Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gripe: went to the Dr again for the pain in my shoulder. Again "couldn't find anything" so here I am in so much pain when I move my arm that I barely move my arm, only doing so when absolutely necessary and out of the 3 doctors I've seen for it, none of them will do anything (much) about it.

Background: A few years ago, the pain in my shoulder was so bad I could barely lift my arm - 2013 I think. I had had pain for a while (few years maybe) but nothing major, it just keep getting worse and worse. Finally decided to go to the dr. (I am soo not a dr person unless I feel it's VERY necessary) well they did an MRI and found that I had a torn rotator cuff and and an inflamed/impinged tendon along with a damaged shoulder muscle (can't remember name of muscle, it's the muscle right under the shoulder blade). Well, they recommended PT for the muscle, and for the torn cuff (which I did) but that didn't help, so then they recommended surgery, which I did. That helped the cuff - made it about 75% better. Didn't do a thing for the muscle (problem is it's always constricted and never relaxes, no matter how much massage and therapy happens it will just tighten right back up within a few hours - they even tried a temporary stint to force it to loosen, all that did was make the muscle tighten around the stint - they claim that has never happened)
ANYWAY, the same pain I had years ago is back and I can barely raise my arm without severe pain. Had another MRI (3rd one now) that AGAIN showed nothing (second one showed the healed cuff, but still the impinged tendon and damaged muscle, this shows same as 2nd) So because there is nothing they can see on paper it MUST be in my head. (Oh and did I mention that the tendon makes it sound like I'm rolling dice when I do move my arm? But apparently "that's normal" even though my other shoulder doesn't make that sound and nobody I know that has healthy shoulders makes that sound, but it's normal...)

One of the dr's prescribed a muscle relaxer, however even at only 4mg all that does is put me to sleep. I have used prescription strength Naproxen, but in order to get any relief at all I have to take triple the prescribed amount, and all that's going to do is ruin my kidneys!!

And this is why I don't go to Dr's.

Sorry for the long rant. But that's what the thread is here for right? LOL

Gripe: went to the Dr again for the pain in my shoulder. Again "couldn't find anything" so here I am in so much pain when I move my arm that I barely move my arm, only doing so when absolutely necessary and out of the 3 doctors I've seen for it, none of them will do anything (much) about it.

Background: A few years ago, the pain in my shoulder was so bad I could barely lift my arm - 2013 I think. I had had pain for a while (few years maybe) but nothing major, it just keep getting worse and worse. Finally decided to go to the dr. (I am soo not a dr person unless I feel it's VERY necessary) well they did an MRI and found that I had a torn rotator cuff and and an inflamed/impinged tendon along with a damaged shoulder muscle (can't remember name of muscle, it's the muscle right under the shoulder blade). Well, they recommended PT for the muscle, and for the torn cuff (which I did) but that didn't help, so then they recommended surgery, which I did. That helped the cuff - made it about 75% better. Didn't do a thing for the muscle (problem is it's always constricted and never relaxes, no matter how much massage and therapy happens it will just tighten right back up within a few hours - they even tried a temporary stint to force it to loosen, all that did was make the muscle tighten around the stint - they claim that has never happened)
ANYWAY, the same pain I had years ago is back and I can barely raise my arm without severe pain. Had another MRI (3rd one now) that AGAIN showed nothing (second one showed the healed cuff, but still the impinged tendon and damaged muscle, this shows same as 2nd) So because there is nothing they can see on paper it MUST be in my head. (Oh and did I mention that the tendon makes it sound like I'm rolling dice when I do move my arm? But apparently "that's normal" even though my other shoulder doesn't make that sound and nobody I know that has healthy shoulders makes that sound, but it's normal...)

One of the dr's prescribed a muscle relaxer, however even at only 4mg all that does is put me to sleep. I have used prescription strength Naproxen, but in order to get any relief at all I have to take triple the prescribed amount, and all that's going to do is ruin my kidneys!!

Sorry for the long rant. But that's what the thread is here for right? LOL
I have struggled with chronic severe back pain for a couple of years now and also could not find any relief no matter what they tried including several rounds of very expensive injections I went to a different doctor and they told me that there is a drug that is normally used for depression but that has had very positive results with pain relief. I was suspicious at 1st thinking maybe he thought I needed an anti-depressant and just didn't want to tell me but I looked it up when I got home and read the studies so I started to take it. My pain went from an 8 to 9 to A 1 on bad days. He prescribed Cymbalta. The 1st 2 weeks were heck because it made me really drowsy but after that it leveled out

Thanks @msunnerstood - I'll take that into consideration.

I need to find a new dr anyway, as our insurance changed and the last dr I went to isn't in our PPO, so when I find a dr again I will bring this up if nothing he finds is a fix.

current temp is -18, feels like -47 with windchill. South Dakota is officially closed! Just kidding, although most of our schools and colleges are closed and many businesses have closed. Tomorrow will be a stay home day for me as well. (Soap or Supernatural binge watching? Stay tuned!) Why do I live somewhere that is trying to kill me?

Still struggling. The house is too quiet. His fur siblings are moping around, reminders everywhere. Its going to take some time. They should be calling any day for us to go pick up his ashes. I think i just need to get through that..

So, so, very sorry about your little buddy! What a great photo you posted of him -- those Eyes!! What a sweet soul he was. Our animal guides are with us for much too short a time ... very sad. Yes, time ... time will do it.
Sending you love!

Had another MRI (3rd one now) that AGAIN showed nothing (second one showed the healed cuff, but still the impinged tendon and damaged muscle, this shows same as 2nd) So because there is nothing they can see on paper it MUST be in my head. (Oh and did I mention that the tendon makes it sound like I'm rolling dice when I do move my arm? But apparently "that's normal" even though my other shoulder doesn't make that sound and nobody I know that has healthy shoulders makes that sound, but it's normal...)

Doctors are IDIOTS!!! I agree with you, I ONLY go if it's absolutely necessary. Western, Allopathic medicine is next to worthless. If they can't suppress the symptoms with pharmaceuticals or cut it out, they are CLUELESS! It's so massively pathetic and disgusting!!

Doctors are IDIOTS!!! I agree with you, I ONLY go if it's absolutely necessary. Western, Allopathic medicine is next to worthless. If they can't suppress the symptoms with pharmaceuticals or cut it out, they are CLUELESS! It's so massively pathetic and disgusting!!
Eh, I'd rather that than the one doctor who told me to find a river and pull some horsetooth plant or something like that (can't remember what he actually said). I'd rather the pain be gone. I went to an MD, not a homeopathic practitioner.

Eh, I'd rather that than the one doctor who told me to find a river and pull some horsetooth plant or something like that (can't remember what he actually said). I'd rather the pain be gone. I went to an MD, not a homeopathic practitioner.

Plants usually work better, imo. ;)
but... Leaving that one aside, I have a truly GREAT massage therapist who I call "miracle worker." PM me if you want her name and number.

Plants usually work better, imo. ;)
but... Leaving that one aside, I have a truly GREAT massage therapist who I call "miracle worker." PM me if you want her name and number.
As for plants and homeopathic medicine, that has not been my experience. It works to a degree, but not as well as pharmaceuticals. At least not in my experience. I was more taken aback, not that he suggested the plant, but that he told me to go harvest it myself from a river, instead of going to a GNC, or prescribing something.

Trust me I've been to massage therapists, PT therapists, chiropractors, the works, the muscle just will not relax no matter what.
It's more the shoulder and impingement that causes the pain though, not the muscle. The muscle has been this way since I was a teen, my body has learned to adapt.

Jeeeez, I ordered KOH 6 days ago and I just got the shipping notice that it's going out today!! OMG, talk about long processing time, Jim! Won't arrive until Feb. 5 now.

So, since shampoo bars are on indefinite hold (maybe permanent hold), all I can make is more bar soap for the next week.

It’s -8 degrees and -35 with the wind chill. Dang it’s cold outside. We haven’t had this kind of cold in years. Feel sorry for those who experience it’s regularly. My old bones don’t like it one bit.

Woke up this morning to -40 with a windshield of -51 c. And a hubby broken down on the side of the highway. Command start does not work in this weather

Yes he was fine. Flat tire. His vehicle was warmer than mine by the time I got to him. He just didn’t want to play with getting the spare tire out without the sun up. Yes the sun makes a huge difference in the temperatures

Yes the sun makes a huge difference in the temperatures
I remember my grandmother's funeral, 10 years ago this week, where I went to Northern Alberta and stayed with my aunt and uncle in their house on a remote lake. I was there for 3 days, and day and night, even with the sun shining on it, the thermometer did not budge from -40 (I don't need to specify C or F, because -40 is where the two scales meet). They built their house next door to where my Grandma lived most of her life and I thought about her living there all those years with no central heating, no running water or indoor bathroom of course, definitely no electricity, traveling mainly by horse and sled. Thought about my Grandpa who came from Ukraine at age 16 and spent his first winter living in an abandoned boxcar before he could built a sod house in time for the next winter. All that they did--in that weather, no less!--and I complain when I have to walk the dog around the block :p

Latest posts

Back