Rant... Thoughts welcomed.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the customers don't know any better. It's likely she doesn't get a lot of return business, especially if customers try another soapmakers well cured soaps that are made right. It's just so frustrating to see all these folks give out such bad information and newbies think it must be okay.

I may be able to give a different point of view. Not too long ago, I was one of those customers who didn't know any better.

I was looking for a piece of soap that I could use for camping, so I went to the German version of etsy and started looking around. I ended up buying two pieces of hand made cold process soap. As far as I remember, the seller told me to store them in a well ventilated area so the soap could cure and become even better over time. I don't remember them telling me not to use the soap for several more weeks.

Since I was planning on using the soap for camping, I cut it up into smaller pieces. It was still soft on the inside but I didn't really mind because I was sure it would dry over time. Of course I had to try the soap, so I took a shower with it. My skin was a bit dried out afterwards but I thought "meh, it's good enough for camping".

The one thing that bothered me was that I was promised a fresh lemon scent and back then I didn't know that lemon oil doesn't work well with CP soap. What I got was a mix of all kinds of EOs that didn't smell nearly as fresh as I expected. More like a perfume shop after an earthquake with a faint note of lemongrass.

Accordingly, I left a positive review saying that I liked the soap but the smell wasn't really my thing and I would have preferred pure lemon. There were countless other reviews and most of them were positive like mine.

I still have one bar lying around and it is now covered in DOS.

Probably because they were told, "No, your HP soap isn't ready in 5 days and if you think that you don't know enough to be selling" and got butt-hurt and flounced off to a group with lower standards.

I have something that can help these people

1447368920429.jpg

Maybe these folks have never made and held onto one of their bars long enough to know how much difference cure time makes. I recently pulled out a couple of end pieces from batches I made this time last year and the difference in lather was impressive. The scent had definitely faded but the lather was so much more abundant and dense that it almost felt like shave soap lather!

I recently visited a national soap company, they make the soap on site, and I got a mini tour of the kitchen. I asked how long they cure the soap, and was told that it got packaged and shipped to vendors at the 2 week point. I was in shock, this brand is carried by many small gift shops, whole foods etc. It really made me sad that 2 weeks was good enough to ship out. I don't know how quickly the soaps make it into consumer's hands, but when I asked why so short, the girl giving the tour, said they lose more of the scent if you wait any longer.

That makes me crazy... There is a fairly expensive soap shop in one of our ski towns that is selling CP off of their cure rack. They tell customers to wait a week or two before using. I felt a bar, and it was still very soft - like it had been cut that week. You know the tourists buying it will take it back to their hotel, use it, and decide that homemade soap is no good.

Last year, I went to a craft market where a soapmaker was selling HP she must have made the day before (it was an exact copy of a design that had just appeared on BB Soap Queen website - the green one with the gold mica for Patty's Day). I nicely struck up a conversation with her... apparently she learned how to make soap a month before the show. Her class teacher told her she could use it right away. I tried to nicely explain that "can use" and "should sell" are two different things. She refused to believe me - telling me that her soaps hadn't changed at all in the month she was making them. Also, they were all natural and better for you... with FOs and micas. She wouldn't use anything nasty and bad for your skin like lard and chemicals. I excused myself and made a beeline for a divine cupcake made by a lovely woman that actually knew how to bake.

<bangs head>

I really dislike people who ask money for something without knowing what the hell they are doing. Especially when I bust my gut to earn a living doing things the right way. And when health and safety is at stake. Drives me crazy in my 'day business' so it's a good thing I stay in a bubble when it comes to soaping so I don't rip people's heads off. I spend enough time wanting to scream at amateurs charging for inferior work as it is. And frustrated that customers don't know the difference.

Need more wine now.

This thread has been funny to read. I can't imagine putting soap out at 1 or 2 weeks, it's not even close to done, even with a water discount. I love using our 1+ year old bars of soap! Aged quality soap is one of the best things in life. A couple of months cure is where I like to start selling, it's finally at a stage I'm proud of. I am a little crazy though, I love slow processes and practicing patience and reaping the benefits. Fermentation, raising children, soap making, great meals, my spouse -- these are the things that give me pleasure. Money is a nasty motivator, quality is something that's often diminished for the extra buck.

It's kind of nice having such crappy competition though. Those soaps are most likely better than whatever cheap soaps they are used to. If they try out soap from some of the people here they will be mightily impressed.

I am a little crazy though, I love slow processes and practicing patience and reaping the benefits. Fermentation, raising children, soap making, great meals, my spouse -- these are the things that give me pleasure.

So, I'm not the only one! I think I actually am the only one in my area, everyone looks at me like I am crazy when I tell them I ferment and make laundry soap and really, really can't wait to get started making bar soap. I just smile and think "boy they don't know what they are missing" I started fermenting this year and the hubby sure is glad. He loves the fermented pickles and kraut! Now, if I just get to making soap, I am sure he will love that too!

I admit that I start off thinking that the cure time was just for finishing the process of turning into soap. A few of the resources I read/watched at first supported this misunderstanding. So for a while I was under the impression that a sufficient HP cook to remove the excess water was a shortcut around curing.

Now I know better, and have pretty much stopped using HP to make bath soap. I mean, the swirls are much prettier with CP. :)

...and BB Soap Queen is saying HP soap doesn't need the 4-6 week cure.

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...lemongrass-hot-process-soap-on-soap-queen-tv/

Yeah this video yesterday really bummed me out.

Well, technically - she is right. Properly made HP soap is safe to use after the cook. At least she points out that a 4 week cure will make it better.

Just because something is SAFE to use, does not mean it is READY.

I guess this attitude comes from my mead making hobby. Sure it was safe to drink after 2 or 3 months. But it really isn't ready for a year.

So, I'm not the only one! I think I actually am the only one in my area, everyone looks at me like I am crazy when I tell them I ferment and make laundry soap and really, really can't wait to get started making bar soap. I just smile and think "boy they don't know what they are missing" I started fermenting this year and the hubby sure is glad. He loves the fermented pickles and kraut! Now, if I just get to making soap, I am sure he will love that too!

Starting is the hardest part and stopping is impossible!

As soon as our schedules are a little less crazy, I am going to "encourage" my hubby that we need to learn to ferment. We love kraut and pickles, so it is a no-brainer to me.

Fermenting is extremely addictive. I've tried so many things now and almost everything has been great. A short ferment on salsa is AMAZING! The weirdest thing attempted so far is fermented pinto beans. I let them ferment for a couple weeks, then cooked and mashed them (refried style). It was a test to see if fermented beans broke down enough to not cause gas and it worked. It tasted very pleasant and no bloating/gas whatsoever. I really like broccoli and cabbage fermented together to.

Freshly made Jello is safe to eat too, but I think most people would wait until it's set and done.

As far as people leaving here, almost every one I've seen is because they don't like being told things they don't want to hear. "Yes, you have to use a preservative in hydrous products, no there are no exceptions." or "No, you can't say that you make all of your ingredients by yourself unless you're growing olive tress in Michigan and pressing the oil yourself, no matter how much you trust your supplier" or "No your crock pot isn't magic and your soap would still benefit from a cure"

Most of the people that deal with these things time and time again are saints. I try to stay FAR away from facebook, I think it would be bad for my health.

This is more or less what happens anytime I end up there against my own better judgment :)

M4vuO.gif

well, if that gal's criteria for "cure" is correct, then the cp soap i made last weekend is ready to sell this weekend. It's beautifully hard and dry feeling ... That's all that's needed, right? I'm gonna get the labels made an.....

Hey!... Stop! ... Take your hands off me! ... No, don't drag me off to soaper's purgatory!!!! ... Noooooooooo!!!!!

:mrgreen:
lmao!

Not long ago I ran across some You Tube videos on soap making that just blew me away, especially after all the info I've learned here. It wasn't the curing period, and she did stress safety, it was the process itself. This lady was working outside, which as fine but she barely measured anything accurately. She 'cooked' like my Grandma did with food.... 2 big spoons of each oil, just enough water to dissolve the lye then add water from a plastic 1 gal jug added 'until it looked right'. Her finished soap looked OK but I can't see how it could be right. And to imagine she sells it!

Makes me SO glad I found SMF!
Its these types of soapers that give the rest a name.:(

I really dislike people who ask money for something without knowing what the hell they are doing. Especially when I bust my gut to earn a living doing things the right way. And when health and safety is at stake. Drives me crazy in my 'day business' so it's a good thing I stay in a bubble when it comes to soaping so I don't rip people's heads off. I spend enough time wanting to scream at amateurs charging for inferior work as it is. And frustrated that customers don't know the difference.

Need more wine now.
Before I begin making soap, I was always reading my labels of what was in it my soap. I didnt like the fact that most of the ingredients were foreign to me.
Until real soap, I believed that the big companies from china was all there was. I am not surprise that customers don know the difference because no one has educated our customers. The FDA frowns on claims of the essential oil's benefits and herb's healing properties. Because of ignorance, there are people out there that will take advantage.:twisted:

So, I'm curious what your thoughts would be on this...

I made several batches of soap early this year (around February). Soon after, I met up with someone that I only see like once a year. They wanted to try the soap, and since I wouldn't be seeing them for a while I gave them some sample bars. I let her know certain bars were only a couple weeks old, and she should wait to try those ones. One of which was a castille, which I told her to hold off on trying that one a few months down the road. I just verbally told her this, I didn't write it down.

Literally a week later, she emailed me her "reviews" of the soap, including the castille ("it's really slimy, I didn't like it"). So, in this situation, was I the bad soaper since I gave her the insufficiently cured soap? Or since I did verbally tell her to hold off, would I be considered "not guilt"?

Latest posts

Back