Trouble shooting and improving goat milk soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure either ~ the one time I made it, I made my own and I still have some bars left so I haven't made any more yet. Now, that being said, I did use store bought almond milk to make the oat milk. As mentioned in my earlier reply, I use Almond Breeze brand and I get the one that's almond coconut blend and it made a lovely oat milk 🥰
Just sharing my experience, not saying this is what you should do

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_134637529_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240215_134637529_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Yay! I finally got a creamy white goat milk and honey bar using a loaf mold. Did not gel, and also did not have a gel ring. Thanks to all of you for the many pieces of advice!! I took it all in and did some tinkering. This loaf has a 33% lye concentration. I did not put it in the fridge or freezer, following @DeeAnna ’s advice to simply elevate on soup cans and use a fan. I also cracked the window open a bit on a cold midwestern night. This is almost 100% goat milk, except for a small amount of yogurt that replaced goat milk (I read in Anne Watson’s book on milk soaps that fermented milk may be less likely to gel). Other key difference from my previous bars that gelled or partially gelled was soaping in the low 80s and pouring at the very, very beginning of light trace.

A couple of the bars you see here are more yellow than the other 2. I’m not sure why that is — maybe they are from the middle of the loaf and it was warmer there?

I can’t wait to try these! Thanks again for all the input and for all the other good info that is tucked into the nooks and crannies of the amazing SMF!

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm not sure either ~ the one time I made it, I made my own and I still have some bars left so I haven't made any more yet. Now, that being said, I did use store bought almond milk to make the oat milk. As mentioned in my earlier reply, I use Almond Breeze brand and I get the one that's almond coconut blend and it made a lovely oat milk 🥰
Just sharing my experience, not saying this is what you should do
I have been looking for this milk, but so far have not found it in the stores. It will be a while before I get a chance to try it but I’m looking forward to it! Sounds amazing.

How much oat milk do you use? And do you need to do a water discount?
I just replace some or all of my water with the oat milk. For example, if you usually use 300g water to mix up your lye solution, you can use 300g oat milk instead. Be aware that oat milk goes very gluggy when mixed with lye - make sure you stir it until it is fully dissolved and be prepared for it to be the consistency of runny porridge. Some people sieve it, but I don't bother. I don't really want to be working with forcing caustic oat milk through a sieve. It seems to blend into the oils perfectly fine. As a first timer, I would probably opt for half the water amount as oat milk to see how it goes. So, using the 300g example - use 150g water, and 150g oat milk to mix your lye solution - then proceed to make the soap as usual.

I love my oat milk soaps. I make my own oat milk double-strength by using only half the regular amount of water with the oats. I make it in big batches and freeze it in ice cube trays.
When I make soap, I mix half the liquid amount as water with my lye and use the (melted) oat milk for the other half, mixing it directly in with my oils. I use a SB to fully incorporate the oat milk and oils before adding the water/lye mixture. Works great!

I just replace some or all of my water with the oat milk. For example, if you usually use 300g water to mix up your lye solution, you can use 300g oat milk instead. Be aware that oat milk goes very gluggy when mixed with lye - make sure you stir it until it is fully dissolved and be prepared for it to be the consistency of runny porridge. Some people sieve it, but I don't bother. I don't really want to be working with forcing caustic oat milk through a sieve. It seems to blend into the oils perfectly fine. As a first timer, I would probably opt for half the water amount as oat milk to see how it goes. So, using the 300g example - use 150g water, and 150g oat milk to mix your lye solution - then proceed to make the soap as usual.
Thank you!! I’ve made own oat milk for my first batch but it only required 2tablespoons 😏. It was actually more like oat water cuz it was just oats and water, strained.
Another question. Because it’s not real dairy is there still a concern about scorching the soap?

Latest posts

Back