Trouble with first batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I would like scale advice please. I bought a cheap one from Amazon, it measures in the correct measurements but it jumps around so much it's hard to get an accurate measurement. Then I got the Biggest Loser one from Walmart but it doesn't measure in the correct measurements. Can anyone please recommend one that doesn't break the bank, but is a good one? Thanks!

I highly recommend a KD7000 or KD8000. I have the KD8000 and love it. Also, it's not expensive. I got mine from Amazon. Make sure to get the plug for it as well if you decide to get one.

I read that you need it to measure in the 0.05 oz and the Biggest Loser one only measures in the 0.0, so if I need 6.69 oz of water, the BL one only measures 6.6 it doesn't give me the .09 Does this make sense?

nope, just sitting on the counter. it just seems extra sensitive, when I put a tiny drop of water trying to get the right amount it jumps way up sever grams, then I take some out and it is back down too far again, I do a lot of monkeying around trying to get just the perfect weight.

nope, just sitting on the counter. it just seems extra sensitive, when I put a tiny drop of water trying to get the right amount it jumps way up sever grams, then I take some out and it is back down too far again, I do a lot of monkeying around trying to get just the perfect weight.

Try putting a nickel on the scale. It should read 5 grams. Unless it is really old and worn, then it might be a little less.

I read that you need it to measure in the 0.05 oz and the Biggest Loser one only measures in the 0.0, so if I need 6.69 oz of water, the BL one only measures 6.6 it doesn't give me the .09 Does this make sense?

Yes, I get it now. Don't worry about it. You aren't going to find a scale that measures hundredths of an ounce unless you get an extremely pricey scale, like a jeweler's scale. Round lye down and everything else up. So if you need 6.69 oz water, 6.7 is fine.

I put a nickel on the scale, it weighs 5 grams. I had already attempted to weigh my lye, which would only weigh either 3.49 oz or 3.53, I need 3.51, no matter what I could not get it to weigh 3.51. What do I do in this case?
and the salt, should I use my regular iodized table salt or my himalayan salt? I think that might be spelled wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:
done, thank you! my coffee is hot, so I'm waiting for that to cool down, and wondering about the salt.
perfect, I got it to 3.49, waiting to add the lye until the coffee cools down. and wondering about the salt?

Last edited by a moderator:
perfect, I got it to 3.49, waiting to add the lye until the coffee cools down. and wondering about the salt?

Either regular salt or the pink would be fine. If you are just adding a spoonful or so to harden the bar I would just use regular salt, not the more expensive stuff.

Coffee soap is in the mold!

coffee soap.jpg

Thanks everyone. Soap looked great, but here is what happened. I had the soap in my top oven, turned off. I turned on my bottom oven and put a pan of potatoes in it. The steam from the bottom oven vents through the top oven, so my soap was exposed to some warm steam for about 5 minutes before I noticed. The top of the soap feels sort of velvety, it's still solid, and warm to the touch. Did I just ruin it? I've taken it out and am hoping that it's okay. Please advise! Man, just when I thought I was feeling more confident! :(

It's wet. It'll dry.
The extra water on top will slow cure and maybe saponification a bit.

As for scales:
You can find a set of dime scales ( measure to the 0.1 gram) on eBay for a decent price. ( I had trouble saying that). As long as you are not looking for a high range scale. They tend to max out at around 3 kilos ( 3,000 grams or 6.54 pounds). I have two sets that measure to 3K and they are fine for what I am doing. Being able to plug in to the wall will cost $10 more. They start in the USA at about $15.

That is great news Steve, thank you! And thank you for the advice on the scale. Should I put the soap back in the oven to keep it warm (oven off) now that I'm done steaming it? Now that I've looked at it, the middle is getting dark like maybe it's doing something :)

Last edited:
That is great news Steve, thank you! And thank you for the advice on the scale. Should I put the soap back in the oven to keep it warm (oven off) now that I'm done steaming it? Now that I've looked at it, the middle is getting dark like maybe it's doing something :)

It is likely going into gel stage. Perfectly normal.

You can put it in the oven if you want - if you do not have it on, all it will do is keep it out of the way. Which if you have cats, dogs, curious kids/partner might be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back