Trouble with first batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch of confetti that I'll post pics of later today. I just cut it and I used trimmings and scraps for the confetti. Milk soap and confetti! (edit) got it!

DSCF2689.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great! I don't know if I'll ever get that fancy :) I unmolded and cut mine today, it looks pretty good, time will tell, it's on a shelf curing. I can't stop looking at it!

This is not that fancy. It is a great way to use up all the little bits of soap that you cut off to get square edges etc and all those mistakes that just happen. These add up over time.

To make this one you just divide you batter into three. Pour plain batter in the bottom of the mold and level it off. Mix your cut up or grated bits in with 1/3 of the plain batter and pour into the mold next and level it off. Then pour the last 1/3 of batter into the mold. All done.

^^ What penelopejane said.
It's a simple way to use the trimmings from previous batches. You'll be there almost before you know it!
I did a rebatch from some soap that just didn't work out the way I wanted this afternoon and added a bunch of trimmings so I have another darker batch I'll cut in the morning. Cleans up my scraps and "plop and swears".:mrgreen:

Hi All, I did not disappear, I had a family emergency in Texas, I was down there for a few weeks just got back. I plan to make a batch using the recipe someone posted earlier in the thread, probably Monday. I am looking forward to it :) I'll let you know how it goes. The rebatched soap I did a few weeks ago is doing pretty well, seems to be drying nicely and the house smells so good!

My second attempt at soap, it looks really good to me, although I am not sure since my first batch was a train wreck. This is the basic recipe someone posted earlier in this thread, using lard. It's been in the mold for 7 hours and looking really good. It did not go through the "gel phase" that I've read about, hopefully that's okay. So thank you everyone for all of your input, I wasn't even nervous this time. :) I took this photo right after I poured the soap in the mold.

Soap2.jpg

That's a nice looking soap! I bet you really like it when it's finished curing.

My second attempt at soap, it looks really good to me, although I am not sure since my first batch was a train wreck. This is the basic recipe someone posted earlier in this thread, using lard. It's been in the mold for 7 hours and looking really good. It did not go through the "gel phase" that I've read about, hopefully that's okay. So thank you everyone for all of your input, I wasn't even nervous this time. :) I took this photo right after I poured the soap in the mold.
Very nice and creamy looking. Soap does not have to gel but will often stay zappy for 72 hrs and will be softer in the beginning. I do not gel most of my soaps

You have to wait until it is ready to cut. Every mold and every recipe is different.

You will know when you try to get it out of the mold if it is too early. You pull the sides of the mold away from the soap - if the soap deforms or is sticky you have to wait a bit. If you leave it too long it will be easy to get out of the mild but difficult to cut. There is a sweet spot for each recipe.

Okay, now that I have two batches of soap under my belt, I am ready to make a coffee soap. I found a recipe online. Do you think I need to use some sort of calculator to make sure the proportions are correct? Here is the recipe:
Coconut oil, 15 oz
Olive oil 17 oz
Palm oil 12 oz
What germ 2 oz
strong coffee 19 oz with 1 T salt
lye 6.95 oz (for a 10% superfat)

At trace add 5 oz castor oil mixed with 1/4 c coffee grounds

I also have some coffee scent that I purchased at Brambleberry but I don't know how much of that to add.

Advice?
Thank you!

You should always run recipes from the new thru a calculator.

I also would skip the wheat germ oil. It has an incredibly short shelf life - and that means it can speed up rancidity.

If you are doing this as cold process, adding the castor at trace is not needed. Add it all upfront.

As for the fragrance oil, you need to look at the BB site and find the usage rate. it is probably between .5 - 1 oz per pound of oil.

If it is the espresso FO, it discolors - so be ready for that.

Hi Mommycalson! :) - Yes. Rule # 1 of soap-making.....never get caught with your pants down- always, always, always use a soap calculator to double-check any recipe you find online. You'd be surprised at how many new soapers get into trouble by using a recipe found online that turned out to be faulty in some way- either because of a typo or because the recipe was just plain bad.

I just took a look at the recipe and here are 4 things right off the bat that concern me:

1) I feel that the superfat is too high for this type of formula (at least in my estimation); 2) adding 5 oz. of castor at trace is completely unnecessary; 3) the water/coffee level is way to high (unless you are going to make this via HP instead of CP??); and 4) I would use less coffee grounds.

I'm not sure of the intent the originator of the recipe had in mind for adding the castor at trace, but if it was because they thought it would remain as a superfat, then they are sadly mistaken (it will not remain as the superfat).

Other than those 4 things, the formula in terms of the oils/fats %s used looks fine to me. If I were making it, this is what I would do:

1) I would include the 5 oz of castor up front as part of the formula calculations when determining the amount of lye/water to use, and I would mix it in with the other oils before adding the lye/coffee solution.

2) I would use much less water/coffee (14 oz. tops)

3) I would superfat it no higher than 8%.

4) Instead of 1/4 cup, I would use 3 tablespoons coffee grounds, tops .

As for the FO, I would check out Brambleberry's scent calculator on their site.

Hopefully others will chime in soon to add their advice.

Edited to add: looks like somebody just did! :)

IrishLass :)

I would lower the castor oil. Looks like 5 oz is approx 10%. I usually do 5-7%. My only exception was a 90% olive oil bar.

Okay, I plan to do cold process. I wasn't sure what soap calculator to use, any favorites? I've never used one, so any advice would be appreciated. I just tried the fragrance calculator on BB, it asked me for my batch size in ounces or grams. So do I just add up the ounces of the oils? Or do I also add the ounces of water and lye? I appreciate all the help, I'm very new so I have a lot of questions.
And WOW, I just looked at a soap calculator website, that is WAY over my head....closed it quickly.....yikes!

Last edited:
Okay, I plan to do cold process. I wasn't sure what soap calculator to use, any favorites?

I myself am a long-term user of SoapCalc, which I would venture to say is probably the most commonly used soap calculator across soapdom. Here is a tutorial by one of our members that guides you through how to use it: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49627

And SoapCalc itself has it's own tutorial on how to use it on-site: http://soapcalc.net/info/helptext.asp

There is also another calculator that many here have been using of late called Soapee. I've never used that particular one myself, but those that do use it say that it is more newbie-friendly. Hopefully those that use it will chime in soon.

MMS also has a calculator, and so does Brambleberry.

I like SoapCalc because it gives me the fatty acid profile of my soap, as well as other things that I like to keep track of.

I just tried the fragrance calculator on BB, it asked me for my batch size in ounces or grams. So do I just add up the ounces of the oils? Or do I also add the ounces of water and lye?

I've never used the Brambleberry calculator since SoapCalc has a box where I can calculate it, but for what it's worth, most of us figure the rate of scent as per pound of the oil amount of our formulas only.

And WOW, I just looked at a soap calculator website, that is WAY over my head....closed it quickly.....yikes!

LOL I can understand how intimidating it can all be at first, but it'll all make sense sooner or later. Just read through the tutorials and it will become clearer and clearer in no time.

Don't hesitate to ask if you don't understand something. Questions are welcome here.

IrishLass :)

Thank you Irish Lass, it's fair to say I am overwhelmed. I just thought you chose a recipe (like baking a cake) and followed it, no clue that there needed to be calculations. I will do some research and see what I can learn.

If you're serious about soaping, getting used to at least of the calcs is not optional, but required. They might look complicated but they are actually really simple to use - just look at one of the numbered sections at a time and answer that part.

What type of lye are you using? Simple to answer.

What unit of measurement? Also simple to answer.

Before you know it, you're clicking on 'calculate' and seeing then recipe

Latest posts

Back