Spin swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made all mine in a 6x6 and I only got the middle to go off about 45%. I did make a couple that were super fluid and the middle did move on those a bit more, but not enough to floor me with results.

Well I've been on holiday till yesterday so I only have probably time to have 1 more attempt at this challenge!!

I think I have my entry - this last batch really shows some fun swirls. I'm going to start a blog so I can put these up. I saw someone suggest this earlier and I really liked that idea.

I have two options to submit and I'm in a real quandary about what to do. One version is your regular spin swirl but looks fairly pretty and some nice swirls going on. The other is one where I tried to think outside the box, it definitely looks different compared to the regular one but I'm not sure it's as pretty and pretty seems to do much better in the voting for some reason. It's soooo hard to know what to do for the best.

My guess is that pretty will win over. I would go with your best looker because I do think that is what people gravitate toward. If you did something different AND it was your best looker, that would be the hands-down submission but it sounds like you don't feel that way about your outside the box soap. You can always link up an album that shows your other one.

Yeah I am hoping my 3rd try gets to a point I can cut it soon so I can tell it I am going to use it or attempt 1. 2 was ok - but the black really made mud of the colors. I will give it a wash just in case, and bevel the edges... but I am just not digging the way the colors play.

This high lard recipe is great for staying fluid a long time. But boy does it take a long time to cut, even at a water discount and SL.

Try a lard and high olive recipe Sonya, takes ages to trace so it won't set up too quick like your first attempt. It is slightly scary pouring soap batter so thin though, but all of my attempts have set in the end, as kchay says they take forever to set hard enough to cut though.

My goto slow recipe is:

75% lard
20% coconut
5% castor

How about:

35%OO
20% CO
40% lard
5% castor

Last edited:
Is it on the challenge page? The lard/olive oil recipe?

I used:

50% Lard
15% CO
30% OO
5% Castor

5% SF

33% lye solution

I think the trick is to get it to JUST ENOUGH of a trace that the batter does not mix when poured, but thin enough to still be fluid and swirl when spun.

Latest posts

Back