The joy of soap mold lining...NOT!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get mine at the grocery store. I use the white kind that has a shiny surface on one side and matte surface on the other. I've never seen "red" freezer paper, so have no idea if it would work. Butcher paper would also work. (it's basically the same thing) Don't use wax paper as the wax melts and sticks to the soap.
Ok perfect there is a big roll there or maybe I will talk to my butcher

I am a bit confused, but that is not hard, are you saying you don't use any paper, just the foam or are you using foam and then paper? Could you post a photo or something as my head is just not getting it
I use the craft foam on the two short ends and one piece of freezer paper for the bottom and up the two long sides. Years ago I bought a mold that as a selling point didn't need to be lined because it came with the craft foam - 4 pieces total. No fussing with paper, removable and washable. It's easy enough to do - just buy craft foam sheets and trim them to line the inside of your mold. I would use foam for all 4 sides but I don't like the reduction in bar size so I just use the ends.

To me, there is something so satisfying when you pull back the paper from the soap. I don’t get that same feeling wrestling with a silicon mold and see smushed corners.

To me, there is something so satisfying when you pull back the paper from the soap. I don’t get that same feeling wrestling with a silicon mold and see smushed corners.
I know, right? I feel the same.

I am also the one who enjoys doing it, It takes me like 2 minutes to line my log mold. No template
At this point, I probably don't need the template any more but I enjoy the process. I like the preciseness of the template so I'll continue using it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting smushed corners you are probably unmolding too soon. I only get smooshed corners if my soap somehow didn't gel, or and I try to unmold too soon.

Pictures of how I line my log mold - the end is craft foam and then I use one sheet of freezer paper for the rest.
craftfoamend.jpg
craftfoammold2.jpg

Well that IS clever. And you don't get any leaks from the corners?
If I line up the freezer paper correctly, it covers the ends with the craft foam and no leaks. Even if I do get leaks because I was being lazy and not lining up the paper as well as I should have, they don't do more than fill the crevices. I can wash the craft foam and reuse it over and over again which I like. Some people line their entire mold with the foam and then don't need to mess with the freezer paper but I prefer doing it this way.

Lining a wood mold is next on my list.... I've already tried the silicon loaves but I'm still a bit partial to my recycled molds haha

@Dennis, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that.. And all your other posts in this thread lol

@Misschief, thank you for the video.. Your hands are very pretty :)

Last edited:
Can I just say how much I appreciate this thread. I am now using a combination of @Misschief's template and Elly's Everyday video with not cutting the freezer paper, I get a great lining with no leaks.

I used to do the whole wood mold and lining with freezer paper. I finally spent some money and tried a acrylic mold I purchased on Etsy. I loved it so much I now own 4 of them. My soaps have perfect corners and no wasted bars from paper not being folded perfect. Plus clean up is easy, I just clean them under warm running water, let try and ready to use again.

I used to do the whole wood mold and lining with freezer paper. I finally spent some money and tried a acrylic mold I purchased on Etsy. I loved it so much I now own 4 of them. My soaps have perfect corners and no wasted bars from paper not being folded perfect. Plus clean up is easy, I just clean them under warm running water, let try and ready to use again.
I have two acrylic molds. I've tried using them without lining them; the first time, it was fine. No issues. The second time (second mold), I couldn't get that soap out easily for love or money. I ended up putting the mold on the floor and stepping on one edge while pulling the other side. The soap came apart before it came out of the mold. I will never use unlined loaf molds again.

When I started I purchased acrylic molds. I grew to hate them and sold them to someone who liked them. I couldn’t get my soap out for nothing. I had a log and a slab. Went back to lining then finally purchased silicone and never looked back. It’s a personal choice for what works for each person.

Latest posts

Back