SMF February Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My failed attempt scented with Green Irish Tweed. Was going to name it"Irish Greens" but have decided to go with "Blarney Stone" instead. Now it sounds like it was intentional. This was done in a loaf mold and I cut it horizontally. Trace was wayyyy too thin. It actually ended up taking 2 hours after I poured it to even be able to put it in the oven to CPOP it. It also leaked a little.

I love Green Irish Tweed! I made a batch recently that I mixed it with Peppercorn FO in a 2:1 ratio, and it is so nice! The batch is 4 weeks old, and the the blend has held up without fading.

I was really excited to try the Peppercorn when I ordered it, but when it arrived and I sniffed the bottle it made me frown...something was just...off to me. It may do great once poured on it's own too, I just haven't yet.

I just searched the forum and found an old message on Lavender, and one person Carolyn Z, reported that she has a Lavender that speeds up trace so much that she can't use it for colors..

I used a Lavender 40-42 a bit more than half and then made up the difference with a lavender FO, Maybe the combination was the culprit.

June, I would suspect the lavender FO. It may have had some other florals blended into it. I often use Lavender 40/42, from various vendors, and don't have a problem with acceleration.

Thanks for the feedback. The next time I do a lavender soap it will only be with the Lavender 40-42 only. I liked it OOB much better than the Lavender FO; but I didn't have enough of the 40-42 for the 48 oz oil batch. Lesson learned.

June, I would suspect the lavender FO. It may have had some other florals blended into it. I often use Lavender 40/42, from various vendors, and don't have a problem with acceleration.

I made my attempt today. I've been sick for the last couple of weeks and figured today was my last chance. I decided to use my 3" round mold just to see if the spin swirl would work and only used two colors since I didn't want to muddy things up too much. I have no idea how this will turn out since it's such a deep mold. Keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't hideous. I did see the top swirling as I spun the mold so we'll see.

I'm going to love this soap even if it is butt ugly because it smells so beautiful. I finally got to use some of the patchouli EO that I've been saving and I blended it with some sandalwood FO, cedarwood EO, and bergamot EO.

I havent posted my actual challenge soap yet but, it was made with lavender EO and I've never had a problem with lavender EO in soap. I use bulgarian lavender and french lavender. Never had a problem. I would bet on it being the FO for sure.

https://www.facebook.com/saponista/videos/564625667049309/

I thought people might be interested in seeing me spin my soap. I stuck a lazy susan on top of a bucket as my mould had a rimmed base so it wouldn't spin without some extra height.

I filled the mould with a drop swirl and swirled it around a bit with a skewer before I started to spin.

I only had one go this month as my dad is seriously ill in hospital so my mind has been on other things.

All the entries so far are brilliant, I had forgotten what a fantastic technique this is and I will definitely be trying it again soon!

I'm also lusting over mintle's soap colors . . . I want to wear them! Also love the feline photobombing and how the kitties appear to be inspecting the soap. Is anyone else seeing some crazy images in the bars far left on the bottom row?

Things are looking great over in the entry thread! Everyone has done some great work, boobs and all, lol. I wish I'd had time to give it try but I knew this month was going to crazy for me. Hopefully March will give me some breathing (aka, soaping) room. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

White is definitely a color! So white and purple is good. I suppose the only thing that would not have worked is if you did a high and low water with just one color, same color in both water amounts.

Latest posts

Back