The joy of soap mold lining...NOT!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a long time soaping beginner who likes flying by the seat of his pants there have been many successes and something short of full blown failures in my soapmaking adventures. Many have been preceded by the thought "I wonder if it's true if..." or "I wonder what will happen if..." and even "I wonder if this will work?"
To be clear, I am a hobbyist, nothing is sold but much may be given and sometimes there is a trade. That's it. Those who sell have good reason to be very particular and I understand. Enough of that, get to the point of all this!! :mad:
Ok. I hate lining soap molds. That's no secret. The silicone lined molds sold by Amazon are good but I dislike the shape. My homemade pine molds are preferred but must be lined. That has always been a source of frustration for me but lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace and counter of the coin saw fit to line them for me. She is wonderful but even she has limits. After reading about different methods and trying many, plastic bags were discovered and I decided to test them out. Naturally, the test would be extreme. It's what I do. I cut a bread bag open and shoved it in the mold print side down, trimmed the edges a bit and taped the sides. Yeah, the ends are wrinkly but that's fine with me. I'm getting wrinkly too. With the mold ready I mixed up a batch of brine soap (first time! why not? another unknown!) using a standard recipe and poured it in the mold. How would the plastic hold up in the oven? Yep, CPOP. This is where I am happiest - the unknown = potential for disaster and a wicked cleanup or success. Left it in the oven overnight and took it out this morning. SUCCESS! Finally I love lining molds . :):thumbs:
Now I might be late to the bread bag show but they are a new, joyous discovery for me. Eezy Peezy. The batch is now on the aging hearth (highly technical climate controlled location) awaiting its turn to go into the climate controlled storage facility - under the bed - with the cat. :D
IMG_2153.JPG

holy macaroni!! I would have thought that the plastic would melt under the temperature.. glad you found a system that you like!

I don't like wrinkly, on me :eek: or the soap mould linings, so probably wouldn't use them, you can have mine. Love that it has worked out for you Dennis and you now have the ultimate liner - not the bread (liner), the lovely wife :).

Call me crazy - I like the freezer paper option the best. Silicon wasn’t good for me. I hated getting them out and dealing with dented edges and corners. Freezer paper takes about 3 mins to line and a breeze to remove...no more dented edges. I think I saw a tutorial on SMF and never looked back!

I agree with others, the wrinkles would drive me nuts. I mostly use my silicone molds and never have to worry about it, however when I have to line, I have a template for all my wooden molds and it literally takes me less than 30 seconds to peel, cut, fold and line my molds with my freezer paper.

As a long time soaping beginner who likes flying by the seat of his pants there have been many successes and something short of full blown failures in my soapmaking adventures. Many have been preceded by the thought "I wonder if it's true if..." or "I wonder what will happen if..." and even "I wonder if this will work?"
To be clear, I am a hobbyist, nothing is sold but much may be given and sometimes there is a trade. That's it. Those who sell have good reason to be very particular and I understand. Enough of that, get to the point of all this!! :mad:
Ok. I hate lining soap molds. That's no secret. The silicone lined molds sold by Amazon are good but I dislike the shape. My homemade pine molds are preferred but must be lined. That has always been a source of frustration for me but lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace and counter of the coin saw fit to line them for me. She is wonderful but even she has limits. After reading about different methods and trying many, plastic bags were discovered and I decided to test them out. Naturally, the test would be extreme. It's what I do. I cut a bread bag open and shoved it in the mold print side down, trimmed the edges a bit and taped the sides. Yeah, the ends are wrinkly but that's fine with me. I'm getting wrinkly too. With the mold ready I mixed up a batch of brine soap (first time! why not? another unknown!) using a standard recipe and poured it in the mold. How would the plastic hold up in the oven? Yep, CPOP. This is where I am happiest - the unknown = potential for disaster and a wicked cleanup or success. Left it in the oven overnight and took it out this morning. SUCCESS! Finally I love lining molds . :):thumbs:
Now I might be late to the bread bag show but they are a new, joyous discovery for me. Eezy Peezy. The batch is now on the aging hearth (highly technical climate controlled location) awaiting its turn to go into the climate controlled storage facility - under the bed - with the cat. :DView attachment 34675

Saw a video on youtube earlier one how to make a silicone mold to fit a home made mold looked pretty easy too not sure how much it costs for the silicone stuff to make the mixture though. Its something im going to look into sometime in more detail to line a home made mold i have on a to do list. Not sure id be able to deal with creases either. Iv never had to try line a mold with paper though

Saw a video on youtube earlier one how to make a silicone mold to fit a home made mold looked pretty easy too not sure how much it costs for the silicone stuff to make the mixture though. Its something im going to look into sometime in more detail to line a home made mold i have on a to do list. Not sure id be able to deal with creases either. Iv never had to try line a mold with paper though

I looked at that as a project but decided against it. My new project is to perfect the custom bread bag liner to be creaseless. I have a few ideas and the bread bags are plentiful. The only ugly creases were on the end but I must pursue perfection to win over those with crease sensitivity.
So you've never lined a mold with parchment paper? Watch the videos, listen to the advice, and go for it. You may be a pro right off the bat. You could also find yourself in that deep dark pain cave, growling and drooling like a rabid dog. It happens sometimes; I've read about it. :(:D

Not parchment... freezer paper. ;)

I made a template for myself, and made sure to mark it with "Do not throw out" written on it nice and big so someone who likes to clean up after me doesn't throw it out.

Wow! You have someone who cleans up after you? Where can I get one of those? :nodding:

I have a template for all my wooden molds and it literally takes me less than 30 seconds to peel, cut, fold and line my molds with my freezer paper.

Ooohhh, what a clever idea. I am going to try that one myself.

Saw a video on youtube earlier one how to make a silicone mold to fit a home made mold looked pretty easy too not sure how much it costs for the silicone stuff to make the mixture though.

Katy Carlson of Royalty Soaps has a video showing how she followed the same video. She starts off loving the lining but a while later she ends up saying that she got sick of the silicone lining always flopping around and purchased some silicone liners instead.

I used to hate lining the moulds with paper until I saw a video on how to fold the paper to fit and now I find it so quick and easy that I have stopped considering making the move to silicone liners.

Ooohhh, what a clever idea. I am going to try that one myself.

Katy Carlson of Royalty Soaps has a video showing how she followed the same video. She starts off loving the lining but a while later she ends up saying that she got sick of the silicone lining always flopping around and purchased some silicone liners instead.

I used to hate lining the moulds with paper until I saw a video on how to fold the paper to fit and now I find it so quick and easy that I have stopped considering making the move to silicone liners.

I did think it was overly big the silicone liner she made in that video. Iv only got to the point of using either individual silicone molds, smaller multi molds i bought for candles and melts that turned out too big or the silicone lined box loaf molds. Not sure id be able to justify the cost of buying the silicone i priced it up a while ago and the amount she must of used to make that is very expensive and might as well buy in a shop or line with baking paper. as yet iv not even had the need to use anything bigger than what iv got im still very much in experiment phase and iv got 3 loaf molds about 16 small individual molds and that smaller multi mold that was only cheap and am tempted to order a few more just because they are nice flower shapes and are nice for gifts.

Think ill have a look for videos on how to fold liners for slab molds iv just setup my microwave in my soaping room aka my spare bedroom so i could always learn and fold while im heating the oils up would give me something to do to keep my hands busy.

Latest posts

Back