Trouble with first batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not even rebatch that soap yet. I would unmold it and set it aside. Then I would make a new batch of unscented soap. (any of the aforementioned recipes would do fine) See how that goes. Then, once I had made a successful batch, I would make a third batch and grate up the first batch to use as confetti. I would use no castor oil in the third batch to help compensate for the large amount in the first batch confetti. You use one part confetti to two parts new soap for best results.

BTW- My first batch was an epic fail, also. But I learned so much that I count it as a success, anyway.

I'm guessing that once I use the crock for soap it's finished for food? I don't have a crock dedicated to soap. Can I do this on the stove? I hate to keep putting money into this "hobby" that is creating more stress than hobby. This recipe is a solid shampoo. As for my scale? I bought a less expensive one, can anyone recommend one that won't break the bank? Mine was probably under 20.00.
Thanks for the hug :)
My scale claims to measure accurately in precise graduations of 0.05 grams
And I have absolutely no problem with lard, I use it in my pie crust :)

Last edited:
I use my crock for soap and food, its enamel and nothing remains behind to make it bad for food. You can use a double boiler on the stove but the crock is better.
The scale I use is a $25 from walmart, I've not had any issues using it.

my crock is ceramic, would it be okay to use for both? Do you think I need a new scale? Mine says it measures in precise graduations of 0.05 grams.

That might be a recipe from an experienced soaper but it's not a good choice of recipe for a beginner. Too much complexity, too much castor, and much too large.

I also wonder if the EOs were cut with an alcohol ... that could have caused an instant seize. Just a guess....

Next time this kind of thing happens, you may want to switch over to a hot process method in which you continue to cook the soap batter. It should loosen up as saponification continues and you'll end up with a soap that is safe to use and looks tolerably like soap.

But for now, set your sights on making a good, classic soap in smaller batches. Save the egg yolk, expensive jojoba, and spendy EOs for later when you've built up your skills and have more confidence.

I am also a newbie. I made my first batch of soap right after Christmas. I posted a thread here about a really basic recipe for a beginner and got the following recommendation:

50% lard
30% olive oil
15% coconut oil
5% castor oil

I plugged the % into soapcalc for a small batch (1.5 lb) and made it with no colors, EO's or FO's. I didn't have any problems, and it all happened like I had read on here and seen on youtube videos. It was 3 weeks old yesterday and I have been testing it since week one and must say that it is some really good soap already.

I'm sorry I can't really help you with the batch you have already made as I don't have that much experience, but I did want to give you the recipe that was recommended to me because it worked really well and am hoping it would work out great for you too. I know it must have been discouraging and hopefully the next batch will go smooth with no problems. :)

I use the same crockpots for soap as I do for cooking - they end up squeaky clean after soaping :) Just make sure that the enamel is intact - no chipping.

Bamagirl - thank you for recommending our most excellent basic recipe :)

Good luck! Your crockpot will be fine. Respect the lye, but don't cower before it! It's not radioactive. I have a separate crockpot I use for soaping that I got for $3 at Salvation army. The only reason I have a separate one is that I'm concerned that I will break the crock while washing it b/c it will be VERY slippery! And also I'm concerned about spilling soap into the heating part of the crock. But if I hadn't found a cheap one at SA, I would be using my regular one.

Regarding essential oils, it's good to be particular, but Young Living and Do Terra have a bad reputation around here for being ridiculously overpriced. If you decide to use EOs, we can recommend several good suppliers - Camden Grey, New Directions Aromatics and Liberty Naturals come to mind.

I have never made soap with egg, I am concerned that it might get very gross and nasty smelling in rebatch? If it does, please don't give up!

I use separate crockpots for food and soap, got one for a few bucks at a thrift store. They're both ceramic.

After a year, the one I use for soap is scratched and cruddy looking, and I wouldn't dare use it for cooking. Just my opinion...

I rebatched the soap today, although it doesn't look as I thought it would, it looks MUCH better than yesterday, I don't know if it will be usable but I feel much better about how it's doing now. Thanks everyone!

IMG_20160120_135403199.jpg

It looks much better now and it should be just fine. Rebatch is hardly ever nice looking but its a great way to save a messed up batch. Did any scent remain or did it all cook away?
You might want to find someone who does wood working and have some frames made for your molds. My molds are made from scrap wood and work just as well as over priced fancy wooden ones.

Still smells pretty strong, so I think it still has some scent, I'm sure that will fade as it cures, actually my whole house smells like the soap! Good idea on the woodworking friend (hubby, sons) can handle it, I wanted to make sure I can do this first before I get them involved. Thanks again! I'm going to try the recipe in this thread soon.

A word of caution when using some ceramic crock pots, the lye can eventually damage them. You could still use it for soap, but not food. As far as Essential Oils, there are really no therapeutic class for Essential Oils, even though many sell as such. FDA is after DoTerra and Young Living. You need to purchase quality Essential Oils from supplies such as Bramble Berry, that is hard for me to say... Liberty Naturals, Camden Gray, and most other soap suppliers. DoTerra, Young Living, and others selling outrageously priced essential oils, purchase from some of these suppliers and re-bottle. A few drops of essentials oils is simply a waste of money in soap. Many use 3%, I usually use in the neighborhood of 5% EO in my 5-6 lb soap batches

Until you get a wooden mold made to support the silicone liners Lee Bussy on this forum has come up with a cheap and fairly easy idea.
I used 1.5 inches around of core board just because I had it.

"Get a piece of cardboard at least an inch larger all around. You really can use anything you are comfortable cutting Matting, foam board, whatever so long as it is rigid. Cut a hole in it exactly the size of the outside of your mold. Then cut again maybe an inch or so further out (size/distance is not important and does not have to be exact). You now have the most basic frame to keep your mold square. You can tape this to the outside towards the top of the mold, use it as a "frame" to set the mold down in another box, stab pencils or toothpicks through it to make legs, whatever."

soap mold.jpg

I rebatched the soap today, although it doesn't look as I thought it would, it looks MUCH better than yesterday, I don't know if it will be usable but I feel much better about how it's doing now. Thanks everyone!

And next one of the getting started recipes.

And forms for the silicone liners.

So the addiction ( craft ) begins.

Just (try and ) wait until the soap you are making gets to a good cure say in 4 or 5 weeks. You'll never be happy with a soap from the store again.

Oh look. Wonder if that would make a good soap mould. Can I make soap with XYZ oil?
Yeah we understand.:)

Carolyn, I am learning about EO's and have spent way too much on them in the past. Penelope, thank you for the mold diagram, that will work great for me, for this batch when it was still soft I stuck a big book in between the mold and the pan and that held it up pretty well, I hadn't done it yet when I took the above photo.
Steve, my first batch caused several reactions, I was shaking, sweating, and crying sometimes all three at once during the making of the soap, LOL is this normal?

Steve, my first batch caused several reactions, I was shaking, sweating, and crying sometimes all three at once during the making of the soap, LOL is this normal?

I am sorry to say it is. Next hurdle will be gelling problems and after that dreaded colours. But good times are around the corner when you get to use your soap.

Obsidian's idea (post 16) of confetti-Int a bad batch is also good. It means grating or cutting up a bad batch and adding it to another batch. It makes a sort of terrazzo looking soap. Like this one from vice and velvet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453393895.306190.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great! I don't know if I'll ever get that fancy :) I unmolded and cut mine today, it looks pretty good, time will tell, it's on a shelf curing. I can't stop looking at it!

Back