May 2024 SMF Challenge: Hanger Swirls!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read several comments about Titanium Dioxide on this thread. Has anyone tried Zinc Oxide as an alternative? I will say that I have heard some don't use TD because it may cause cancer. In reality the Acetaminophen I take has TD in it.

Hi everyone,

This is a friendly reminder that the only posts that go into the Entry Thread are your entries for the challenge. That is limited to one post per entrant.

Any comments about the entries should be shared over here on this thread.

@Firefly24 and @akseattle the mods will either delete your non-entry posts or move them over to this thread, per their discretion. I know it can be hard to keep track of which thread you are on, but it's super important to keep the Entry Thread limited to entries only - no comments, responses, or extra explanation posts. Thank you! :)

Hi everyone,

This is a friendly reminder that the only posts that go into the Entry Thread are your entries for the challenge. That is limited to one post per entrant.

Any comments about the entries should be shared over there on this thread.

@Firefly24 and @akseattle the mods will either delete your non-entry posts or move them over to this thread, per their discretion. I know it can be hard to keep track of which thread you are on, but it's super important to keep the Entry Thread limited to entries only - no comments, responses, or extra explanation posts. Thank you! :)
When I put in my pictures for entry they were in the right sequence. How can I fix that? The last picture would up being the first for some reason.

When I put in my pictures for entry they were in the right sequence. How can I fix that? The last picture would up being the first for some reason.
There should be an Edit button at the bottom of your post. If you click that, it will reopen the post as a draft. You can then reorder the pictures, change the text, etc. If you have trouble, try deleting all the pictures and uploading them again.

We can only enter challenge 1x right? This is where I could post my other soap I didn’t use for entry?
Correct!

Wow, all the non entry soaps are beautiful! Here are my second (5-color) and fourth (3-color) swirl soaps. I really liked the 5-color swirl, but I forgot to put the fragrance in, and my cutting job was TERRIBLE. Then I noticed the orange and white spots in it and decided to try again. My second try with the 5-color is what I entered.

The 3-color soap here turned out nice. I would have liked to see more swirling in it, especially with the blue. Also, in real life the blue is definitely blue-green, but it came out a lovely blue color on camera! That one is scented with lavender, rosemary and lemongrass. It's my favorite scent so far!

Attachments

• 20240523_101430.jpg
    20240523_101430.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240527_102742.jpg
    20240527_102742.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is a soap I did with all natural colorants that I decided not to enter into challenge.
My inspiration for colors was a Monet postcard I have. I used Brazilian clay, indigo and spinach. The rest of the bar was left natural with some kaolin clay. The FO is lavender sage with sweet basil EO. I wish my picture quality was better. Not sure how to picture soap better. I will have to work on that.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpeg
    DSC_0010.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2086.jpeg
    IMG_2086.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Just a reminder that the Entry thread closes in about ten hours from now at 11:59 GMT. 😱

That’s 6pm where I’m located; use a time zone converter if you aren’t sure what time that will be for your location. Better yet, post that entry toute suite so you aren’t stressing. 🤗

Last edited:
Yes, I have! I am torn between the 2. One is more dramatic and the other very subtle.
I learned that I shouldn’t have used my wire cutter to cut these soaps. When I took pictures of them the bumps were more prominent. They look so much nicer in reality than in the photos. And I didn’t notice any bumps till I took pictures.
May I ask a question, you mentioned not using your wire cutter , does it cause a. problem with some soaps? I just bought one and am wanting to learn. Thanks for letting me ask.

I'm not entering but this thread inspired me to buy a gear tie and finally try a hanger swirl. It's an OM(no H) ciaglia (using uncolored and yellow scraps). I definitely would like to try it with a more dynamic color scheme in the future. Thanks for the inspo! And good luck everyone. ✨

1716921090545.png

@mary cagle and @akseattle I've asked the mods to remove your posts from the Entry Thread; please repost them here in this general challenge thread. Mary, your soap was so pretty and I do hope you will post it here!

In the future, if you ever post in the wrong place (or say something you'd like to take back, lol), simply click the Report button at the bottom of the post, and ask for it to be moved or deleted, as applicable. :)

Last edited:
My inspiration is for my mom and dad. Lost dad last year and mom this passed February. They both loved gardening and flowers. It was supposed to be reminiscent of flowers. Purple was moms and red was dads. Purple with alkanet is very spotty even after sitting on a warm stove for a few days. The indigo blue is way darker than I thought it would be and I forgot to put the curry powder in with the yellow clay. The madder root, and yellow dock with a pinch of pink clay is nice. Green is green clay with spiralina. (Forgot the powdered chickweed). I did use a mostly lard recipe with coconut, grapeseed and castor oils. It stayed fairly fluid so I could swirl this time😁.

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
My inspiration is for my mom and dad. Lost dad last year and mom this passed February. They both loved gardening and flowers. It was supposed to be reminiscent of flowers. Purple was moms and red was dads. Purple with alkanet is very spotty even after sitting on a warm stove for a few days. The indigo blue is way darker than I thought it would be and I forgot to put the curry powder in with the yellow clay. The madder root, and yellow dock with a pinch of pink clay is nice. Green is green clay with spiralina. (Forgot the powdered chickweed). I did use a mostly lard recipe with coconut, grapeseed and castor oils. It stayed fairly fluid so I could swirl this time😁.
@Nanna did you mean to post this over on the entry thread?

Oh man, voting on this challenge was really hard. It would help if we had criteria, maybe? The entries are truly outstanding. Beautiful work, everyone!
I agree, the entries are amazing this month! Sometimes the challenge does have specific criteria because the challenge is very specific. We try to vary them so that some are more general and leave more room for individual choices.

Back