 SMF Challenge – Pick a Color, Any Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to get a light trace and then tried to let it flow evenly while I moved the dustpan around. Pouring it into the dustpan I made sort of concentric circles - each color was inside the last. These four bars were cherry picked - the edges were muddier. And I just got lucky that it flowed off in a way that worked!
Thanks for the tips! I’m sure it’s more difficult than it sounds, and a little luck never hurts, especially when it comes to soap batter!

Even one vote in that contest probably means it’s beautiful! I’d be way too scared to ever enter….so I’m quite sure yours is lovely!
Ugh… it really didn’t turn out the way I envisioned it in my head. Pouring from a dustpan is a whole lot harder than it sounded.
But, like you, I was way too scared to try for a long time so this was such a stretch for me… but I guess a part of that is “showing off” my ugly soaps, too. Lol

Attachments

• FA36A9BF-3E0B-4EAC-9FBD-8790B15AEEB3.jpeg
    FA36A9BF-3E0B-4EAC-9FBD-8790B15AEEB3.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
Lol… thank you for saying that.
Meh, I’ll get it right someday. I do love what some others were able to do with their dustpan, so I think I will try it again. It was fun!

It’s not quite time to post the outcome of this month’s challenge, so how about a monochromatic soap based on orange? The batter accelerated a bit and I didn’t get the intended design, but thought I would share so you can see the color variations based on another warm color. The palette will be great for the fall. The hue is Nurture’s Orange Marmalade plus some color from Orange 6x eo. From top right and down in the top right soap: tint 1 (70:30; OM:Winter White), shade (50:50; OM:Nocturnal - this one looks dark brown IRL), tint 3 (WW with a pinch of OM), 100% OM, tint 2 (25:75 OM:WW), tone (75:25, OM:Neutral Grey). I’m happy to have stumbled across the tone, which is a very warm brown. The dark shade is similar to or possibly a little darker than Nurture’s Mocha Brown.

15607721-6596-44C9-A379-517E1E1C9EF9.jpeg

The winners have been announced in the entry thread:

1st place (tie) - @dibbles and @dmcgee5034
2nd place - @Vicki C
3rd place - @Nicolesica

Congratulations to the winners and everyone who made a soap this month. I loved the color palettes and the designs that showed them off so well. Cheers!
The winners have been announced in the entry thread:

1st place (tie) - @dibbles and @dmcgee5034
2nd place - @Vicki C
3rd place - @Nicolesica

Congratulations to the winners and everyone who made a soap this month. I loved the color palettes and the designs that showed
It’s not quite time to post the outcome of this month’s challenge, so how about a monochromatic soap based on orange? The batter accelerated a bit and I didn’t get the intended design, but thought I would share so you can see the color variations based on another warm color. The palette will be great for the fall. The hue is Nurture’s Orange Marmalade plus some color from Orange 6x eo. From top right and down in the top right soap: tint 1 (70:30; OM:Winter White), shade (50:50; OM:Nocturnal - this one looks dark brown IRL), tint 3 (WW with a pinch of OM), 100% OM, tint 2 (25:75 OM:WW), tone (75:25, OM:Neutral Grey). I’m happy to have stumbled across the tone, which is a very warm brown. The dark shade is similar to or possibly a little darker than Nurture’s Mocha Brown.

View attachment 70674
I love this! I’m always afraid to use the browns, but this is making me change my mind. How did you get that little “splash” on the bar on the right? I’ve never seen that

Ugh… it really didn’t turn out the way I envisioned it in my head. Pouring from a dustpan is a whole lot harder than it sounded.
But, like you, I was way too scared to try for a long time so this was such a stretch for me… but I guess a part of that is “showing off” my ugly soaps, too. Lol
@Nicolesica I remember that soap, I loved your colours. Voting was HARD - so many entries and such skillful artistry! I think we all have to go easy on ourselves and remember that we are in the challenges to learn and to have fun. (and I need to keep reminding myself of that 😂😂 - I've already had 2 flops with botanical colour experiments this week!)

@Nicolesica I remember that soap, I loved your colours. Voting was HARD - so many entries and such skillful artistry! I think we all have to go easy on ourselves and remember that we are in the challenges to learn and to have fun. (and I need to keep reminding myself of that 😂😂 - I've already had 2 flops with botanical colour experiments this week!)
Omg.. I thought it was just me! I’m learning a LOT with this months challenge… not all of it good lol. Tbh… I love my micas too much, but this would be great for a few friends with extremely sensitive skin, so.. I’m giving it a go!

Back